Institutional Action with brutal wording

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jcmil32

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the wording on my record is a little sketchy. They listed my action as "Threatening and Drunken Behavior." Here is my description of the event from my AMCAS application:

"The charge on my record is described as “Threatening and Drunken Behavior.” This happened off campus in September of 2009, within four weeks of starting my freshman year of college. I was involved in the fraternity rush process and had been spending time around members of different fraternities that I wanted to join. One night some friends and I decided to walk a couple blocks to some fraternity parties from the dorms and consumed alcohol in one of the houses. We then left to go to another fraternity's house. Upon arriving to the fraternity’s house, they would not let me enter because they claimed that I was already committed to a different fraternity. They then said that the party was full and turned me away. When this happened, I was very embarrassed and felt the need to impress those around me. Consequently, one of the fraternity members that was working the door and I got into an argument. One thing led to another and words were exchanged in regards to fighting. Nothing physical ever came about through this situation. Although I deeply regret my actions that night, I significantly matured from this event."

This event occurred 4 years ago (I'm currently a fifth year senior.) It was literally a bunch of he said, she said stuff that was said by the guy working the door in order to try to hurt the fraternity that I was joining. How much do you think this will affect my application?

I am a Spanish major with minors in Biology and Chemistry.

As far as extracurriculars:
Studied abroad twice (Argentina-6 months and Guatemala-2 months.)
Founded my school's rugby club team and held the position of president for 1.5 years. I am also the current team captain and I led our team to our conference championship tournament last year.
Leadership positions in multiple organizations (Fraternity Historian, Social Chair, Scholarship Chair; Interfraternity Council Delegate and Programs Chairman; Undergraduate Student Government Senator)
Attended various leadership conferences (one for student government, two through fraternity)
300 hours of shadowing. (Primary care, general surgery, nephrology, cardiology, hepatology, pathology, cardiothoracic surgery,
160 hours of health-related volunteering (Medical mission trip to Guatemala and 1 week as a counselor at camp for kidney transplant and dialysis children.)
190 hours of other volunteering.
70 hours in a research lab.
Various honors societies, president's list, received one of two UAB Scholarships in Spanish.

Sorry for the long post, but I just want to be thorough. Thank you for taking the time to read everything and give me advice. Like I mentioned in my description for the AMCAS, I have significantly matured since this event and it was an isolated incident. Furthermore, the administrator who initially dealt with this conduct violation is also one of my letter writers and is going to write about how he has seen me mature since this event. I have worked with him in many areas to include student government resolutions and programs and the formation of a sports club organization to give funding to sports clubs on campus. How are my chances with the schools I am applying to? The link to my MDapps profile is below my profile info.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do NOT make excuses, because this is what you're doing here. You were immature, drunk and you screwed up. The fact that this occurred 4 years ago is a plus...the passage of time diffuses the harshness of the event. We were all stupid once. I'm cringing now thinking of the stuff that I did.

This event occurred 4 years ago (I'm currently a fifth year senior.) It was literally a bunch of he said, she said stuff that was said by the guy working the door in order to try to hurt the fraternity that I was joining. How much do you think this will affect my application?

Your ECs are outstanding. There's another plus.

I think I'd be more optimistic than pessimistic. You have grown since the event, and it sounds like you're getting an LOR that will really mitigate the damage done to your reputation by the IA.

Therefore, I predict that you'll get plenty of interviews, but then it will be on you to own your transgression. Again, if you make excuses, your medical career will be over.

Like I mentioned in my description for the AMCAS, I have significantly matured since this event and it was an isolated incident. Furthermore, the administrator who initially dealt with this conduct violation is also one of my letter writers and is going to write about how he has seen me mature since this event.

Thank you for the helpful advice. I will steer away from going into detail in that aspect and just take full ownership of my actions. It just makes me nervous because I know there are thousands of applications that don't have an IA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just now reading this. But how did the application process go? Did you disclose the event on the application? I'm currently going through the same situation (very minor) and would like some advice.

Woah, 3 year thread bump.

Reactions: 1 users
I had two "minor in possession of alcohol" charges in my freshman year as well. From what I have read, the best advice is to turn the negative into a positive. Say you have learned from your mistakes and it has made you better, etc. My only question is if you go to a school in a different state from where the charges occur, do the schools have access to your criminal records from the different state??

I'm just now reading this. But how did the application process go? Did you disclose the event on the application? I'm currently going through the same situation (very minor) and would like some advice.

Completely forgot that this post was still hanging around somewhere! Everything was fine. There are plenty of people out there who have institutional actions/misdemeanors, etc, on their record and get accepted to great medical schools. The most important things are to demonstrate that you have changed, take ownership of your actions, and have a clear explanation of the events that is neither dismissive nor attempts to justify your actions. I was accepted to a top 10 medical school, have moved on, and will never have to deal with that again. It was a minor road bump in my life and admissions committees could see through my letters of rec, involvement, and interviews that I wasn't a "risk" to accept. In terms of these types of blemishes on your record, they are essentially trying to make sure that you aren't a risky candidate to accept. By risky, I mean someone who could potentially do something down the road to make their institution look bad in the media, someone who could potentially fail out and hurt their stats for ranking purposes, and someone who could be a risk to other students and, most importantly, to patients. If you have any further questions, ask away. I am busy these days, but will attempt to answer in as timely a manner as possible as others helped me through my anxieties surrounding these events when I was in your situation.

Reactions: 1 user