Input on EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiddynamite914

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising junior (although I plan on staying another 3 years due to possibly double majoring in Neurobiology in addition to either psychology or history) ** Please provide on input on this as well

As far as EC's, I was wondering where I currently stand:

1) President of Pakistani Student Association (PSA) in a city in New Jersey

2) PSA Teach and Travel: I have traveled to Turkey through PSA. Several other undergrads and members of PSA taught english at nearby elementary schools in Istanbul. I was organizer of this event that takes place every summer from May to June. As organizer and President it is my duty to interview other applicants and accept students.

3) NJ Help Center (Immigration Help): Located in a city in NJ, I am a teacher for several South Asians, Middle Easterners, Hispanic/Latino, African Americans, etc. We have several others teachers and through this program we teach recent immigrants US History and basic history and other material needed for them in order to attain an US Citizenship.

4) PSA Ramadan food drive: This program that has been running for three years now allows us to fundraise money and donate food to homeless individuals throughout NJ/NY/PA area. We target many inner cities that are known for homelessness. We usually do this during Ramadan, when many Muslims are fasting and may not have when it is time to break fast

5) PSA Prison buddies: Our research shows that many inmates go through many religion changes while in prison. Islam is also the fastest growing religion. Through special permission we are able to attend many prisons in NJ and spread awareness, religiously challenge inmates, and give them the resources needed to get a deeper understanding of various religions.

6) Employment: Model at Abercombie and Fitch

7) Assistant wrestling coach at a nearby high school. In addition to this, many inner city children do not have access to wrestling facilities at an early age. Success in wrestling is mainly determined by when you began to wrestle just like many sports. As a result, when they begin to wrestle in HS, many end up with losing records. As a result, I have opened up a local gym with the help of other coaches and community members. I serve as President of the wrestling club and also coach there

8) Substitute teacher in my cities Board of Education

9) PSA tutor: I have tutored AP Biology, SAT, and AP Literature along with elementary algebra, trigonometry, etc.

10) I have done research at my universities Department of Neurosurgery, Dermatology, and Reproductive Physiology

In addition, I have over 450 hours of volunteering throughout my first 2 years in college. I have over 80 hours of shadowing.

As for GPA, I currently have a 3.820 cGPA

Thank you! Please let me know how the EC's look along with other recommendations and inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

Your resume looks excellent. I don't think you will have a problem getting in to most any medical school you desire. You are obviously passionate about what you do, and medical schools will probably notice/approve of that. Just do well on your MCAT and you'll be fine.

Your resume looks excellent. I don't think you will have a problem getting in to most any medical school you desire. You are obviously passionate about what you do, and medical schools will probably notice/approve of that. Just do well on your MCAT and you'll be fine.

Thank you very much! I just feel as if my GPA is not too great, especially after using medapps website. Also, do you believe there is a problem since most of my EC activities have been through the Pakistani Student Association? We do various things through the org, but is it a problem since most of my EC are stemming through this org? @Mecidimes

Also, as for major, I enjoy both History and Psychology. Reason I would go for History over Psych is since some Psych classes crossover as Neurobio classes as well. Any inputs on this?

PS: I will be applying as a disadvantaged student

Members don't see this ad :)
3.82 is not a bad GPA, not even close. That's above average for a lot of med schools.

If the Pakistani Student Association offers such a diverse array of volunteering experience, and means as much to you as it does, then stick with it. I would not advise you to try to find additional opportunities you're less passionate about just because you think they look flashy. Your resume will already show how dedicated of a leader you are; honestly I think you're in a far better situation than a lot of applying pre-meds.

I know pre-meds who got into med school with majors in music, history, acting, you name it. I don't think most medical schools care what your major is as long as you both excelled in class and completed the pre-med requirements.

3.82 is not a bad GPA, not even close. That's above average for a lot of med schools.

If the Pakistani Student Association offers such a diverse array of volunteering experience, and means as much to you as it does, then stick with it. I would not advise you to try to find additional opportunities you're less passionate about just because you think they look flashy. Your resume will already show how dedicated of a leader you are; honestly I think you're in a far better situation than a lot of applying pre-meds.

I know pre-meds who got into med school with majors in music, history, acting, you name it. I don't think most medical schools care what your major is as long as you both excelled in class and completed the pre-med requirements.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the input!

Take the MCAT before you ask about any chance questions. What I'll give you below is really generic advice that is applicable to all pre meds but I think it'll be of help for you

Your GPA is good and you have service hours. What you should focus on the next few years is building up your research experience. So think trying to get an independent project in your lab and applying for research fellowships for the summer; this will help you immensely also in terms of better understanding research and the process and methodology of science.

Also your goal should be building up clinical experience through hospital volunteering. That's the standard thing all pre meds have what I tell people a lot is also consider clinical jobs such as a clinical research assistant pct or scribe as examples of any of those appeal to you. Your responsibilities and what you can get out of your clinical experience are often far greater than organizing shelfs or any other Classic hospital volunteer position role you'll have

Above all else gpa gpa gpa. Cut back on those other activities if you find they start cutting into your ability to maintain your grades and get research and volunteer experience

Take the MCAT before you ask about any chance questions. What I'll give you below is really generic advice that is applicable to all pre meds but I think it'll be of help for you

Your GPA is good and you have service hours. What you should focus on the next few years is building up your research experience. So think trying to get an independent project in your lab and applying for research fellowships for the summer; this will help you immensely also in terms of better understanding research and the process and methodology of science.

Also your goal should be building up clinical experience through hospital volunteering. That's the standard thing all pre meds have what I tell people a lot is also consider clinical jobs such as a clinical research assistant pct or scribe as examples of any of those appeal to you. Your responsibilities and what you can get out of your clinical experience are often far greater than organizing shelfs or any other Classic hospital volunteer position role you'll have

Above all else gpa gpa gpa. Cut back on those other activities if you find they start cutting into your ability to maintain your grades and get research and volunteer experience

Thank you very much for the reply! I have been doing research for credit since freshman year. Also, the way my lab operates is every semester we are given an independent project. Most of the upperclassman usually ger published by their senior year. Thus, I am working on a project with my professor on ovarian cancer and the brain's role in this.

Later, this summer I will be going with my PSA group to India for teach and travel program. However, I will be shadowing doctors over there during that process. I know that medicine in the US and India are very different, so how do you think this will look? Should I let go of shadowing in India and seek an opportunity in the US? I do shadow at the hospital affiliated with my university throughout the semester. I have shadowed a cardiologist and and Endocrine Surgeon. Also, I will further look into the other things you mentioned.

So far I haven't had a problem with maintaining classes and organizations. Last semester, my aunt passed away and I had to come home for 2 weeks. My Orgo professor didn't move my exam back and I received a O on that exam. Ended up with a B in the class. Besides that, I have been able to balance everything out. But I will be also applying as a disadvantaged student due to the city and high school I come from. The year I graduated only 16 students went on to 4 year universities. Also, my family EFC is very low and my household size is 8. There have been some serious financial burdens, etc.