Information about the new CBT exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gridiron

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a MCAT Princeton Review teacher. Now that the MCAT has switched to a computer based test, you might have some questions. Recently, I attended a training class for PR which gave insight into the new CBT exam. In order to eliminate threads asking about changes, this thread can function as a need to know basis for the CBT exam.

Basics
  • Some form of ID (at least 2); no ticket required
  • Snack; no more lunch break
  • No paper and pencil; a dry erase board will be given to you at the test center on which you can do all your work
  • No notes or flashcards
  • You will start around 8 a.m. in the morning
  • You will be given noise reduction headphones
  • At each station, there will be an electronic thumb-print used to register you
  • There will be no proctors of the exam; you will need to proctor yourself
  • Before the exam starts, there will be a short tutorial that is optional. The tutorial will go through the tools available for the exam—like how to use the keyboard, mouse, etc.
  • Electronic signature—not 100% sure as to how this works but currently I am told that you will sign your name electronically after each section (I will update later)

Physical Sciences
  • 70 minutes
  • 52 questions; about 8 to 9 passages
  • approximately 50% physics and 50% general chemistry; multiple versions of the test
  • 10 minute break follows

*note* The 10 minute break is optional but if you choose to take it you must time yourself! If you don't, the next section of the test will start without you.

Verbal Reasoning
  • 60 minutes
  • 40 questions; 6-8 passages; topics can vary from language arts, poetry, science, etc.
  • Features to be discussed later

Writing Sample
  • 2/ 30 minute essays
  • 2 prompts
  • typed
  • 2 graders(I will update)

Biological Sciences
  • 70 minutes
  • 52 questions; 8-9 passages
  • Approximately 2/3 biology and 1/3 organic chemistry; again different versions of test
You should be done by no later than 2 p.m. in the afternoon!

Important features:
  • Notes feature: To take notes on a passage you use the "right-click" on mouse over the section or area you wish to take notes on. A note pad will appear where you can write your notes
  • Highlight: To highlight a section use the "left-click" on mouse and drag over section—this will appear as yellow
  • Search Tool: Each section of the test will have a search tool bar at the top of the passage where you can search for a particular word. The function of this feature is similar to the search feature of internet explorer.
  • Strike out feature: To strike out an answer choice, "left-click" over the answer choice you wish to strike out.
  • Mark box: If you are not sure about an answer choice, there will be a mark box next to each question. You can check these boxes if you feel you are not sure. The test will not register your answer as a guess—there is no guessing penalty on the MCAT. Rather, as I will discuss in a bit, it makes it easier to review the answers you are sure about from the ones you are "iffy" about.
  • Review feature: After each passage, there will be a review button. If you click it, you will be sent to a review screen where you can see all your answer choices and marks (That is the feature of the guess box). If you click on a particular answer, you will be directed to that question. After each passage, you can also choose to review just the answer choices/guesses for that passage. If you click any response from the review screen, you will be sent back to that question, and only that question.

On the computer, your screen should be split into two halves. On the left half, you should see your entire passage. On your right half, you should be able to see all your questions. When you view your review screen with all your answer choices, by clicking on one response, you will be directed back to only that question with the passage on the left half of the screen. During the test, you should be able to flip back and forth between passages as you wish.

I hope this information is useful and good :luck:. I will update periodically.

Members don't see this ad.

[*]No paper and pencil; a dry erase board will be given to you at the test center on which you can do all your work

Not according to 2007 MCAT essentials, and not according to the guy at the test center who answered my phone call regarding this.

Not according to 2007 MCAT essentials, and not according to the guy at the test center who answered my phone call regarding this.

Interesting. I have gotten mixed reviews about this. Let me check up on this. One of my students called the test center recently and was told she would be given a dry erase board but another student told me paper and pencil.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the AAMC 2007 MCAT Essentials it states that the center will provide scratch paper or dry erase boards, ear covers (industrial) and pencils. I think it might depend on the test center.

I really hope I don't get a dry erase board...that'd just be weird.

I think many of the testing centers give out laminated sheets of a paper, a dry-erase marker, and an eraser rather than the dry-erase boards you usually see on dorm rooms. They did this with the GMAT a year ago rather than use paper to be more environmentally friendly.

