Interested in Mathematical Physiology: MD, PhD, or MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realityshowfan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, new guy here.

I will be starting college in the fall and would like to hear from anybody who might have some advice. I have been doing a lot of research on various careers, and I came across a special field of applied mathematics where people use mathematical models to describe many different physiological processes. I read something about physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling (PBPK), that sounds like it might be up my alley. I could really see myself doing something like this, although that would be very far away and I could definitely change my mind down the line.

But let's just say that I have decided on this, for simplicity's sake. Now I'm sure that there are already tons of texts that cover this kind of area I'm interested in, but I don't want to just focus on modeling normal body function (although I would be perfectly happy to do that if there is some kind of career in that). What I would really like to be able to do is create new models of pathological functions or drug interactions and be able to use these models to develop better therapeutic strategies for patients.

I guess what I would like to know is if there is some kind of occupation that might kind of or even have a lot of what I have been talking about. Would it possible to be a physician and still do this kind of thing? Or is it too "unclinical" and I would be better off in academia? This is why I asked about the MD or PhD in the thread title.

If anybody could even answer just one of my questions or has any information about anything that I have mentioned, I would really appreciate it. Thanks! The future scares me...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody, new guy here.

I will be starting college in the fall and would like to hear from anybody who might have some advice. I have been doing a lot of research on various careers, and I came across a special field of applied mathematics where people use mathematical models to describe many different physiological processes. I read something about physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling (PBPK), that sounds like it might be up my alley. I could really see myself doing something like this, although that would be very far away and I could definitely change my mind down the line.

But let's just say that I have decided on this, for simplicity's sake. Now I'm sure that there are already tons of texts that cover this kind of area I'm interested in, but I don't want to just focus on modeling normal body function (although I would be perfectly happy to do that if there is some kind of career in that). What I would really like to be able to do is create new models of pathological functions or drug interactions and be able to use these models to develop better therapeutic strategies for patients.

I guess what I would like to know is if there is some kind of occupation that might kind of or even have a lot of what I have been talking about. Would it possible to be a physician and still do this kind of thing? Or is it too "unclinical" and I would be better off in academia? This is why I asked about the MD or PhD in the thread title.

If anybody could even answer just one of my questions or has any information about anything that I have mentioned, I would really appreciate it. Thanks! The future scares me...
Interested only in treating patients --> MD --> hospital or private practice
Interested in both research and treating patients --> MD --> academic medicine or industry
Interested mostly in research, less in treating patients (80%/20% rule) --> MD/PhD --> academic medicine or industry
Interested only in research --> PhD --> academics (probably in applied math, chemistry, biology, or biophysics) or industry

Last edited:
Interested only in treating patients --> MD --> hospital or private practice
Interested in both research and treating patients --> MD --> academic medicine or industry
Interested mostly in research, less in treating patients (80%/20% rule) --> MD/PhD --> academic medicine or industry
Interested only in research --> PhD --> academics (probably in applied math, chemistry, biology, or biophysics) or industry
Not quite so, but I would almost agree with that.

MD (Private Practice): just treat patients
MD (Academic Medicine): patients and clinical research, ie research directly on patients, not the kind you are describing (the barriers facing MD only physician scientists just starting out are rising and fewer are able to overcome them, so soon clinical research will be the only real viable option)
MD/PhD: patients and translational research (this could be precisely the research you describe and would actually be great for a physician scientist)
PhD: you can certainly take this route too

Bottom line: do you want to see patients too? If so, try MD/PhD. If not, just get a PhD