Info on Univ North Texas (TCOM) Medical Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobsagat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I know that some people might be reading this forum because they're worried about their chances in the Texas med school match. I just wanted people to know I'll be posting some info here about the program very soon. I'm currently in the program and have already been offered a pre-match acceptance, so I'd definitely say it's helped my application. If, in the meantime, you have any questions about the program, send me a PM and I'd be glad to answer any questions you have.

Official school info on the nature of the application and the curriculum can be found here.

Members don't see this ad.

applicant said:
Hi, Bobsagat

i am post-bacc trying to apply to medical school and new to this process. If I dont get in this year...which looks like I might not....i might apply to TCOM masters program but I tried to get answers to me questions and can't get any responses from there. I already have a BS and Masters in Civil Engineering and have yet to take organic chemistry which I will finish by July2009. I have a few questions regarding the program if you dont mind answering them.

1. Are there any required prerequiste courses needed before applying to this program? If so, what are they specifically?

2. Is this program a guaranteed admission for TCOM matriculation?

3. Students completing this program able to apply to other medical schools?

Thanks
Unfortunately the program would begin May 2009, so if accepted to the program you would have to do one of the following: either complete the organic chemistry in the spring before matriculating into the program, or take the course during the summer along with biostatistics and the optional MCAT prep. If you are attending classes near Fort Worth already, I would definitely say that option 2 is doable, but option 1 is ideal. Answers to your questions:

1. There are no specific prerequisites above the general prerequisites for admission to Texas medical schools. UTHSCSA's program requires biochemistry, which is your first course in the fall, but as long as you've taken the courses covered on the MCAT you should be fine.

2. No, there is no guaranteed admission to TCOM from the program. The program website recommends that students interested in TCOM should maintain a GPA of 3.5 or above in the program, though there have been students that achieve this without being accepted and students that were accepted with lower program GPAs.

3. Students are definitely allowed, and even encouraged, to apply to more medical schools than just TCOM. Several students have been accepted to other medical schools so far this cycle.

Also, here's a quick link to an admissions FAQ: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/gsbs/MEDSFAQADM.cfm

Here's some quick info on the UNTHSC medical masters program.

UNTHSC's Masters of Medical Sciences is a one-year year-round (May to May) premedical graduate masters program. It is one of two formal post-baccalaureate/graduate premedical programs in Texas according to AAMC, the other being offered at Lamar University. It is the only such program offering a degree for its completion (an MS). The curriculum is listed on the program's website, (which can be found here) so I won't go into details, but it's designed to give a very good base in the hard sciences while also giving students a taste of medical liberal arts with classes like biomedical ethics. Also included in the curriculum are workshops on applying, writing personal statments and interviewing, and there is an optional MCAT course taught by Princeton Review over the summer for a substantially reduced price vs. other PR courses.

Lectures are currently administered to students in many different arms of the grad school of biomedical sciences at one time. This has led to some frustration among med masters students, since many professors focus (and test) on their own research and outline certain research methods that are useless to anyone in a clinical setting. The program's administrators have expressed to us that the plan for next year is to instead separate the med masters students from traditional GSBS students and have the classes taught separately. I can't guarantee it will work out that way, but I see it as a big plus for the program. Students would end up getting a curriculum that is much more focused to their interests than they would in any other setting.

It is a graduate-level program, meaning that all classes are taught with the assumption that one has completed the acceptable undergrad coursework. The online course catalog states that anyone applying to the UNTHSC Grad School must have a degree in biology, chemistry or biochemistry. I don't know for sure that this holds true for med masters applicants, so you should check with the admissions office if you plan to apply with a BS or BA in a different major. A GRE score is not required for admission, but an MCAT score is.

Students accepted are strongly encouraged, though not required, to apply to both TCOM and to other medical schools during the year-long program. Students in the program are automatically guaranteed an interview at TCOM, but not an acceptance. According to a paper published in the AAMC's official journal, as of Spring 2007, 101 students had completed the program, (after six years of the program's existence) and 70 of them had been admitted to medical schools. This is considerably impressive considering that most of these students were denied admission at least once previously.

I know that his is just anecdotal evidence, but I believe that Texas A&M looks very favorably on the program's students. So far three students that I know of have been accepted to A&M's medical school, (the most of any school so far, again that I know of) and everyone that I have spoken with who has multiple interviews at Texas MD programs has had an interview at A&M.

I know that I sort of rambled a bit here, but hopefully this will clarify some of your questions about the program. Considering I've been accepted already :soexcited: I am quite satisfied with the program. Feel free to PM me or post here with any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I'll bite. How do grades work with TMDSAS? Like, are your grades for the program calculated into your overall GPA or not? Also, since apps could be submitted before any kind of grades come out for the program, (I'm guessing), do you just send updates to the schools or what? Or are there some grades that come out early enough to be submitted with the application?

