Informal post bacc classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capfroggy2k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Currently I am taking a psychology class to finish up my Neuroscience degree. I am planning to start studying for the mcat in october and taking the january 2012 mcat.

Eventually I want to apply to medical schools next fall. Between January and Fall I want to take a few classes to boost my GPA as currently I have only a 3.0 sGPA. In my circumstances after I finish my MCAT I will have to start working full-time or part-time at the very least.

I was wondering if anyone is working and doing informal post bacc classes. How many classes are you taking??

By the way, I have already completed my pre-reqs, should I retake any of these if I have C's in a couple. Or should I just start taking some upper-div science courses for GPA boosting. I was thinking about taking human anatomy, human physiology, microbiology, etc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you work full-time you can take two courses a semester, that's what I did. If you are part-time, maybe you can try three? The upper-level science courses you listed are a good idea. I see that your sGPA is 3.0, but is you cGPA good? Also, as a Neuroscience major I'm not sure how much your sGPA will rise with a few more courses...

ok with doing informal post bacc, then I would simply just have to send in my transcript for those classes along with my transcript from my degree to the med schools right?

Thanks

Yes, on the AMCAS application you add another school (where you took the courses) and then in the coursework section you put in the courses with the grades and tag them post-bacc.