info on cardioligy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richdill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need info on cardioligy
I am in highschool
I need info on:
Salary:
Schooling:
benefits:
hours:
pros:
cons:
avalibility of hiring:
ect.
:confused:
e-mail responses to: [email protected] :clap:
I'm +pissed+ that I can't get answers

Members don't see this ad.

richdill said:
I am in highschool
I need info on:
Salary:
Schooling:
benefits:
hours:
pros:
cons:
avalibility of hiring:
ect.

Are you serious or just kidding?

For now, it is sufficient if you learn the correct spelling of the specialty - it's cardiology, not 'cardioligy'.

Anyway not to disappoint someone who plans ahead...

Salary: Great. Depends, but mostly 200K +
Schooling: 4 years college + 4 years medschool + 3 years residency + 3 years fellowship
benefits: Everything from cars to chicks... :D
hours: Usually bad.
pros: $$$
cons: Lifestyle.
avalibility of hiring: Good.
ect. That's etc., short for etcetera and not 'ect'.

:thumbup:

addicted2hope said:
ect. That's etc., short for etcetera and not 'ect'.
unless he means electroconvulsive therapy, though in that case he'd be asking about the wrong specialty. :p

also, from the little that i know, fellowship spots are considered extremely difficult to obtain because so many people want to do it (though i hear GI is even worse now because there are far fewer spots). i believe there is a cards match, though i don't know any percentages about matched/unmatched.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cardiology, eh? Are you in a 'top 10' high school or just a loser state or township high school? You may want to get your family to move. And what are your motivations? If you are one of those guys whose favorite subject is 'lunch' or 'recess', you may not fare as well. Are you in it just to make extra lunch money or because you need to get into a 'Dave Matthews Band' concert? Hours-wise, unfortunately, cardiologists generally work past 3 PM, which may be something you have to get adjusted to.

I hope this advice helps!

:smuggrin: (Waitin' for my karma to go south!)

richdill said:
I am in highschool
I need info on:
Salary:
Schooling:
benefits:
hours:
pros:
cons:
avalibility of hiring:
ect.
thank you for the info

Hey richdill, I want to apologize for some of the earlier replies you recieved, I bet those people are more immature than most people at your school. Basically, you don't have to move or anything drastic like that.

I would venture to say that becoming a cardiologist is easier nowadays than becoming a successful businessperson. Just do well on the SAT's, go to a reasnably well college with the goal of maximizing your GPA and scoring well on the MCAT. Once you're in medical school it's all downhill.

So, the bottom line is: relax. Work hard, but don't loose any sleep over it. But it's good to hear young people interested in their futures. Keep it up!

rgizmo said:
Hey richdill, I want to apologize for some of the earlier replies you recieved, I bet those people are more immature than most people at your school. Basically, you don't have to move or anything drastic like that.

I would venture to say that becoming a cardiologist is easier nowadays than becoming a successful businessperson. Just do well on the SAT's, go to a reasnably well college with the goal of maximizing your GPA and scoring well on the MCAT. Once you're in medical school it's all downhill.

So, the bottom line is: relax. Work hard, but don't loose any sleep over it. But it's good to hear young people interested in their futures. Keep it up!

I can almost read richdill's personal statement for his fellowship in Cardiology in 2014...

I have been interested in Cardiology since I was in high school. I remember when I was fifteen and I posted on the Student Doctor Network asking about the specialty of Cardiology and the people on the board made fun of me... but there was one person who was sympathetic to me and encouraged me. His name was rgizmo...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you grow up, if you still feel raw about it, I'll be waiting.

The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am surprised that no one has mentioned the importance of research to pad that fellowship application! my preceptor is a cardiologist and told me that they get 400+ fellowship applicatons each cycle, they interview about 100 of those looking for students who stand out. one way to do this is through research... it doesn't necessarily have to be related to cardiology... anything works. if you get on a project now (association of homocysteine levels and ischemic heart disease is hot!!) you should have a few publications by the time you apply. also, buy one of those "human heart" key rings, it helps keep me motivated when i'm reading robbins by candlelight. try to stay enthusiastic on valentine's day, it is the one time of the year us future cardiologists live for. hope this helps.

PS. learn those ECGs now (ie. RBBB, LBBB... can you count 3 squares and know the difference between up and down??? that's all it takes to diagnose BBB!!)

How about match success for DO's into cardiology?

I'm guessing the competitiveness would make it more realistic to match into a DO residency, but I'm not really sure...

Anyone who starts off by asking the salary of a cardiologist should not be doing cardiology. I heard that Wall street and selling houses are a better occupation...