Integrated Plastic Surgery Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Born2baDoctor

Medicine: A Natural High
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From those who have experience on these now more popular residencies, do patients feel like the surgeon is less competent when they are trained with an integrated program? The traditional route is usually 5 years general surgery + 2 or 3 years plastics while the integrated programs are 6 years. Any reponses would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no real experience with patient opinions on this subject, so I am not really answering your question directly.

However, I would guess that the average patient would have no idea what the differences in training would really mean. As people in the medical field we know and understand the pros and cons of the training, but a random person off of the street just knows that the doctor is a "plastic surgeon."

I doubt most people would really have a sound understanding of what it means to be a plastic surgeon by going integrated, independent, or through another route like ENT. In the end, the results and recommendations from other patients will likely be far more important than any perceived differences in training.

One problem I could see is if the patient was looking around on the internet and stumbled upon some influential opinions in support of or critical of the integrated system.

that was a lot more than I intended to write, but I think those are some key points that are applicable to your question.

can someone please provide a list of all us integrated model plastic surgery residencies?

Best,

StacyCA

DW3843 said:
I have no real experience with patient opinions on this subject, so I am not really answering your question directly.

However, I would guess that the average patient would have no idea what the differences in training would really mean. As people in the medical field we know and understand the pros and cons of the training, but a random person off of the street just knows that the doctor is a "plastic surgeon."

I doubt most people would really have a sound understanding of what it means to be a plastic surgeon by going integrated, independent, or through another route like ENT. In the end, the results and recommendations from other patients will likely be far more important than any perceived differences in training.

One problem I could see is if the patient was looking around on the internet and stumbled upon some influential opinions in support of or critical of the integrated system.

that was a lot more than I intended to write, but I think those are some key points that are applicable to your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
No offense, but there are a couple things to think about:
1. No reply to this request in ~2wks

2. Most people do not have lists of these programs

3. Anyone interested in Plastic Surgery, i.e. medical Students, probably are going through the appropriate channels to search this information.

I wish you no disrespect, but I am surprized that anyone wanting to get into one of the most competitive fields would ask that question of anyone.

Do some work.

StacyCA said:
can someone please provide a list of all us integrated model plastic surgery residencies?

Best,

StacyCA

Agree that people should do as much leg work as possible before asking q's. On plasticseducation.com the residencies are listed. Also almost all patients have absolutely no clue in regards to medical training systems whatsoever.

started new thread