info on university of south dakota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackb1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone, maybe past or current residents, has any info on the south dakota program. I really liked the program and would like to rank it highly. One thing I was curious about was the amount of attending supervision the residents have there. A resident I spoke to there made it seem like they had very little supervision, even as a first year. They seemed to see it as a plus but I feel like I want more supervision, at least in the beginning. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone, maybe past or current residents, has any info on the south dakota program. I really liked the program and would like to rank it highly. One thing I was curious about was the amount of attending supervision the residents have there. A resident I spoke to there made it seem like they had very little supervision, even as a first year. They seemed to see it as a plus but I feel like I want more supervision, at least in the beginning. Any thoughts?

I don't know if they have the Internet way out there...

;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hopefully someone can answer your questions...

I don't know if they have the Internet way out there...

;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hopefully someone can answer your questions...

We don't have that fancy world-wide interweb thingy everyone seems to love in the big cities on the coasts, but you would be amazed by what we can do with a couple of cans and some string! :p

For the OP- we feel like we have very little supervision, but in reality everything the residents do is followed by an attending. We don't tend to have a lot of face time with attendings, but that is our choice for the most part. If you WANT to discuss something with your attending, they are very open and accepting of that. The fact of the matter is that the RESIDENTS prefer to do their work, and then read the attending's note later to see what they said. The attendings read the resident's notes and orders, and change anything they disagree with. Also, there are some of the attendings who round with the resident, that is just their style.

Overall, I am very happy to be here. I feel that this program is a bit of a 'hidden gem', a very high quality program that most people overlook, mostly due to location.

I am open to any other questions anyone may have about the program, publicly or by PM.

Thanks fingerstick. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I guess this is more of a general question for current psych residents. What level of supervision did you feel comfortable with starting out? Going from complete supervision as a medical student to very little supervision seems like kind of a stretch. Does supervision level vary a lot from program to program? Thanks!