Injured 2 days before interview.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Graco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I have an interview and yesterday my foot was stepped on by a horse. I have 2 broken toes according to the X-rays. It's is very painful to walk on my feet.

I was given a special medical-looking shoe to wear by my doctor. I know that the interviews are supposed to be very formal. Do you think they would look down on me if I wore that shoe and one dress shoe?

The Medical shoe looks a lot like this one:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QeXR418ikOU/SaiokmMKmzI/AAAAAAAAA-E/rHy1f26sGPE/s320/Shoes+005.jpg

I can stuff my injured foot into a regular dress shoe, but it hurts because my toes are swollen. It would make for an awkward interview if I was in this much pain the entire time. On the other hand, I don't want to be looked down upon
for violating the dress code.

Any advice or input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you'll be fine with that. There isn't a way to dress up crutches or braces and things like that too much without special ordering those things and this just recently happened.

I think they wouldn't really say anything or it would be even more commendable that you still came in 2 days after breaking bones.

And besides, would you really want to work for an employer who seriously looked down on you and wouldn't account for breaking your foot? That would say volumes to me, and I might be willing to work for somewhere else instead.

To be honest, this shouldn't even be a question. Of course it is fine for you to wear the shoe that is going to help you heal and make you a lot more comfortable. If you had a cast all the way up your leg or a your arm in a sling, they wouldn't think twice about the "appropriateness" of the cast in terms of your attire. If you come in wearing one nice looking shoe and one medically approved shoe, obviously the people who are conducting the interview are going to be smart enough to figure out that you are wearing it for a reason and not because you are being careless about your appearance.

And I totally agree with Jabberwocky, if it turned out that this one choice in attire made the difference between a good interview or a bad interview for those conducting it, I personally would not be interested in getting hired/accepted by them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should have made it clear that this is an interview for pharmacy school, not a job. I guess the same principles apply. Thanks for your input.

They are looking at the qualities of the person, not their physical attributes. I mean, just because you are a little touched in the head to be letting horses stomp your feet doesn't mean anything. :D

If anything, the only item of the day's agenda that may be of question is the tour. Your ability to take the tour will not negatively effect the outcome of your interview. Utilize that time to meet an greet any faculty and students that are in the area while you are not touring.

Oh, yeah. No whinning. :laugh:

Good fortune with your interview. Make your own luck!

Any school which judges a person for footware designed to treat/heal medical conditions is not worth attending because if they evaluate an applicant on the basis of this, I hate to think what their professors think of their patients. Do they assume every HIV patient contracted the disease through IV drug abuse? Absurd.

That being said, it'll never be looked down upon. I am pretty sure people in the fields of healthcare understand the situation perfectly well.

In fact, you can definitely spin it as a topic of conversation about the things you do outside of academics. Perhaps you are interested in veterinary pharmacy? You can also use it to your advantage by non-verbally stating "I'm in pain. It happened 2 days ago. And I still made it to my interview instead of trying to reschedule. I can suck up the pain because I want to be at (insert school) in August" Now thats dedication for you.

I think it'd make for a good story and a way to build rapport with your interviewer.