Initial School List -- Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fnc54

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to preface this by saying that I have not taken the MCAT yet; I plan on taking the exam in April 2017. Anyhow, I'm having a rather light week, and I spent some time putting together an early list of schools that I think match my stats. I really only considered how friendly the schools are to OOS applicants, how well my numbers match up right now, and I put some thought into the location.

I don't want to elongate my post by typing out all my experiences, so I'll just say that by my estimation, they would probably be considered average to above average (I'd be happy to expand on my experiences if anyone cares to know).

cGPA: 3.95
sGPA: 3.93
MCAT: Not taken yet--for this list, I just assumed that I managed a score above 83rd percentile
Residence: Ill

In State

1. University of Illinois
2. Rush
3. Rosalind Franklin
4. Loyola Stritch
5. Midwestern (DO)

OOS

6. Brown University
7. Ohio State
8. University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC)
9. Medical College of Wisconsin
10. Western Michigan University
11. Tufts
12. Indiana University
13. Saint Louis University
14. University of Missouri-Columbia
15. University of Iowa
16. University of Louisville
17. Albany Medical College
18. Hofstra University
19. University of Vermont
20. University of Colorado
21. University of Miami
22. Drexel University
23. Temple University
24. Penn State
25. University of North Dakota

"Hail Mary" Schools

26. Northwestern
27. University of Chicago
28. USC Keck
29. Boston University
30. Icahn School of Medicine
31. Mayo Medical School

I would really appreciate any input! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. This belongs in the WAMC forum so I'm going to move it there

2. It's going to be really hard to give you any real help with your school list without a real score or at the very very least, an average of several practice scores right before you took the real exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Your list is sort of worthless without a MCAT score. How are your ECs? Some of your schools are very service oriented. For instance, Rush has specific requirements for this area and many of their interviewees have huge(like in the thousands) of hours in various activities. Loyola and SLU are very focused on serving the underserved. Do you fit that descriptor? Some of your schools are public schools. Did you check to see if they are OOS friendly. Some public schools don't take any OOS students and some just a few. Did you use the MSAR?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your list is sort of worthless without a MCAT score. How are your ECs? Some of your schools are very service oriented. For instance, Rush has specific requirements for this area and many of their interviewees have huge(like in the thousands) of hours in various activities. Loyola and SLU are very focused on serving the underserved. Do you fit that descriptor? Some of your schools are public schools. Did you check to see if they are OOS friendly. Some public schools don't take any OOS students and some just a few. Did you use the MSAR?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
I do have experience with community service, though not close to thousands of hours of activities... I have spent a few semesters tutoring underprivileged children at a local bilingual elementary school (homework help and teaching english skills), and I spent a couple of semesters as a committee member for a service RSO during which I designed a project to help the homeless community and worked on community health problems. I have also volunteered at a community hospital near home over the last few summers/winters. Also, I checked the msar for this list, and made sure that the OOS public schools admitted at least 25% of their class from out of state.

I also realize this is of limited value without an MCAT score.

Delete the following:

6. Brown University
7. Ohio State
12. Indiana University
15. University of Iowa

And a teaching moment for the rest of you out there: if you have MSAR, pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages. OP did not.

I do have experience with community service, though close to thousands of hours of activities... I have spent a few semesters tutoring underprivileged children at a local bilingual elementary school, and I spent a couple of semesters as a committee member for a service RSO during which I designed a project to help the homeless community and worked on community health problems. Also, I checked the msar for this list, and made sure that the OOS public schools admitted at least 25% of their class from out of state.

I also realize this is of limited value without an MCAT score.
Delete the following:

6. Brown University
7. Ohio State
12. Indiana University
15. University of Iowa

And a teaching moment for the rest of you out there: if you have MSAR, pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages. OP did not.
What did I miss on the acceptance information page? Ohio state accepted 96/191 students from out of state; should I go by acceptance rate for instate vs OOS instead of raw numbers?

Delete the following:

6. Brown University
7. Ohio State
12. Indiana University
15. University of Iowa

Also, with Brown University, what did I miss?

60% of Brown's students come from Brown.

State schools favor the home team...hence you have to be above avg. IF you score a 514 on the MCAT, then OSU will be OK.
Alright, thanks for the help. So I guess the school list idea really is something that will have to wait.

Reactions: 1 user
Delete the following:

6. Brown University
7. Ohio State
12. Indiana University
15. University of Iowa

sorry to hijack this thread really quick.

One of my friends just got an interview at UMKC as an OOS. I was trying to find more information on their MD only program but couldn't find much on their USMLE avg scores or pass rates, etc.

What are your opinions on the school?

Thanks, Goro!

Fine school. Did you friend grow up in MO or got to school there? Lives in a neighboring state?

UMKC seated 43 people from OOS, but 41/43 were from the baccalaureate/MD program!

So if your friend was NOT one of these these, s/he is an anecdote

sorry to hijack this thread really quick.

One of my friends just got an interview at UMKC as an OOS. I was trying to find more information on their MD only program but couldn't find much on their USMLE avg scores or pass rates, etc.

What are your opinions on the school?

Thanks, Goro!

Reactions: 1 users
Fine school. Did you friend grow up in MO or got to school there? Lives in a neighboring state?

UMKC seated 43 people from OOS, but 41/43 were from the baccalaureate/MD program!

So if your friend was NOT one of these these, s/he is an anecdote

He has no ties to MO, at least none that I know of. And doesn't live in a bordering state, not sure if 2 states away counts as neighboring state or not. I don't know how he landed the interview having no ties to the school, but I wish him luck! Do you happen to know roughly the ratio of people they interview for OOS vs how many people actually get in?

I saw in some older threads that their reputation wasn't too great, is that still the case? There doesn't seem to many 3rd party information on the school.

Thanks again, Goro!

UMKC gets 1671 apps from OOS, interviews 40 (2.4%), and seats 43. I assume the overflow is from deferrals. Nearly all the Class comes from the baccalaureate/MD program.

He has no ties to MO, at least none that I know of. And doesn't live in a bordering state, not sure if 2 states away counts as neighboring state or not. I don't know how he landed the interview having no ties to the school, but I wish him luck! Do you happen to know roughly the ratio of people they interview for OOS vs how many people actually get in?

I saw in some older threads that their reputation wasn't too great, is that still the case? There doesn't seem to many 3rd party information on the school.

Thanks again, Goro!

UMKC gets 1671 apps from OOS, interviews 40 (2.4%), and seats 43. I assume the overflow is from deferrals. Nearly all the Class comes from the baccalaureate/MD program.
It looks like if he gets an interview he has a solid chance of getting in! Thanks for the stats!

But to get an interview, one really has to be in the baccalaureate program!
He didn't go to their baccalaureate program and doesn't have stellar stats, but maybe he wowed them with his essays? Not sure how he got the interview, but still happy for him nevertheless!

60% of Brown's students come from Brown.

State schools favor the home team...hence you have to be above avg. IF you score a 514 on the MCAT, then OSU will be OK.
For brown, their page under matriculant demographics says 34% attended brown as undergrad. Is it still too high a number?