Interest in neuropsychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pamplemousse926

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this post should go on the WAMC thread, because I'm not really asking what my chances are (I know at the current moment they're next to to 0%), but more if this is even a path I should consider pursuing given my background/current status....

While in undergrad I took neuroanatomy and neuropsychology and really enjoyed these classes. I also interned with a cognitive neuropsychologist during my semester abroad in London and it was an absolutely wonderful experience. His research focused on executive dysfunction, and I loved working with him.

After graduating from school I worked in stroke/memory disorders research at Massachusetts General Hospital for 3 years, and was involved in the neuropsych testing and MRI/fMRIs scans for our patients and found it fascinating. While at MGH I was able to get my name on 6 papers. I then moved with my significant other to the University of Virginia and worked in Neurosurgery in the clinical trials department mainly focusing on spinal cord injury. Interesting, but not really in my passion area.

I have thought for a long time that I wanted to pursue a PhD in either cognitive or behavioral neuroscience and did the masters in animal science to gain some animal experience to better figure out which side of research I would enjoy more (and to remedy my GPA a bit). However, I have recently been wondering if this is the specific avenue I want to go down. I fear I would really miss the clinical/patient focused side of research...which I find is the best part of it all. I love interacting with the patients and find that having that human component is what makes neuro research so fascinating. From what I understand of it (of course I am no expert), neuropsychology seems like the perfect occupation to bring all of my interests together. I would ideally love to work dementia patients, particularly those with frontotemporal dementia.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
After graduating from school I worked in stroke/memory disorders research at Massachusetts General Hospital for 3 years, and was involved in the neuropsych testing and MRI/fMRIs scans for our patients and found it fascinating. While at MGH I was able to get my name on 6 papers. I then moved with my significant other to the University of Virginia and worked in Neurosurgery in the clinical trials department mainly focusing on spinal cord injury.
I know I would need to get some psychology related research experience, but given my very low gpa and the fact that I am late to the game (I am now 30), does it even make sense to start down the clinical psych path en route to neuropsych? I almost feel as though this may be a ship that has sailed.

It sounds like you have quite a bit of psychology-related research experience and much more exposure to neuropsychology than most people at the applicant stage. In other words, it sounds like by the time you were done at MGH you liked what you saw and had seen enough to make an informed decision about whether to pursue further training in a clinical neuro-related area. But you started a master's in animal science. That part doesn't add up for me.

As for choosing the doctoral path, it really comes down to what other viable career options are available to you and how those fit with your other goals for the next decade of your life. Neuropsychology training doesn't take much longer, if at all, than any other solid clinical psychology training - maybe 5 years of grad school, 1 year of internship, and 2 years in fellowship. 8 years is longer than the 4 or 5 you'd need to get a Ph.D. in neuroscience, but if you feel strongly about clinical practice there's no way around it. If you became a neurologist you would be looking at the same investment of time (though the financial equation would be very different).

I know a few folks who started grad school around 30 and they seemed to land well. Obviously, you would just be kicking off your career at an age when many others are getting promotions and tenure, but if it's your passion (though I question this, given your narrative) and within your means, then it's not too late.

Reactions: 1 user
FWIW…I think you have a shot bc of the additional research experience. In your cover letter you'll want to address (briefly) the lower uGPA, as everything else looks great. Your MS & GRE scores will make your uGPA less of an issue.

I'm out of the loop w. programs and who is where these days, but maybe a current or former mentor can make some calls on your behalf.

Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW…I think you have a shot bc of the additional research experience. In your cover letter you'll want to address (briefly) the lower uGPA, as everything else looks great. Your MS & GRE scores will make your uGPA less of an issue.

I'm out of the loop w. programs and who is where these days, but maybe a current or former mentor can make some calls on your behalf.

My exact thoughts as well. Your research background looks great, and the animal neuroscience exposure may actually work to your advantage (e.g., my advisor in grad school and multiple supervisors on internship/postdoc completed similar masters programs and/or worked in animal labs while in undergrad). If neuropsych (which, yes, would position you well to work both clinically and in research with dementia populations) is an interest, you seem like you're ready to apply as of right now.

I wish my fellows came in with a better understanding of imaging, so any exposure is great (in my opinion). I'm also a big fan of animal labs bc I think they teach good methods and various concepts of neuroanatomy or neurophysiology learned there can be helpful down the road.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for the great (and positive) feedback! I'm hoping to get into a FTD lab for the next year and also take the psych GRE.

I completely understand the human component. A year of histology work was what convinced me to pursue a more "human" doctoral degree. It is never too late :)

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this question. I can't seem to figure out what university is the best choice for a student who is hoping to become a pediatric neuropsychologist. I am interested in research and would love to do both clinical and research oriented work after becoming licensed. I am currently a senior at Suffolk University. I have found a few schools with a neuropsych track, but they are limited. Should I be looking for clinical psych PhD programs with a concentration in neuropsych, or placing more focus on other programs such as a PhD in neuroscience or brain sciences? I am really lost and any info would be more than helpful! I have pretty competitive credentials so I am keeping my options open I just have to find out exactly what those options are. I am currently looking at:
University of Rhode Island
University of Connecticut
Suffolk University
Boston University
Any other suggestions?