Obvioulsly I'm worried that my grades are keeping me out of med school and my GPA will prob go down another .03 points after this school year. :rolleyes:

Ok I'll bite. How do grades work with TMDSAS? Like, are your grades for the program calculated into your overall GPA or not? Also, since apps could be submitted before any kind of grades come out for the program, (I'm guessing), do you just send updates to the schools or what? Or are there some grades that come out early enough to be submitted with the application?

Obvioulsly I'm worried that my grades are keeping me out of med school and my GPA will prob go down another .03 points after this school year. :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, since it's a graduate program, your grades will only be calculated as part of a graduate GPA, not undergrad.

The program does start in the summer, so you will get to send in a transcript for your biostats grade, (4 credits) and biochemistry is finished in the first half of the fall, (another 4) before cell bio starts. So there are some grades that you'd get to send in. But if you're looking to improve your undergraduate GPA before the pre-match, this program isn't going to help you.

Honestly, I think just being in the program and passing the curriculum is enough to impress a large portion of admissions people.

Hey Bobsagat,

Is the program fairly competitive? Do you know the avg GPA of the accepted applicants? What do they look for in applicants?

Hey Bobsagat,

Is the program fairly competitive? Do you know the avg GPA of the accepted applicants? What do they look for in applicants?
That's a really good question. I know that MCAT can sometimes factor into things, as well. I'd suggest you look up either Carla Lee or Pam Gwirtz on the UNTHSC website and try emailing them. We're all folks that missed the cut the first time through for the most part, though, so there's no one in the program with an MCAT above the low thirties or a GPA above a 3.7 at MIT or anything like that. Sorry I can't help more.

Thanks for your posts. Give me pretty good picture of this program.
Your MCAT scores are really good, do you attribute this success to this program? Did others in program had similar experience or improvement? Any pre or post bac MCAT data or anecdotal obsrevations.

Could you describe a "typical day" in this program? What did you find to be most challenging about the program?

wow... thanks so much for this.. i'll be putting my app together for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I'm just getting to these, folks. I have been out of town the past week.
Thanks for your posts. Give me pretty good picture of this program.
Your MCAT scores are really good, do you attribute this success to this program? Did others in program had similar experience or improvement? Any pre or post bac MCAT data or anecdotal obsrevations.
The MCAT score on MDapps is my second time around. I left an entire verbal passage blank the first time through, but an improved verbal score only counts for so much. I actually improved more in bio.

The MS program contracts Princeton Review to teach an optional accelerated prep course. I think it helped me a lot, especially with bio. (having been a chem major) But your results will vary. It may be a good idea to ask other folks you can find in these forums who have completed the program, and see what they think, since I don't think my original MCAT score is typical of those in the program (31).
Could you describe a "typical day" in this program? What did you find to be most challenging about the program?
The typical day really depends on the time of year. In the summer we had two optional courses, a biochemistry course and the MCAT prep course. That means that some folks had days that were full of class and others just had class twice a week for two hours. During the fall, we had class every day 8-10 (biochem or cell bio), with afternoon classes on Tuesday (intro to health disparities) and Wednesday (intro to epidemiology). Spring semester I'm not certain, since anatomy seems to be pretty random for days of class and lab. I do believe we have lots of morning classes, though.
wow... thanks so much for this.. i'll be putting my app together for this.
Glad to help! If you have quesitons, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for taking time to help out others

Do they accept out-of-state applicants?

Do they accept out-of-state applicants?
Yup. I don't know if they give any preference to in-state students, but I can think of one just right away from Georgia.

Of the 65 students in our class, we had over 30 pre-match offers to Texas medical schools. The Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine reserves at last 10% (or 18 spots) for students in this program Last year 23 of the 45 or so students chose to attend TCOM.

We get a great foundation in biochemistry and cell biology, as well as pharmacoloy and physiology. We attend some classes with the medical students, and we have have 1 semester of gross anatomy with human cadavers.

There were also 15 scholarships for full tuition and fees (around $~7K total for the program for in state residency) given for our class of 65 students.

If you do this program, do you become a Texas resident at the end of it?

Do alot of people get accepted somewhere during the program, or do they typically get accepted the cycle after the program ends?

Do alot of people get accepted somewhere during the program, or do they typically get accepted the cycle after the program ends?
Nearly everyone from the program that gets an acceptance gets it during the program, and almost everyone in the program is applied to medical school in 2008-2009 cycle.
If you do this program, do you become a Texas resident at the end of it?
I'm not really sure, since I've never had to look extensively at the rules of Texas residency. I believe it would certainly help, but you may want to talk to someone in med school admissions or in TMDSAS.

