Informal non-degree seeking post bacc....no financial aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

I'm trying to line up my backup plans just in case this first application cycle doesn't go as planned. But I've heard that you can't get federal aid if you are not seeking a degree, is this true? And if so I'd still be able to get some private student loans wouldn't I?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the school, but I'm pretty sure you don't get any financial aid if your non-degree. However, you can still get private loans. But why would you do non-degree? Why not enroll in a masters or PhD program?

I think it depends on the school, but I'm pretty sure you don't get any financial aid if your non-degree. However, you can still get private loans. But why would you do non-degree? Why not enroll in a masters or PhD program?

Because my undergrad GPA is definitely the most glaring deficiency on my app, masters or PhD won't do anything to help that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I think getting a good gpa in a graduate program would definitely help, and you'd also qualify for financial aid that way. Also, if you pick the field properly, you may even be able to finish a masters in one year in time to reapply. However, I'm pretty sure you can get private loans for the post bac work, you should also check with your financial aid office.

Can you delay your undergrad graduation, and just keep taking classes (maybe declaring a minor or second major as an excuse)? An advantage would be having senior priority for class registration. As a non-degree student, you'd be last on the list of registration-date access.

You can still get federal aid, so long as you're not maxed out. I'm non-degree seeking, doing post-bacc work right now, funded in part by a Stafford loan.

Okay, I have a question about that because every school I've checked with says that you cannot get any federal loan assistance if you are a non-degree seeking student- even if you are enrolled more than half-time. The only exception to that rule is if you are in a certificate program. So, are you in a certificate program? IF not, how were you able to qualify for federal assistance?

Well, you can enroll for a degree you don't tend to complete. You may want to ask postbaccs at those schools, though.

i like the idea of potentially putting off graduation maybe a semester?

Kind of depends on exactly how low your UG GPA is, I'd say. I mean, potentially enrolling in a master's program and adding some extra UG courses on top will give you two things: (1) a graduate GPA and (2) a slight boost in your UG GPA.

following my pre health program's advice, i am enrolled as seeking a second bachelor's degree just for financial aid purposes....but i'm just taking the required pre reqs in anticipating of applying to medical

I'm trying to line up my backup plans just in case this first application cycle doesn't go as planned. But I've heard that you can't get federal aid if you are not seeking a degree, is this true? And if so I'd still be able to get some private student loans wouldn't I?

Why not do a 1 year masters?

following my pre health program's advice, i am enrolled as seeking a second bachelor's degree just for financial aid purposes....but i'm just taking the required pre reqs in anticipating of applying to medical

Isn't it nice to see how easy it is to cheat the system :laugh:

If it's your science classes that are pulling you down, pick the masters program carefully. If you do an MPH where the only science class is epidemiology, that won't cut it.

I did a post-bacc, and I did it the hard way. Worked part time while draining my savings. It was only about 20 grand.:cool: