Interested in becoming an OB/GYN. College recommendations?

buttercup1732

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior in high school and without any study or preparation, I only got a 27 on the ACT at the very beginning of my junior year. I live in Illinois, and would prefer to go to an in-state school. However, I am not sure whether I would want to be in a big school where the relationship with your professors is not so close. I would like to feel comfortable approaching my teachers/asking for any help, and I don't think I would feel like that if I were in a large school. My cumulative GPA is 4.386 and unweighted (I'm unable to view this on the online grading system) but I think it was 3.8 something? I am ranked among the top 10% of my class currently. I am in honors and AP classes, have been involved in them in all years. I am also on the girls' bowling team, although I don't plan on being on a team in college since I'm not that good at it, and I play guitar and piano. On the weekends I volunteer at a local animal shelter. Not like an overachiever or anything, I just do what I can and I genuinely enjoy helping out other people.

Haven't looked much at all, but was thinking...

• Eastern Illinois University - small school, even though it's not that selective. Idk if this would look bad on med school applications or what
  • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - yeah it's big, but like it's a good school so I thought maybe this would look better
  • University of Illinois at Chicago - also big and not too selective, but I heard if you go through your 4 years there, you get a spot in their medical school program. Does this sound like a good idea?
edit: Also forgot to mention in here that I am looking to become an OB/GYN :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your flagship state school sounds like an excellent choice. Medical schools won't really distinguish between the three schools you listed, so go to whichever you feel is the best fit.

Reactions: 2 users