Interested In Computational Biology/Informatics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnConstantine511

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am a Computer Science grad working as a Software Engineer. I am looking at fields that intersect Computer Science and Medicine. So far I have looked at Computational Biology, Health and Bioinformatics.

Would getting an MD along with a PhD be advantageous in these fields and what advantages would having an MD have? Also, is there any other fields that would combine Medicine and Computer Science?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should only do the MD if you want to be a physician and want to make direct impacts to medicine in the clinic through your work. As far as just doing cool work with computer science and applying it to biological systems, a PhD is more than sufficient. And, you should really enjoy doing research work if you do the PhD. You can do cool stuff by starting your own startup or something else as an undergrad. So, it depends on what you want to do

Btw,

There are a ton of ways to combine medicine and computer science. Especially if you work some with machine learning

The "advantage" of the MD, if you can call it that --> potentially making a lot more $ with a completely different lifestyle.

Reactions: 1 user