Informing Dental schools about my DAT re-take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duvaldentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community, I need some advice on this situation. I don't know whether or not to contact all the schools that I have applied to, to inform them about my DAT re-take. I am asking this because I know on AADSAS they ask for previous test dates, and the date of future tests (thus from this portion do dental school know I am re-taking or do I have to contact each school and inform them so they can "place my app. on hold"). I ask this because while filling out secondaries I know some schools ask but some don't, and or some schools include the fact that i need to inform them of my re-take in an e-mail. Some schools have sent me conformation e-mails stating that they have received my secondary and that my application will be reviewed in a few weeks, do these schools already know about my retake from my AADSAS future test date designation? Thanks for your advice in advance ;).

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt just to make it crystal clear that you're retaking. I don't think it is a bad idea to just send them all a short and sweet e-mail letting them know your intentions.

Hello SDN community, I need some advice on this situation. I don't know whether or not to contact all the schools that I have applied to, to inform them about my DAT re-take. I am asking this because I know on AADSAS they ask for previous test dates, and the date of future tests (thus from this portion do dental school know I am re-taking or do I have to contact each school and inform them so they can "place my app. on hold"). I ask this because while filling out secondaries I know some schools ask but some don't, and or some schools include the fact that i need to inform them of my re-take in an e-mail. Some schools have sent me conformation e-mails stating that they have received my secondary and that my application will be reviewed in a few weeks, do these schools already know about my retake from my AADSAS future test date designation? Thanks for your advice in advance ;).

If your DAT scores are lackluster, there will be no need to ask since the application is likely to automatically be placed "on hold." Why no wait until you have retaken? After all, there is no guarantee that retaking will necessarily mean an improvement in the scores.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=400209

Members don't see this ad :)
Glimmer1991 - Thats exactly what I was thinking but I didn't know if others on here had experience with this sort of thing. I wasn't sure if it was going to be perceived as insulting or redundant to schools if they already are aware of the re-take through my AADSAS application. And i didn't want to give them extra work since they already have the daunting task of reviewing the thousands of applications they already have.

Doc toothache - i initially received an 18AA 19TS 21PAT (my RC and QR scores brought down my AA) but this was back in the beginning of 2011, after completion of a Masters in biomedical sciences at Barry university I have now refined my study habits and strategies which I believe will aid in my current preparation for my upcoming DAT.

I wasn't sure if it was going to be perceived as insulting or redundant to schools if they already are aware of the re-take through my AADSAS application. And i didn't want to give them extra work since they already have the daunting task of reviewing the thousands of applications they already have.

Howdy! It all depends on the school, really. I retook my DAT a week ago and did much better than the first time I took it. However, it can take weeks for the score to update on AADSAS, so some schools encourage you to send in your new scores via a fax or email. Your best bet is to give em a call and ask.

Of the 7 schools I applied to, the admissions staff of 3 of those schools said it would be good to fax them my new scores. I don't think there is too much point in jumping the gun and telling them before you take it - they'll know this, yes. But definitely ask them if they wanted the updated scores. This can prioritize you or get you onto a waiting list if you weren't a prime candidate before. However, your scores really aren't too bad currently.

I'm in the exact same spot, duvaldentist... thanks for making this thread

And thanks NMC2012 for the reply - sounds like a great plan, it was very helpful to me!