Infertility history

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Russel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How embarrassing ? to the patients- is to take an infertility history?
I get difficulties communicating with my patients especially when I ask sensitive questions such as postcoital pain or bleeding and frequency of intercourse etc? Or when I discuss personal issues with my patients regarding marital relationship or sextual habits. It becomes too difficult when the patient is young shy female or when I take a history from both the husband and the wife togather.
Okay, somebody suggested a history form to be given to the patient to choose either yes or no regarding every point in the history, but I think such closed ended questions method will kills skills a training student should aquired and will decrease the performance of future physicians!!!!!!!!?
Problem is when some patients stop giving history or start giving you a misleading history.. suppose in your final exam!!!

thank you...

Members don't see this ad.

Just remember that you are a professional. Act like it, have respect for your patients and they will respect you.

I suspect in a few of these cases you were actually more uncomfortable than they were. It is amazing what people feel comfortable (and should feel comfortable) revealing to their physicians.

Originally posted by Russel
How embarrassing ? to the patients- is to take an infertility history?
I get difficulties communicating with my patients especially when I ask sensitive questions such as postcoital pain or bleeding and frequency of intercourse etc? Or when I discuss personal issues with my patients regarding marital relationship or sextual habits
It's all about what context your questions are in. If I'm at my gynecologist's office, I'd think nothing of questions re: my sexual activities or fertility history. On the other hand, if I'm presenting to the ED with a broken wrist, I'd think you were being intrusive and weird.

If it's in the context of a general practioner establishing a relationship with a new patient, then those questions can be very appropriate. A brief explanation up front would go a long way toward easing people's unease about what the heck it is that you're doing.

I usually tell my patient's that I'm going to ask some pretty personal questions, and if there's anyone else in the room (mom, boyfriend, son) that they have the option of doing it by themselves.

In regards to drug history, a lot of times, I have to remind them I'm not a cop and its only for my medical relevance... you'd be surprised how many people will then admit their IVDU!

I dont' have a problem discussing sexual history, as I am easily one of the horniest people on earth.
Q