Inquiries about anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

absolutecero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current junior in highschool aspiring to be an anesthesiologist/nurse anesthetist. I found this forum by chance so I figured it'd be best to have my questions answered by people working in the field.

Q1:
Aside from salary, what are the major differences between being an anesthesiologist and a nurse anesthetist? I haven't been able to get a clear answer on the fundamental differences between the two other than the pay.

Q2:
What are some things that I could start doing now to better suite me for the job in the future? (such as habits, improving my hospitality, etc.)

Q3:
Can someone explain the educational requisites to become an anesthesiologist/nurse anesthetist?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current junior in highschool aspiring to be an anesthesiologist/nurse anesthetist. I found this forum by chance so I figured it'd be best to have my questions answered by people working in the field.

Q1:
Aside from salary, what are the major differences between being an anesthesiologist and a nurse anesthetist? I haven't been able to get a clear answer on the fundamental differences between the two other than the pay.

Q2:
What are some things that I could start doing now to better suite me for the job in the future? (such as habits, improving my hospitality, etc.)

Q3:
Can someone explain the educational requisites to become an anesthesiologist/nurse anesthetist?

Q1: one is a doctor and the other is Nurse. Doctors earn a little more than nurses but have to work much harder to obtain the privilege to give anesthesia as meducal school is much more competitive than nursing school.

Q2: get good grades, shadow someone and decide on a career pathway. I might also mention to learn how to use an Internet search engine to find out the answers to basic questions.

Q3: Anesthesiologist: college degree, medical school then residency. (12 years)

Nurse Anesthetist: nursing school (4 years), one year working as a nurse then 2.5 years in CRNA school. Total of 6.5 years of schooling plus 1 year of work experirnce.

Members don't see this ad :)
An Anesthesiologist has an MD; an Anesthetist is a nurse
September 23rd, 2009
+2
Hi there-

The primary difference is the education and training involved. An anesthesiologist is a doctor who has completed years of training in anesthesiology. An anesthetist is a nurse, who after a few years of experience, returned to anesthesia school for 2 years of anesthesia training.

While, being doctors, anesthesiologists are able to practice as independent professionals, anesthetists are only able to administer anesthesia under the supervision of a physician. This supervising physician can be ANY kind of physician, though.

In my practice, because I am a plastic surgeon and my knowledge of anesthesia is therefore limited, and because most of my procedures are done in my in-office and accredited surgical suite, I am not comfortable supervising and being responsible for the anesthesia care provided by a nurse anesthetist. I therefore believe in maximizing my patient's safety by only having anesthesia administered by a board certified anesthesiologist. This might be different if I did surgery in a hospital setting, where a lot of other help was available if needed, but if there is only going to be one person with knowledge of anesthesia available, I would want it to be a doctor of anesthesia.

SHOW LESS

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Orlando Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 134 reviews
www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Reactions: 1 user
^^ unless you are in Europe, where nurse anesthetists don't exist, then anesthetists = anesthesiologist.

Reactions: 1 user