Insurance Reimbursement as an intern/supervisee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BSWdavid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused about an issue and hoping to get some feedback. Can a licensed clinical social worker, psychologist, licensed counselor, etc. bill private insurance for the services provided by a supervisee, or can they only bill for services that they have directly provided? I have received mixed feedback on this issue and would like some clarification. What also confuses me is that physicians tend to bill for services they don't directly provide (i.e., seeing the medical assistant for a blood pressure check). This is all quite confusing as I am completing my MSW and looking for employment.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

In California, psychologists can bill for services rendered by their licensed psychological assistants.

In clinics unfortunately they often bill for intern services, which is major fraud in my opinion, since most of the time interns are not paid or minimally stipended.

Reactions: 1 user
In California, psychologists can bill for services rendered by their licensed psychological assistants.

In clinics unfortunately they often bill for intern services, which is major fraud in my opinion, since most of the time interns are not paid or minimally stipended.

What about an unlicensed therapist who is a paid employee working towards licensure?

I assume you mean for therapy? It varies a lot by insurance provider, state and type of business. Some places like CMHCs can bill medicaid for interns etc... as part of a contractual arrangement. Generally in a private or non-profit setting billing commercial 3rd party insurances for the work of an intern or unlicensed person is fraudulent.