I think many of the testing centers give out laminated sheets of a paper, a dry-erase marker, and an eraser rather than the dry-erase boards you usually see on dorm rooms. They did this with the GMAT a year ago rather than use paper to be more environmentally friendly.

Thanks for the info! One of my students actually called today and was told he would get a typical dry erase board. Don't know what that means, however what MasonPrehealth says makes more sense and what the majority of my students are telling me. I guess the best thing to do is to call the testing center to verify?

I don't know if they would change procedures specifically for the MCAT and buy actual dry-erase boards if they already have laminated sheets at the Thomson Prometric test centers. I would suspect whatever they do now with the GRE and GMAT would be in play for the MCAT since TP administers all those tests.

No Flashcards? What are we to do in between sections to switch gears? :eek:

According to the AAMC, you are not going to be allowed to bring any personal items into the test room with you--it all will need to be stored in the lockers of the test center. Also, according to the 2007 MCAT essentials, you will not be able to study or use your cell phone during breaks in order to protect test questions. Another problem is that you only have 10 minutes between sections--and that is optional. If you don't return on time, the next part of the test will start off without you--so you might not have enough time to even look over notecards. However, each test center is different. I remember when I took the test, my test center allowed us to have drinks, notecards, and musical devices with us in the test room (of course, we couldn't use the notecards and music during the test, but if we were thirsty, we could drink water) Hopefully, people who take this first CBT exam can share their experiences with all of us.

I think I got the link from the forum before, but I can't seem to find it. It's a MCAT CBT tutorial that you get from Thomson prometric.

-prakdiddy

Just wondering if anybody heard anything about the addition of new CBT sites in Canada for later in the year? Looked at the AAMC site but St.John's, Newfoundland, Canada is not listed there. Paper version has been offered there twice a year in the past. Asked the people from MCAT & pretty much got a response to keep consulting the website. TP already offers a CBT version of the GRE in NL so guess the MCAT will be coming soon but the question is when? I really don't want to spend $$ traveling to Halifax to take the test.

great post BioMedEngineer. The info about how to highlight/take notes/check off answers will be extremely helpful. thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I got the link from the forum before, but I can't seem to find it. It's a MCAT CBT tutorial that you get from Thomson prometric.

-prakdiddy

According to the 2007 MCAT Essentials, an online tutorial should be available one month prior to your test date to all people who register for the exam.

Thanks to LostinLost, check out the CBT tutorial. I also changed some basics in my first post--turns out that to strike out you right-click and it isn't called a guess box but a "mark" box.

Does anybody know how many of the 52 questions in the BS and PS sections are discretes? and what percentage of the BS section is biology on the new test (3/4 or 2/3?)

Thanks to LostinLost, check out the CBT tutorial. I also changed some basics in my first post--turns out that to strike out you right-click and it isn't called a guess box but a "mark" box.

when you return to your question after your first run through, do strike-out marks, notes, and highlighting on the passage persist?

when you return to your question after your first run through, do strike-out marks, notes, and highlighting on the passage persist?

That is a great question! I don't have an answer for you right now, but one of my students took the CBT in August and I will ask him tomorrow when I teach. Until then, maybe somebody else can share some input?

Is it still OK to bring a noiseless timer in the test room with you?

Does anybody know how many of the 52 questions in the BS and PS sections are discretes? and what percentage of the BS section is biology on the new test (3/4 or 2/3?)

I believe 11 of the 52 questions will be discretes. However, there is no certainty to the percentage of bio because each test is different.

thanks for checking bioMedEngineer. I'll post here if I hear anything about it. I had one more question - maybe this is easier.

for the periodic table - does it pop up and cover your entire screen - or does it float over your question? it'll make me think twice about accessing it.

Thanks!

thanks for checking bioMedEngineer. I'll post here if I hear anything about it. I had one more question - maybe this is easier.

for the periodic table - does it pop up and cover your entire screen - or does it float over your question? it'll make me think twice about accessing it.

Thanks!

Another great question. However, it is another detail of the exam I am not sure about. Let me ask some other people about that and I will get back to you. In the meantime, anyone who has taken the CBT exam please feel free to share your thoughts and experience!

So will the material that you need to know change along with the test changes or no?