Ink Used for Tattoos in Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LightHouse123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I wanted to see if there is a preferred ink used for tattoos in treatments.

I am trying to help fundraise to purchase some ink for a deficient department abroad, but I am not sure if all tattooing ink are created equal (i.e side effects, effectiveness, pricing, etc).

Any thoughts from personal experience will be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I wanted to see if there is a preferred ink used for tattoos in treatments.

I am trying to help fundraise to purchase some ink for a deficient department abroad, but I am not sure if all tattooing ink are created equal (i.e side effects, effectiveness, pricing, etc).

Any thoughts from personal experience will be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!

I have no idea what ink is used, I would suspect just a common black tattoo ink?

As an aside, I did see once somewhere about a tattoo ink for rad onc that was only visible under ultraviolet light, so that patients did not see their "mark" after treatment is done. Not that it is really feasible to have therapists carry around UV lights all the time, but it did make me think about what it must be like for patients to be reminded of their cancer all the time if they can see the mark on their chest or abdomen...

I have no idea what ink is used, I would suspect just a common black tattoo ink?

As an aside, I did see once somewhere about a tattoo ink for rad onc that was only visible under ultraviolet light, so that patients did not see their "mark" after treatment is done. Not that it is really feasible to have therapists carry around UV lights all the time, but it did make me think about what it must be like for patients to be reminded of their cancer all the time if they can see the mark on their chest or abdomen...
It's a reminder of what helped keep them alive?

Reactions: 1 user
tattoo.png

Reactions: 2 users