Inservice ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiphoid2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to pick the brains of some of the inpatient pharmacists out there. Since I have started the current job as the ID pharmacist/manager, I have been trying to provide some inservice educations for nursing staff, about 15 minutes a piece. My plan is to have 1 inservice a month. Currently trying write one for next month.

The ones I already did were the management of vancomycin, another on aminoglycosides. Emphasizing on ADE, dosing, drawing levels and how to interpret levels. Currently thinking about anti-coag, maybe split that into 2-3 sessions to cover warfarin, heparin, lovenox for next month or two. Then what? Any other ideas?

Being ID focused, I could go into disease state and treatment algorithms, e.g febrile neutropenia, HAP/CAP/VAP, but I figure that might be excessive and not useful for nursing staff. So I'm here poking around for ideas. The audience is mostly RNs and LPNs. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Just want to pick the brains of some of the inpatient pharmacists out there. Since I have started the current job as the ID pharmacist/manager, I have been trying to provide some inservice educations for nursing staff, about 15 minutes a piece. My plan is to have 1 inservice a month. Currently trying write one for next month.

The ones I already did were the management of vancomycin, another on aminoglycosides. Emphasizing on ADE, dosing, drawing levels and how to interpret levels. Currently thinking about anti-coag, maybe split that into 2-3 sessions to cover warfarin, heparin, lovenox for next month or two. Then what? Any other ideas?

Being ID focused, I could go into disease state and treatment algorithms, e.g febrile neutropenia, HAP/CAP/VAP, but I figure that might be excessive and not useful for nursing staff. So I'm here poking around for ideas. The audience is mostly RNs and LPNs. Thanks in advance.

maybe an insulin inservice?

perhaps an inservice on drug distribution in the hospital. so they dont harass the staff pharmacist about missing meds when they get educated on how pharmacy system works

Members don't see this ad :)
How about something around fee or outcomes instead of fee for service...the day is coming where we are going to be held accountable for quality, not just acquisition costs..to survive, we need to show value to the c-suite on quality, not our ability to minimize silo costs.

For example, if the payor mix for <30 day re-admits for a condition are different than the payor mix for the hospital in general, are there tactics we can employ right now to push them beyond 30 days? This might require a variance on a silo budget, but might bring significant downstream financial effects for the hospital.

The nurse, not the doc is the key ally in this.

in service: WHAT DRUGS ARE IN THE REFRIGERATOR

in service: TURN AROUND TIME: What happens when you fax an order?

in service: Dilantin vs tube feedings

in service: insulin

in service: anticoagulation

in service: common drugs ok to give in the same line

in service: administration times and food

in service: pyxis, pharmacy delivery, etc

a lot of areas man. focus on an area that improves the pharmacist workflow by decreasing unecessary calls. that way, the pharmacists and techs focus time on more important tasks. after you can do another inservice on other areas for patient care. i would do the pharmacy function, order turn around time, etc more than once a year though to keep it fresh in their minds. the perception of what pharmacists do by nursing is very skewed.

in service: WHAT DRUGS ARE IN THE REFRIGERATOR

in service: TURN AROUND TIME: What happens when you fax an order?

in service: Dilantin vs tube feedings

in service: insulin

in service: anticoagulation

in service: common drugs ok to give in the same line

in service: administration times and food

in service: pyxis, pharmacy delivery, etc

a lot of areas man. focus on an area that improves the pharmacist workflow by decreasing unecessary calls. that way, the pharmacists and techs focus time on more important tasks. after you can do another inservice on other areas for patient care. i would do the pharmacy function, order turn around time, etc more than once a year though to keep it fresh in their minds. the perception of what pharmacists do by nursing is very skewed.

Quite a few a good ideas. Especially insulin since I just took part in developing insulin protocol, it's going up for P&T in 2 weeks. I can do an inservice after that.

We are a small hospital, and all meds (except IVs/TPNs) comes out of Med-Dispense. So missing meds haven't been much of an issue... now missed doses... is an issue. :( However, how does a pharmacist teach nurses not to forget to give a med?

Last edited:
How about something around fee or outcomes instead of fee for service...the day is coming where we are going to be held accountable for quality, not just acquisition costs..to survive, we need to show value to the c-suite on quality, not our ability to minimize silo costs.

For example, if the payor mix for <30 day re-admits for a condition are different than the payor mix for the hospital in general, are there tactics we can employ right now to push them beyond 30 days? This might require a variance on a silo budget, but might bring significant downstream financial effects for the hospital.

The nurse, not the doc is the key ally in this.

This might be good to teach down the road. But right now, as a new manager and fresh out of clinically based residency, I'm still climbing a steep learning curve on the outcomes QA and reimbursement infos right now. It's an idea I will keep in mind though.

Quite a few a good ideas. Especially insulin since I just took part in developing insulin protocol, it's going up for P&T in 2 weeks. I can do an inservice after that.

We are a small hospital, and all meds (except IVs/TPNs) comes out of Med-Dispense. So missing meds haven't been much of an issue... now missed doses... is an issue. :( However, how does a pharmacist teach nurses not to forget to give a med?

you dont, you just have to keep saying it.

why cant there be a NURSING SURPLUS so we get more competent nurses?!??!

Baseball bat??? Just a thought... :smuggrin:

I just got a call from an RN at 11:30 pm because of a Vanc trough of 16.2. *face-palm* I guess they didn't learn a thing from my Vanc inservice. I don't think even a baseball bat will do the trick my friend. :(

I just got a call from an RN at 11:30 pm because of a Vanc trough of 16.2. *face-palm* I guess they didn't learn a thing from my Vanc inservice. I don't think even a baseball bat will do the trick my friend. :(

I could loan you my Pilot Adjustment Tool that I made when I was a platoon sergeant. It is about 3 foot long, 3 inch diameter piece of aluminum that I turned down a grip on and then hollowed the inside. It comes complete with cross drilling to increase swing speed and a knurled grip to prevent slipping. It makes one hell of a noise when you hammer it onto someones desk :slap: