Info on Univ North Texas (TCOM) Medical Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone hear anything today? nothing on my end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy Guys. Got the acceptance email yesterday (completed app March 14th or 15th).

Question: If I (or anyone else who is in this boat) am wanting to apply relatively early, should I wait to apply until I've completed the application workshops or should I try to get the TMDSAS done ASAP? TMDSAS opens May 1, Med Sci starts May 28, and I'm assuming the application workshops take place relatively early in the program. I don't know that one month would make that much of a difference to admissions committees if I'm still getting my app in sometime in June, but I'm thinking the sooner I get it done the better.

Any knowledge/thoughts/educated guesses regarding this?

Howdy Guys. Got the acceptance email yesterday (completed app March 14th or 15th).

Question: If I (or anyone else who is in this boat) am wanting to apply relatively early, should I wait to apply until I've completed the application workshops or should I try to get the TMDSAS done ASAP? TMDSAS opens May 1, Med Sci starts May 28, and I'm assuming the application workshops take place relatively early in the program. I don't know that one month would make that much of a difference to admissions committees if I'm still getting my app in sometime in June, but I'm thinking the sooner I get it done the better.

As long as you're done by the 1st few days of June you should be fine. If I recall correctly, the application workshops are in the 1st few days. So, I'd probably get everything ready to go, and then make any necessary changes as needed after the workshops, and then submit.

It's better to submit a quality application even as late as August or September than a mediocre application in May.

Now I'm worried...I was complete Mar 11 and haven't heard anything :/

Like TruckGuy said I would go ahead and fill out all of the applications and have the essays done and ready to go before you start the program. That way you can get the information that you need from the workshops and edit your essays and applications accordingly. Also, it may be good to exchange essays with other people just to see how they wrote theirs. This may help you answer one of the prompts in a way that you had never thought of, the adcoms are reading hundreds of these things and the more you can make yours unique (but still applicable) the better off you will be.

This applies to your secondaries too, and if you are applying to out of state DO schools it is going to take you a LONG time to get through all of the essay. If you are applying to Rocky Vista I would start with their secondary first because their prompt is really long with multiple essays that cover most of the topics from all the other schools. You can use your RVU secondary as a template to answer 80-90% of the other secondaries.

Has anyone heard anything? This is getting brutal. I was reading the posts from last year and I noticed several people didn't hear anything until the first week of May...ugh!

No...I'm in the same boat. I just NEED to know. I'm going nuts.!

When was your app complete?
3/11. Do they send an email if they've decoded to put a person on the waiting list? Or if rejected? I'd like to know either way. The portal only says "application complete." I wonder when they'll send out notices again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today, guys and gals. I'm sure they are reviewing number of applicants each day and sending out acceptances slowly. Just hold out a little bit longer! I'm excited to see everyone in May.

Accepted today, guys and gals. I'm sure they are reviewing number of applicants each day and sending out acceptances slowly. Just hold out a little bit longer! I'm excited to see everyone in May.
Congrats :) when were you complete w/ the app?

Yes. One from a professor I did research with and the other from a class I really enjoyed. Good luck!

Has anyone else heard anything?? I'm still waiting. I was complete around ~March 14th :(

My application shows submission on 3/18 and haven't heard anything yet either! :lame: But one of my friends who is currently in the program said that they accepted a LOT of students during the last week of April, so hopefully we find out soon! :)

My application shows submission on 3/18 and haven't heard anything yet either! :lame: But one of my friends who is currently in the program said that they accepted a LOT of students during the last week of April, so hopefully we find out soon! :)

I love your optimism shreyarani! Maybe this will be our week! :)

Just received my acceptance letter today! I guess I'll be seeing y'all in a few weeks for orientation! Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back.

You received a letter? Or email? Just wondering bc I'm anxiously awaiting!! And congrats :D

Did you contact them about the late submission date? I thought the application was due on 3/15. Probably better to find out on that issue now than later if you haven't contacted them already.

