Inservice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohderm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do you typically get the results from the inservice exam? Yesterday was 6 weeks, so I assume it should be soon

Members don't see this ad.

Should be sometime this week since last year it took 48 days to get results.

Should be sometime this week since last year it took 48 days to get results.

Just got this today:
Important Message about 2012 In-Training Examination Results

To: Dermatology Residency Training Directors and Coordinators

We have just learned that the results of the February 2012 in-training examination will be delayed until the first week of May. Please extend our apologies to your residents.

American Board of Dermatology
1 Ford Place, Detroit, MI 48202 • Phone: 313-874-1088 • Fax: 313-872-3221
Email: [email protected] • Web site: www.abderm.org

Members don't see this ad :)
What a joke

Just got this today:
Important Message about 2012 In-Training Examination Results

To: Dermatology Residency Training Directors and Coordinators

We have just learned that the results of the February 2012 in-training examination will be delayed until the first week of May. Please extend our apologies to your residents.

I wonder if CNN will write a story. "An investigation into what the ABD does with the $45,000+ it gets from residents taking an exam with questions that date from the 1990s..." Surely it isn't investing in technology to score exams

My guess is that they added a bunch of new questions because of all the publicity, and now they gotta run their stats on them.

Don't shoot the messenger...

Correction - 2012 ABD In-Training Examination Results

April 26, 2012

Dermatology Training Directors and Coordinators:

It has come to our attention that the second column (Mean Percent Correct Score) on the 2012 In-Training Examination Examinee Performance Report for your residents is in error. We apologize for this error and will upload corrected documents by the end of business tomorrow, Friday, April 27, or Monday at the very latest. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Sounds like a small error though no? Doesn't look like total test % correct or %ile ranks are likely to change?

Don't shoot the messenger...

Correction - 2012 ABD In-Training Examination Results

April 26, 2012

Dermatology Training Directors and Coordinators:

It has come to our attention that the second column (Mean Percent Correct Score) on the 2012 In-Training Examination Examinee Performance Report for your residents is in error. We apologize for this error and will upload corrected documents by the end of business tomorrow, Friday, April 27, or Monday at the very latest. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

I know my total % correct and corresponding percentile didn't correspond to the chart which showed the curve. That's what they're referring to, right?

What is the goal percentile rank for year class year that one should shoot for? BTW I'm a first year. We don't talk about it much at my program.

I'd say, strong to quite strong...

you need to compare it across classes in your program. Some programs prepare you better for it. If your program has 1st years that typically finish in the top 70th percentile or higher and you're in the bottom 30, well you need to do some work. In the end, as long as you are above the bottom 15% (and stay that way for the boards) you likely will pass.

What extra specifics?

Somewhere I saw that the ABD posted the annual fail rate for the previous 10 years, and to my knowledge, it has never been higher than 11% (has been as low as 2% if I remember correctly). So if you are the 89%-98% above that, you'll be fine. Other factors go into it, of course, such as repeat test takers.

You need to sit down with your PD and ask about a "class average" if it isn't something you all discuss and find out what the historical average has been in each class. (S)he should have that data that could be easy to tally up. From there, you can figure out where you stand and what else you need to do if you are below that. Or you could just compare yourself to the entire field and look at the data tables provided by the ABD in a separate pdf from the individual results of the mock exam.

What extra specifics?

Somewhere I saw that the ABD posted the annual fail rate for the previous 10 years, and to my knowledge, it has never been higher than 11% (has been as low as 2% if I remember correctly). So if you are the 89%-98% above that, you'll be fine. Other factors go into it, of course, such as repeat test takers.

You need to sit down with your PD and ask about a "class average" if it isn't something you all discuss and find out what the historical average has been in each class. (S)he should have that data that could be easy to tally up. From there, you can figure out where you stand and what else you need to do if you are below that. Or you could just compare yourself to the entire field and look at the data tables provided by the ABD in a separate pdf from the individual results of the mock exam.

Agreed. No reason to sweat it any more or less than needed.