Seriously..thanks so much for starting this! I have been planning to apply to this since May 08 and have asked the admissions ppl so many questions and now as the deadline approaches I am super nervous!

Best of luck to all applicants!

And thanks so much for starting this thread!

i was unable to find out how many if any rec letters were needed for this? i am pretty sure there are. Would it be ok to use the rec letters you used for med school? one essay is about a statement of your professional goals is it ok to use your med school personal statement? thanks :)

I actually finished sending all my materials to the program last week, end of Feb. Prior to this, when e-mailing an admissions counselor to the program, she said it was great to send the committee letter from my undergraduate university that I used to apply for medical school instead of individual recommendation letters.

Also, I wrote up a separate essay for the 'professional goals' essay that was geared more specifically toward how prior medical experiences have helped me to determine my professional goals in medicine. Next, I talked about which specialties I am interested in. Finally, I explained how my participation in the program would provide an opportunity for my goals to come to fruition.

Hope any of that helped. Good luck to us all!

Bob Sagat---A few questions if you get a chance...

When did you hear back about your acceptance into the program--is it pretty quick or a bit of a waiting game? When do you have to let them know about re-taking the MCAT and a date to re-take? Do you feel like someone in the program would have time for a part-time job in addition to going to school? It might be necessary in my case--that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance for any answers you may have!

Hey bobsagat, so were you saying in your earlier post that the annual tuition for Texas residents is $7000 annually? Or that the people who earned scholarships paid $7000 annually? I was curious because I had looked up a cost sheet for annual tuition at UNT HSC and it listed the total cost at about $20,000.

Also, just out of curiousity, about how many people would you say got interviews from medical schools besides TCOMM? I know that TCOMM looks favorably upon their own Medical Masters students, but I was curious to see how other medical school view them.

Thanks,

I called UNT's Admissions for the Medical Master's Program Friday, and for anyone wondering they usually let applicants know an admission's decision mid-April. Just FYI. :)

yes they told me by April 10 as well

Hey bobsagat, so were you saying in your earlier post that the annual tuition for Texas residents is $7000 annually? Or that the people who earned scholarships paid $7000 annually? I was curious because I had looked up a cost sheet for annual tuition at UNT HSC and it listed the total cost at about $20,000.

Also, just out of curiousity, about how many people would you say got interviews from medical schools besides TCOMM? I know that TCOMM looks favorably upon their own Medical Masters students, but I was curious to see how other medical school view them.

Thanks,
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been by here for a little while. Annual tuition for TX residents is somewhere around 7k+, and total cost (including living expenses) is around 20k, so that's the amount you'd qualify for in student loans + grants.

I couldn't tell you how many people got other interviews, but I'm sure it was quite a few. At this point we have at least 10 or 11 (that I can think of off the top of my head) students in the program who've been accepted to other places. About half of these will be going to A&M next year. A&M admissions seems to really look favorably on us.

i was unable to find out how many if any rec letters were needed for this? i am pretty sure there are. Would it be ok to use the rec letters you used for med school? one essay is about a statement of your professional goals is it ok to use your med school personal statement? thanks :)

It tells you when you submit the appl. that you need 2 rec. letters and it also tells you that at the actual GSBS website...

I'm scared because I just submitted my appl. but had all transcripts, fees etc. sent there in feb. and The admissions personnel told me there was no form needed, but when i just submitted there was a "rec. evaluation form" so i'm super worried they will think i'm stupid and cant follow directions...!!!

How many ppl applied on sdn? Best of luck to you all! Hope we all make it..I have been planning for this program since jan. 2008, so i really hope i make it!!!!

Yeah.. I'm in a similar situation.. I had the LORS mailed before I saw that evaluation form. I guess it's time for plan B. :(

Yeah.. I'm in a similar situation.. I had the LORS mailed before I saw that evaluation form. I guess it's time for plan B. :(
Hey, i emailed Ms. Griffith this morn. and she said don't worry about the eval. forms!

how strict is their gpa requirement required to apply to their program?

Hey, i emailed Ms. Griffith this morn. and she said don't worry about the eval. forms!

I called as well.. I was told that they are optional and that a "grace period" of about a week will be allowed for supplemental application materials to arrive (including LORS). They're processing applications in the order that payment is recieved.. shortly after that, an email will be sent with an EUID which will allow us to check our application status.

And to think I wasn't going to call for fear of bad news! :laugh:

oh i didnt know about those letter eval forms either yikes i hope likeyall said its ok...also for those of u applied do yall still have things in ur to do list if not how long did it take for it to go once u had everything submitted.

