Insignificant shadowing experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footNankle

DMU DPM c/o 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm just wondering what you guys think.

I've had multiple shadowing experiences, with DPMs, DOs, and MDs. Most of these experiences have been excellent, however there have been a couple times where I didn't really feel all that welcomed, didn't really learn much from the experience, only shadowed once for a couple hours, etc etc.

Do you guys think I should even bother listing these insignificant experiences on my AACPMAS application? Is there anything wrong with not listing all of them?

Thank you!

D

Members don't see this ad.

I only went in to shadow a podiatrist for a day or two. They didnt question it in my interviews. Just tell them what you learned and saw the day you went.

I shadowed a lot of MDs and DOs as well but didn't list that I did on my application. I brought them up in the interviews if needed

Last edited:
Is there anything wrong with not listing all of them?
If the sampling of your shadowing experience is sufficient to demonstrate your commitment and interest then I don't see any reason to list things you feel were insignificant. There may be a small case to be made for the fact that you spoke with multiple podiatrists, but perhaps your record already contains this. As a personal example - I spent the majority of my time shadowing 1 podiatrist, but had an opportunity to spend an hour with 2 others including a resident. I went ahead and listed, but honestly we're really fretting over nothing here. If you've got your LOR lined up you are certainly good to go in this department.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think I should even bother listing these insignificant experiences on my AACPMAS application? Is there anything wrong with not listing all of them?
I definitely don't think here's anything wrong with not listing them on your application. That said, I didn't find much in the interview that focused on these as talking points, so I wouldn't really worry about the quality of a couple if you do want to record them with the others.

Thank you for the responses, everyone!