Anyone the full cost of this program?
http://web.unthsc.edu/downloads/file/1930/gsbs_med_sci_2013-2014_coa

You received a letter? Or email? Just wondering bc I'm anxiously awaiting!! And congrats :D

It was an email - at like 6 PM too, seems like a weird time to being sending out acceptance letters - well after business hours.

Did you contact them about the late submission date? I thought the application was due on 3/15. Probably better to find out on that issue now than later if you haven't contacted them already.

Yep, you're right. I had turned in it by the deadline, but they misplaced some of my paperwork, and put my submission date as 3/18.

I also just checked my email and got into the program as well! I hope that everyone gets in soon and expect to see a lot more happy posts! :)

Hey guys I actually just got my acceptance letter yesterday evening as well!! I am so excited but also very overwhelmed and confused! I am from New Jersey and I applied to a bunch of SMP's I honestly did not expect to get in to this one so I am very surprised and happy!! I did have a few questions though:

1. For people retaking the MCAT, I assume they would probably retake it after the review course sometime in August. If you are planning on applying to medical school for this cycle would you recommend waiting until you retake the MCAT and apply in September (which is sort of late)? or apply in May/June with your old MCAT score and then submit your new score?

2. Does anyone know what the out of state tuition is for this program?

3. Where is the best place to live? Will I need a car? And is there any site set up where I can look for a roommate?

4. I know Texas Medical Schools give preference to people who live in state, so I guess I was just wondering when it come to the interview with TCOM and possibly other schools in Texas will I be at a huge disadvantage?

-sorry I know I have so many questions!
I am still waiting to hear back from a couple of other schools, but I am extremely interested in this program just a little overwhelmed with the idea of moving so far in less than a month! any other information about this program would definitely help!! I've been reading through all these forums and they have been great!!

Hey guys I actually just got my acceptance letter yesterday evening as well!! I am so excited but also very overwhelmed and confused! I am from New Jersey and I applied to a bunch of SMP's I honestly did not expect to get in to this one so I am very surprised and happy!! I did have a few questions though:

1. For people retaking the MCAT, I assume they would probably retake it after the review course sometime in August. If you are planning on applying to medical school for this cycle would you recommend waiting until you retake the MCAT and apply in September (which is sort of late)? or apply in May/June with your old MCAT score and then submit your new score?
I think it would be better to apply first before you take your MCAT in August. But if your application hinges on the August MCAT score and if you wouldn't apply if you did badly, it might save you some money to wait. I don't think it will affect your chances for TCOM if you waited.

Click on the link in my last post. It is around 60k but they give u a lot of loans for living expenses which I doubt you will need. I think they gave a good amount so you can use it for MCAT fees, air plane tickets for interviews, application fees, etc.

3. Where is the best place to live? Will I need a car? And is there any site set up where I can look for a roommate?
I personally think you will need a car unless you are roomies with someone that has a car and will drive you around. Another alternative would be to live really close to school, but still will require some walking to grocery stores, etc. Texas gets HOT in the summer.
Join the facebook group for roommates. There are others who are looking also.

4. I know Texas Medical Schools give preference to people who live in state, so I guess I was just wondering when it come to the interview with TCOM and possibly other schools in Texas will I be at a huge disadvantage?
I don't think your chances of getting into any Texas state medical schools will be good without Texas residency even with this program other than possibly TCOM if you have a below average GPA and/or MCAT. We all know that OOS students who get into TX MD schools have better than the average MCAT/GPAs than other accepted TX students. I'm not sure about TCOM so maybe someone who is a former student can talk about past OOS student experiences. I bet there aren't too many OOS students so there might not be many data points for this. Best bet might be to contact someone in charge of the Medical Master's program..

-sorry I know I have so many questions!
I am still waiting to hear back from a couple of other schools, but I am extremely interested in this program just a little overwhelmed with the idea of moving so far in less than a month! any other information about this program would definitely help!! I've been reading through all these forums and they have been great!!
I tried to answer what I can. I am an incoming student too so this is just my opinion. My answers are in bold.

