Info already going out of my hippocampus..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplelife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What to do?? I'm getting questions wrong on the qbank that I knew/easy and got right on the NBMEs few weeks ago. What's happening to me?... My plan is to finish UW 2x time this month along with Rx qbank and do pharm everyday (since pharm goes out of my brain easily). I started out on qbanks with 70-80s+ and now it's all going downhill. So depressing and discouraging... :(

Members don't see this ad.

You will have good days and bad days, just solider on. Take time to unwind, stress can do some strange things to people. Take your time to analyse questions but don't overanalyse things after you've arrived at a satisfactory conclusion.

I've realized after a certain point this happens, where you recognize sets of symptoms/signs but stop seeing the whole picture or fail to connect the dots.

Like you see fever, cough, conjunctivitis, coryza in a kid. So you think of Kawasaki disease or adenovirus infection and stop reading. But it also says the child has a diffuse rash, something that your eyes glaze over somehow, missing the diagnosis of measles.

I've noticed the same thing happening to me as well for some questions, maybe a combination of brain getting fatigued and also lazy. Have yet to find a way to combat this, especially when stems get super long and you have to dredge through multiple wall of text questions.

Interesting phenomenon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've realized after a certain point this happens, where you recognize sets of symptoms/signs but stop seeing the whole picture or fail to connect the dots.
...something that your eyes glaze over somehow
Yes! Glad its not just me. I think after doing >4,000 questions or so we've programmed our brain to instinctively pick up patterns of symptoms. Some call it intuition, but yeah, intuition aka brain laziness.

reminds me of this book i read:
http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-Slow-Daniel-Kahneman/dp/0374533555#
In the international bestseller, Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman, the renowned psychologist and winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics, takes us on a groundbreaking tour of the mind and explains the two systems that drive the way we think. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional; System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical

Like you see fever, cough, conjunctivitis, coryza in a kid. So you think of Kawasaki disease or adenovirus infection and stop reading. But it also says the child has a diffuse rash, something that your eyes glaze over somehow, missing the diagnosis of measles.

I've noticed the same thing happening to me as well for some questions, maybe a combination of brain getting fatigued and also lazy. Have yet to find a way to combat this, especially when stems get super long and you have to dredge through multiple wall of text questions.

Interesting phenomenon.

wah, I thought I was the only one drowning. And what you're describing, that's totally me... I definitely know the concept and I do know the answer, but I'm starting to not think properly and recalling info as much as I'm forcing myself to.

It could be due to the fact I'm doing more than 2 blocks per day and my brain is getting tired of constantly thinking for 3-4 hours...lol. I'm trying to finish both qbanks this month, I have about 1445 unused Rx qs and 1153 UW. God, my brain is refusing to work with me... Or it could also be due to the fact that I'm only doing qbanks randomly and not reviewing previously learned material, but I barely get time to review questions so how can I even review previous stuff. Man, I need help managing all of this.

I took my exam this week. I felt like this for the final stretch.

Just take an afternoon or evening off and get adequate sleep. It'll reset your focus.