Inspirational Quotes to End the Semester With

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At times like these near the end of the year, where finals are rolling up and we're all pooped out, well at least some of us, we need that little extra motivation to keep us going.

One of my favorites is:

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves." Sir Edmund Hillary

However, one of my pre-med friends who is going to med school said this, and it makes me want to try so much harder too :)

"Today we do what others won't. Tomorrow we do what other's cant."

What are your favorite inspirational quotes?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.

Members don't see this ad :)
good idea! :)

i have a million more quotes to share, but these will do it.

"Nothing in life is to be feared: it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."
- Marie Curie

"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician; he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him life a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilites."
- J.K. Rowling, "harry potter and the chamber of secret"

"Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas."
- Marie Curie

And yes, I'm a big fan of Marie Curie.

Read my signature for one of them...

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

-Robert Frost

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'."
-the always quotable Homer

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about dancing in the rain ...

Most people could accomplish extraordinary things if they had the confidence or took risks. Yet most people don't. They sit in front of the television and treat life as if it goes on forever.

Not really a quote, but great song:

People tell me, Ben, just make up junk and turn it in
But I never was alright with turning in a bunch of s***
Don't like wasting time on music that won't make you proud
But now I've found a reason to sit right down and s*** some out

One down and three-point-six
Tomorrow
And I'm outta here

-Ben Folds, "One Down"

solitude said:
Most people could accomplish extraordinary things if they had the confidence or took risks. Yet most people don't. They sit in front of the television and treat life as if it goes on forever.
:thumbup:
I should post that on my bathroom mirror.

clindor, I love that quote!!!

These aren't my favorites; I have a ton of different quotes but thought these might be fitting.

When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure.
– Peter Marshall

What is harder than rock, or softer than water? Yet soft water hollows out hard rock. Persevere.
– Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.
– Benjamin Mays

People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning.
– Lao-Tzu

Members don't see this ad :)
My Fav quotes:

"Ya can't keep it real if you ain't real with yourself." - Myself

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Gandhi

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

And of course my signature :)

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step
-Confucius

You cannot find peace by avoiding life.
-Virginia Woolf/The Hours

this is a great thread.

we need more creative threads like this instead of the hackneyed "does undergrad matter" "Harvard or JHU?" "Are You White" "Why medicine", etc. threads.

MediMama23 said:
clindor, I love that quote!!!

These aren't my favorites; I have a ton of different quotes but thought these might be fitting.

When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure.
– Peter Marshall

What is harder than rock, or softer than water? Yet soft water hollows out hard rock. Persevere.
– Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.
– Benjamin Mays

People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning.
– Lao-Tzu
Thanks, me too. Here's one more:

Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive. ~Josephine Hart

A great quote from Schwarzenegger....

"There's really an attitude to winning. You have to see yourself winning before you win. And you have to be hungry. You have to want to conquer."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger

He's got a lot!

Don't worry about the future.
Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve algebra equations by chewing bubble gum.
The real troubles in your life are apt to be ones that never crossed your worried mind,
The kind that blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday.
-Mary Schmidt

"The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn."

— T.H. White, The Once and Future King

everything will be okay in the end.
if it's not okay,
it's not the end
--email

To find in ourselves what makes life worth living is risky business, for it means that once we know we must seek it. It also means that without it, life will be worthless.
-anon

clindor said:
Thanks, me too. Here's one more:

Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive. ~Josephine Hart

That's one of my boyfriend's favorites.

Here's my contribution:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - R. A. Heinlein

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi

Here's some motivational quotes for people who need a bit of a darker form of inspiration, complete with pictures:

achievement.jpg

laziness.jpg

potential.jpg

underachievement.jpg

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but rising every time we fall.

I absolutely love those demotivators from Despair.com

If you have the time read them all cause they are awesome to be able to quote on a whim. You never know when they come in handy to compensate for that overly cheery and annoying person at a class who feels its there duty to cheer everyone up with quotes. :smuggrin:

My personal favorite has always been the one shown "remember not everyone gets to be an astronaut" :laugh:

hey hey hey hey, smoke weed everyday - dave chapelle

abj said:
Here's some motivational quotes for people who need a bit of a darker form of inspiration, complete with pictures:

pictures....

:love:

remarkal3le said:
my fortune cookie said

"Be a Winner"

Everyone: listen to the cookie

ha..ha. i know what you mean.

remarkal3le said:
my fortune cookie said

"Be a Winner"

Everyone: listen to the cookie

True story:

one time I opened up a fortune cookie after a meal. The slip of paper read simply:

"You can read."

:laugh:

"Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible" ~ Anonymous

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." ~Charles Schultz

if there was nothing wrong in the world there wouldn't be anything for us to do. --george bernard shaw

^i live by this

"The early worm is for the birds."

"Adversity: That which does not kill me only postpones the inevitable."

"Always remember, you are unique. Just like everybody else."

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."

Tubthumping - Motivation for this wednesday night when Im done with finals and get so trashed that someone has to carry me home!

I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're neva gonna
Keep me down

Pissin' the night away
Pissin' the night away

He drinks a whisky drink
He drinks a vodka drink
He drinks a lager drink
He drinks a cider drink
He sings the songs that
Remind him
Of the good times
He sings the songs that
Remind him
Of the betta times:

"Oh Danny Boy
Danny Boy
Danny Boy..."

Oh yea, my quote below....

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid." - James Watson

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity, and I must be prepared to make my own luck" -- derivation of Seneca (Roman dramatist) quote

"when i read about the evils of drinking, i gave up reading"
some old (dead?) person

-mota

“Go without a coat when it's cold; find out what cold is. Go hungry; keep your existence lean. Wear away the fat, get down to the lean tissue and see what it's all about. The only time you define your character is when you go without. In times of hardship, you find out what you're made of and what you're capable of. If you're never tested, you'll never define your character.” - Henry Rollins

“Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them.” Chuck Bukowski

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world." The Buddha

"No battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools." Faulkner