Last edited:
Congrats to all those that got in :)
Looking forward to seeing y'all soon!

The best thing to do is submit your application with out your new MCAT score, but make sure you put the scheduled MCAT date in under future tests. This ensures that they get your file early and place it under a stack of files that need to be reviewed when scores come in. This helps you get around the busy time of year when it takes forever to get all of your material verified, and some schools will allow you to e-mail them your scores so they can get them even quicker. I know AACOMAS can take up to 6 weeks to verify all of your information, the sooner they get started on that the better.

I think this was covered earlier

In Texas you pretty much need a car to live comfortably, but that being said there are a lot of town houses and condos for rent within a few blocks of the campus. There are not a lot of places to buy groceries close to campus though. If you have a car its pretty cheap to live off of Bryant-Irving rd. (about 15min drive)

This is hard to answer, there is a state law that no public institution can accept more than 10% of its students from out of state. So you will be at a disadvantage for Texas schools, but I'm not sure how it will figure in with TCOM. We have students in our program who have done well, but are still on the wait-list. There are a lot of people still on the wait-list though, so its hard to tell if they are going to get preferential consideration or not. The only thing I can say is that a student in the program can demonstrate academic ability in classes that the ADCOM knows the material and difficulty level. Basically they know what they are getting compared to other students.

Last edited:
If you are looking for housing there are other students not in your program that are also looking, but will not show up on your facebook page. This is a site set-up by the school: http://students.hsc.unt.edu/housing/wanted.cfm
There are also people who own condos in the area that post them for rent on this site so they don't have to go through a real estate agent.

Congrats and good luck to all of those who have been admitted!! :)

Is there anyone still waiting to find out like myself?? I hate this waiting game.

I got wait listed sometime this week.

:/

Oh well, at least it is something.

Did they send you an email? When did you find out and when were you complete with your app? I heard the waitlist gets lots of movement so I wouldn't worry too much :)

Did they send you an email? When did you find out and when were you complete with your app? I heard the waitlist gets lots of movement so I wouldn't worry too much :)

No email. I had to sign on to the portal and check the application status. I actually found out yesterday, but I hadn't check the portal since around Tuesday morning. Could have been anytime between then.

My app was complete around Feb. 26, but my university had issues sending out my transcripts. I had to take initiative and priority send it after 3 failed attempts! I'd say everything was received March 10th.

Do you mind sharing your stats? In agreement with the poster above me, I have heard the wait list moves quickly. Stay positive!

Is anyone waiting who has not heard back at all and not on the Waitlist either?

Also, has anyone been rejected?

Do you mind sharing your stats? In agreement with the poster above me, I have heard the wait list moves quickly. Stay positive!

23Q
3.4 uGPA
3.2 uGPA science
Graduated with honors (had a bad start at another university and did much better when I transferred)
65 Hrs of Physician shadowing
2 leadership positions at the University
4 club memberships w/ over 100 hrs of Comm. Service

They're not too great, so I'm a bit worried. I got into Mississippi College, but NT is obviously my first choice since I'm from South Texas.

I think I'm going to email them Monday. I can hardly wait anymore...I'm nervous. If they're rejecting me, they should just do it...

I think I'm going to email them Monday. I can hardly wait anymore...I'm nervous. If they're rejecting me, they should just do it...

I was planning on emailing them too if I hadn't heard anything by Friday 4/26. It's getting really close to the start date and there is still so much to do. I need to know if I should reschedule my MCAT, put my two weeks notice in, etc. Luckily I don't have to move since I am local but I really feel for all of those who are still waiting who have to relocate.

I have not heard if I have been accepted, wait listed, or rejected. I'm totally in the dark as of right now.

Plague Nice, I think your stats are good! Hold out if you can! :)

I have a question for those individuals who were accepted last week (I think it was around April 23-24), when was your deadline to accept/decline your admission offer?

If we can base acceptance letters of the past, I think that will be when they send out the next wave of letters (or possible wait list). Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on the matter?