Informal post bacc/non degree questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UVMMedHopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to get everything figured out for going back to school as a non degree student to boost my gpa up. I am going to do an informal one because I'm only about 5-10 minutes from the local university and will be for a least another year or so and I technically have already taken all the prereqs with the exception of physics, I just want to retake the ones I screwed up in along with physics and some upper division ones. However, my issue is funding. Since there is no degree/certificate, I will not be eligible for student aid. Has anyone else been in this boat before, if so how did you go about paying for it?

And out of curiosity, has anyone gone to UMaine (Orono) for an informal post bacc/non degree for the same reasons/career change? If you have, care to share your experience with me/suggestions? That is where I'll be going for my informal post bacc. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

one of my friends is also post-bacc pre-med, and she's retaking Chem I in addition to the rest of the pre-reqs. She's doing a second degree in Chemistry, so all she has to do is take the major requirements, since the liberal arts all transfer in. So she gets matriculated student tuition (Non-Degree tuition is more), and financial aid. Dunno if you'd want to do something like that.

I personally am Non-Degree post-bacc, and I'm doing a tuition payment plan, so I can pay monthly. Maybe your school has something like that.

Why don't you just apply as a second bachelors? You'll likely get some form of aid depending on your financial situation and you have no obligation to finish the degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
The second bachelors idea sounds good, I just emailed the head of the biology department to see what I would need to take in order to get a another B.S. based on my previous undergrad experience. From what it looks like I wouldn't have to take too many more classes, but I'd rather know for sure from the actual department, not just me assuming things. haha. Thanks for the input though!

The second bachelors idea sounds good, I just emailed the head of the biology department to see what I would need to take in order to get a another B.S. based on my previous undergrad experience. From what it looks like I wouldn't have to take too many more classes, but I'd rather know for sure from the actual department, not just me assuming things. haha. Thanks for the input though!

Well definitely apply as a second bachelors if it gets you aid, but actually completing a second undergraduate degree in biology probably wont benefit you at all in terms of getting into med school. You're probably better off taking/retaking the courses you have in mind rather than going out of your way and taking courses that won't benefit you just to complete the major. But if it's that easy I guess it couldn't hurt...

As a post bacc you will qualify for loans, without workstudy.
The max federal loan is $12500 per year.

I like your idea about a bio degree, that is the most common major of OPs.
A biochem degree might be a little more substantial.

As a post bacc you will qualify for loans, without workstudy.
The max federal loan is $12500 per year.

I like your idea about a bio degree, that is the most common major of OPs.
A biochem degree might be a little more substantial.

Yes, but UMaine doesn't offer a formal post bacc, so there is no certificate/degree from it.. meaning no chance of receiving federal loans. I would have to take out private loans in order to go in as a non degree student, which I would rather not do considering I already have one private loan from Sallie Mae for my UVM education (expensive school btw).

This why I am contemplating getting a second bachelors because if it will only take about a year-year and half, why not? I was planning on taking classes for that amount of time anyways, so if I can possibly get a degree out of that time frame, might be worth it. Plus I would have more access to advisers, pre med committee, etc if I am a student pursuing a degree, not just taking classes here and there. I'm meeting with the person I contacted next week to go over it in more detail, so hopefully I'm right about the length of time it would take me!

Just sign up as a 2nd bachelors student, take the classes you need, and apply. You don't need to finish the degree, adcoms won't care.

Just sign up as a 2nd bachelors student, take the classes you need, and apply. You don't need to finish the degree, adcoms won't care.

Maybe, maybe not. I have a 2.96 gpa from my bachelors at UVM. I know that I need to raise it just to avoid automatic screenings, let alone even stand a chance. I know just taking a couple classes and doing well will bring it up past a 3.0, but I would like it to be a least a little bit higher than that. Plus having another degree is not necessarily going to hurt me per say. I'm just trying to figure my best route in order to gain acceptance down the line, what will work for ME. And if that means I have to get another bachelors over a year or so, so be it. Everyone has their own pathways of getting there. I do appreciate the feedback I am receiving though, I'm always open to suggestions and to see what kind of options I potentially have.

