Initial Accredidation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellopeople

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Can anyone tell me if the HPSP would cover tuition at a school with only initial accreditation like Midwestern - IL (before anyone talks about MW-AZ, I should reemphasize that I am talking about the new school in Illinois).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone.

Can anyone tell me if the HPSP would cover tuition at a school with only initial accreditation like Midwestern - IL (before anyone talks about MW-AZ, I should reemphasize that I am talking about the new school in Illinois).

Thanks
You will need to check with the HPSP office of the service you most want, but my understanding is that it will not. This question has come up before. Initial accreditation by CODA isn't a lock that the school will be accredited in the end.

Hey everyone.

Thanks

The Department of Defense Instruction 6000.13 is pretty clear about this:

E2.1.1. Accredited Institution. A college, university, or institution, located in the United States or Puerto Rico, and accredited by an accrediting agency or association under the U.S. Secretary of Education. Included are those institutions that are in the process of seeking accreditation and currently have provisional or conditional accreditation, or candidacy status for accreditation, based solely on the newness of the institution. (Independent allied health science schools, not affiliated with a college or university and not accredited, are required to submit to the ASD(HA) appropriate documentation from the recognized body to demonstrate that the lack of accreditation is based on circumstances beyond the school's control and in no way implies a deficiency in the academic program.)

Based on this instruction the Army has already accepted two students from this school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I made some calls and found out that Midwestern-IL was covered, but I didn't realize all the new schools were. Thank you very much for your input.

I met several students at Western, which is still in initial accreditation, on the military scholarships.

I know I'm coming to the discussion a little late. I've heard the Navy isn't giving scholarships for schools under initial accreditation. It seems the Navy is not complying with the above mentioned DOD regulation. Does anyone know what the Navy's actual policy is?

I know I'm coming to the discussion a little late. I've heard the Navy isn't giving scholarships for schools under initial accreditation. It seems the Navy is not complying with the above mentioned DOD regulation. Does anyone know what the Navy's actual policy is?

Seems it is the case for the Navy, only happened for the incoming class (2016) though. I was not provided any DOD regulations though, it was all through the district recruiting office in LA. I attached what I received regarding this on another post (just next to this one actually, the one regarding Navy Policy change).

It would be nice to get some kind of clarification, haven't heard anything from entering students under Army or Air Force scholarships for initial accred. status schools. (not already attending students, ones entering as D1s this year)

Seems it is the case for the Navy, only happened for the incoming class (2016) though. I was not provided any DOD regulations though, it was all through the district recruiting office in LA. I attached what I received regarding this on another post (just next to this one actually, the one regarding Navy Policy change).

It would be nice to get some kind of clarification, haven't heard anything from entering students under Army or Air Force scholarships for initial accred. status schools. (not already attending students, ones entering as D1s this year)

I was selected for the Army HPSP's 2016 graduating class using an acceptance letter from Midwestern-IL (which has initial accreditation only). I commissioned back in early Feburary without an issue.

Of course, I guess that doesn't necessarily mean I won't see any issues crop up now.... Definitely looking forward to some updates on this issue :thumbup:.

So is anything new from the AF or the Army? I have heard that the decision to exclude students attending initially accredited schools from HPSP is now general among all the branches. Is this true?

So is anything new from the AF or the Army? I have heard that the decision to exclude students attending initially accredited schools from HPSP is now general among all the branches. Is this true?
Nothing has changed in the Army...see USArmyHPSP explanation in the thread. Provisional accreditation is still accepted by the Army.