In my to do list it also says essay and statement of professional goals. I believe that was what we typed in our app. Do you all have that?

Good luck everyone.

Once I submitted my application, it took a few days to be processed and completed. I completed my app. about 2 weeks ago~~but they processed my app. after they received alllll materials including transcripts & LOR from Georgia.

I did not use the eval. forms since I had my committee eval. sent in from my undergrad university.

Good luck you guys!! They mentioned that 250 applied this year, and they are planning to take 100 ppl. (That's what they said when I called a couple weeks ago.)

Once I submitted my application, it took a few days to be processed and completed. I completed my app. about 2 weeks ago~~but they processed my app. after they received alllll materials including transcripts & LOR from Georgia.

I did not use the eval. forms since I had my committee eval. sent in from my undergrad university.

Good luck you guys!! They mentioned that 250 applied this year, and they are planning to take 100 ppl. (That's what they said when I called a couple weeks ago.)

how strict is their gpa requirement required to apply to their program?

Well since this is a post bacc program, every application is looked at....it just depends on the appl. but the avg. gpa is 3.1 and 25 mcat....(is what ms. griffith told me)

Thanks for the info.! I think perhaps it might be around 300 appl. by now? since alot sumbitted on thurs./fri. like me

Wow, 100 ppl. I think thats the highest number yet...and 40 higher than last year (she told me there were 65 seats last year). Isn't this almost as much as the actual med class? Thats really cool. As a texan, I have to say I'm impressed that this program is def. growing

On the con side though, since some (about 4-5 classes) of the cirriculum is the same as all Masters classes I wish they would let in every applicant, but I'm sure they can't b/c of Gross Anatomy...

Is anyone applying to out of state masters programs along with the UNT one?

Thanks for the info.! I think perhaps it might be around 300 appl. by now? since alot sumbitted on thurs./fri. like me

Wow, 100 ppl. I think thats the highest number yet...and 40 higher than last year (she told me there were 65 seats last year). Isn't this almost as much as the actual med class? Thats really cool. As a texan, I have to say I'm impressed that this program is def. growing

On the con side though, since some (about 4-5 classes) of the cirriculum is the same as all Masters classes I wish they would let in every applicant, but I'm sure they can't b/c of Gross Anatomy...
Actually, this year we started with almost 70, but a few were accepted off of waitlists or took a leave of absence. And no, the med school class at TCOM is much bigger, something close to 200 I believe.

Is anyone applying to out of state masters programs along with the UNT one?

I have been looking at a few to apply in case UNT doesn't work out. Since we find out in April, there is plenty of time to consider others that have deadlines of June 1. Georgetown looks like a strong program (expensive though ~40000), and they also have a summer program that looks enticing. Tulane is another program that I think looks strong--the physiology SMP (from what I can read anyways...). I am not sure how an OOS SMP would affect Texas Citizenship for TMDSAS though.... that's the only thing that concerns me about leaving the state.....

Does anyone know anything about whether there are opportunities and/or time availability to work part-time while in a post-bacc SMP?? I'm sure they keep you busy, but I haven't been able to get any feedback on this to find out if it's a possibility...??

Actually, this year we started with almost 70, but a few were accepted off of waitlists or took a leave of absence. And no, the med school class at TCOM is much bigger, something close to 200 I believe.

so they do have a waitlist? yay!! i was going to ask that! How do you get on it?

Does anyone know anything about whether there are opportunities and/or time availability to work part-time while in a post-bacc SMP?? I'm sure they keep you busy, but I haven't been able to get any feedback on this to find out if it's a possibility...??

Pm Bobsagat! I asked him the same thing!

You might be able to hold down a job in the summer, but you may have trouble working for anything more than part time after the summer is over.
so they do have a waitlist? yay!! i was going to ask that! How do you get on it?
I actually meant that they were accepted from a med school waitlist and left the program. I know there is a waitlist, but after classes begin in May, things are set. Concerning how long the list is, you'll just have to call someone to find out I think.

I was just wondering if anyone who applied toward the last few days just before the deadline have recieved their EIUD's? I'm hoping everything has been recieved.

I sent some of my stuff the weekend before the week of the deadline. I called on the 11th to see if they had received some of my stuff and she said they had ... but were waiting on the rest. I got a EUID after applying to TCOM, so I have been checking and it says I have everything missing ... even stuff that is a component of the application. I guess we just have to be patient and give them time to apply everything.

I was just wondering if anyone who applied toward the last few days just before the deadline have recieved their EIUD's? I'm hoping everything has been recieved.

I received my EUID a few days ago. Trying to make a password that fits their requirements is a pain, but not too bad. Just checked the status of my application and everything was complete.

I would call the GSBS admissions office and ask about your EUID if you don't get it by today.