Integrated Programs: 3-years only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunneria

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which derm programs give you the chance to do derm residency in only 3 years with the transitional or prelim year contents integrated into those 3 years...

Members don't see this ad.

troll question.

:luck: anyone think another interview for derm is in the mail? :luck:

actually im not trolling dawg, some previous resident in another thread actually mentioned it...so sweet accusation bro

Members don't see this ad :)
I could be wrong, but I don't think that exists. The med/derm programs are 5 years, and there are special academic track and 2+2 programs. However, I'm not aware of any three year combined intern/advanced programs.

Link to the thread?

Not accusing you of being a troll, silly! My question was a troll Q.

:luck: anyone think another interview for derm is in the mail? :luck:

Your inquiry was completely serious. Do you have any further information on the subject?

No such program exists. Derm is a 3 year residency following at least a PGY-1 year. There are some programs that offer the intern year combined into their match (so called "categorical" programs). There are also programs offering combined IM-Derm but they are typically 5 years.

Categorical = you don't need to learn the system twice, it's administrative integrated learning (still 1+3 yrs). This has been sweetness! :)

I think it can go either way. I have been very happy and would definitely recommend the away TY/Prelim year plus Advanced Derm over the Categorical route.

There are a lot of fantastic Transitional/Prelim programs out there that you have the opportunity to evaluate on a program-by-program basis. Conversely, among the Categorical Derm programs, there are certainly some (not all) programs with a brutal in-house prelim medicine year that will beat you into submission and crush your soul under a never-ending mountain of scut work.

Learning the system, not having to move, not having to change/roll over benefits and not having to re-apply for state licenses are all perks of categorical programs. However, sacrificing these perks may be a small price to pay to insure having a reasonable intern year with appropriate time to learn the fundamentals of general internal medicine and patient care.

Figuring out how much scut versus not exists at intern programs seems to be one of the toughest things. At interviews ya know everyone wants to know it, but nobody really wants to be the one to ask about it. heh.

Re. the scutwork
What do you think would be the most acceptable/politically correct way to ask about scutwork in a particular program you interview at?

Since there are so many people on the forum, don't we know or can't we ask people to share which programs are how?

Re. getting a decent 1st year with enough training (within a categorical or otherwise), again, can we please find out which categorical programs have a really good 1st year and which transitional/prelim programs give th ebest training?

Thanks.