Institutional GPA vs Cumulative GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jayteeteejay

Hey, so I started my first year of college at a school where I was not incredibly focused so I ended up with a ~3.26 gpa after 30 credits. However, I transferred schools and at my new school i've managed a 4.0 gpa after taking about 37 credits. My cumulative gpa is ~3.68. So I was wondering how med schools would take this (just focusing on the gpa here not mcat or anything else)? Would they be forgiving for noticing an upward trend or would they just see the 3.68, discount me immediately, and forget about the 4.0 (assuming i'm applying to top tier dream schools). Thanks!

p.s I'm new here so my bad if I violated any rules (let me know if I have)

Members don't see this ad.

Cumulative is most considered, but they will also see your drastic upward trend after transferring. Additionally, 3.68 will not count you out from any school (though it will make it tough for a select few).

Reactions: 1 user
Discount you for a 3.68? That's not a thing. To answer your question though, what they see is a good GPA with a better upward trend. Your cGPA is still your cGPA (institution shift doesn't affect this) but someone who has your cGPA without an upward trend will not look as good.

You didn't violate any rules, but there have been quite a few recent threads about this same issue that you could look at for more information. If you think a cGPA of 3.68 isn't good enough then you're just about neurotic enough to fit in here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Good point. I really messed up freshman year but busted my balls afterwards at my new college. I might add that my new college is slightly less prestigeuos than my old one but not a big difference. Also, if anyone's confused cumulative gpa in this contexts indicates my combined gpa from my old and new colleges

Good point. I really messed up freshman year but busted my balls afterwards at my new college. I might add the my new college is slightly less prestigeuos than my old one but not a big difference. Also, if anone's confused cumulative gpa in this contexts indicates my combined gpa from my old and new colleges

That's good, because that's what cGPA means :p The extra work you put in definitely paid off, well done