OP, out of curiosity, what schools are you interested in?

OP, out of curiosity, what schools are you interested in?

Well right now, I don't have a particular list because I won't be applying for probably at least 2 years anyways. But since I am from Maine, I would really like to stay in the New England/Eastern area. But I am willing to look outside this area too. I just want to make sure that where ever I go it will work for my boyfriend too. We've been together already 3+ years and are quite committed. His field is forestry and I want to make sure the location of the med schools that I will eventually apply to will have some kind of linkage to forestry. And with that, the best school that would be great for us would ironically be UVM. He has a lot of connections there and I personally loved being there for my undergrad.

i think your plan sounds just fine and your attitude is excellent. i'm doing something very similiar at the moment. you don't necessarily want or need the bio degree, but a) you can get funding for it b) more classes = more opportunity to show the excellent student you are today and c) these classes are a lot of fun as a postbac, and a great personal accomplishment. it's taken me bit over two full-time years to drag my gpa up .3 points and, even though i'm interviewing for this current cycle, i'm attending full-time right now to pull it up another .1 point (and possibly receive a BA in molec bio) by next june (in case i need to reapply next year). your rate of increase may go faster than mine. just keep your eye on the prize and find ECs you can be passionate about. good luck!

Maybe, maybe not. I have a 2.96 gpa from my bachelors at UVM. I know that I need to raise it just to avoid automatic screenings, let alone even stand a chance. I know just taking a couple classes and doing well will bring it up past a 3.0, but I would like it to be a least a little bit higher than that. Plus having another degree is not necessarily going to hurt me per say. I'm just trying to figure my best route in order to gain acceptance down the line, what will work for ME. And if that means I have to get another bachelors over a year or so, so be it. Everyone has their own pathways of getting there. I do appreciate the feedback I am receiving though, I'm always open to suggestions and to see what kind of options I potentially have.

I did an informal post bacc, and the advice I got was NOT to re-take courses you have already taken and passed (if you failed or got a D, then you need to retake it) just to boost your GPA. The reasoning was that you would already be expected to get a better grade in a class that you had already taken (who wouldn't?). How does retaking a course help show the selection committee that you can handle new material?

So, I decided to pursue another BS degree in another scientific field, and took science classes (mostly) that were upper-level and were not repeats. I took classes towards getting another degree, but never got it because I would have had to take a few more courses related to computers and I had already been accepted to medical school and didn't want to go through yet another semester (note, I'm a computer programmer). I got a 4.0 during those two years of taking full-time coursework, which I think helped alleviate their fears about my cumulative 3.2 (pre-post bacc). I got into medical school, along with a low 30's MCAT. Granted I only got 2 interviews and 1 acceptance, but that was enough. It was my first choice anyways! LOL

I did an informal post bacc, and the advice I got was NOT to re-take courses you have already taken and passed (if you failed or got a D, then you need to retake it) just to boost your GPA. The reasoning was that you would already be expected to get a better grade in a class that you had already taken (who wouldn't?). How does retaking a course help show the selection committee that you can handle new material?

So, I decided to pursue another BS degree in another scientific field, and took science classes (mostly) that were upper-level and were not repeats. I took classes towards getting another degree, but never got it because I would have had to take a few more courses related to computers and I had already been accepted to medical school and didn't want to go through yet another semester (note, I'm a computer programmer). I got a 4.0 during those two years of taking full-time coursework, which I think helped alleviate their fears about my cumulative 3.2 (pre-post bacc). I got into medical school, along with a low 30's MCAT. Granted I only got 2 interviews and 1 acceptance, but that was enough. It was my first choice anyways! LOL

The only courses I will be retaking are the ones I got the D in. After that it will be physics and other courses that are upper division/interesting to me. I am just playing out the idea of the 2nd bachelor's degree because why not! :).

Out of curiosity, where did you get accepted?