Interested in ORTHO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

countach1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting D4 and after shadowing in the ortho department, I am developing a strong interest in ortho. My class rank is 30/75, with plenty of leadership and volunteer experience. but I'm not sure if I stand a chance since it seems that most successful applicants are top 10% with an exceptional few in the top 20. If anyone has any experience or was in my shoes, your feed back will be high appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

aren't there any ortho residents or potential applicants in the house?

have a sit down talk with ortho director. Class rank is just a part of it….gpa, boards, research, etc. Might as well apply and if you don't get in apply the next year. Also look into gpr or aegd just in case. Know your reason why you like it better than general dentistry and other specialties

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks rbmdmd,

I understand that ortho is not as hot as was in the 90s, but i really like having the ability to perform macro change, every case takes a lot of planning and thought, and I'd like to work predominantly with a younger age group.
I was planning on continuing to shadow to insure that ortho is really what I'm passionate about.
I am not sure how I would be able to upload two personal statements on PASS if I am applying to both ortho and GPRs.

Which schools are the most competitive for acceptance?

Last edited:
Thanks rbmdmd,

I understand that ortho is not as hot as was in the 90s, but i really like having the ability to perform macro change, every case takes a lot of planning and thought, and I'd like to work predominantly with a younger age group.
I was planning on continuing to shadow to insure that ortho is really what I'm passionate about.
I am not sure how I would be able to upload two personal statements on PASS if I am applying to both ortho and GPRs.

You can definitely apply for both Ortho and GPRs at the same time. I believe you can write 2 personal statements and upload them specifically for GPRs and Ortho programs, but you have to make sure it is the correct one. I did not get in my first try, and I did an AEGD for one year until I was accepted the following year. During that one year, I shadowed several orthodontists, both private practice and faculty at certain programs, and also read ortho articles and some Proffit text on the side. This really solidified my decision to do ortho. In regards to your class rank, I believe you should talk to your ortho director asap and get his or her advice on the subject. Some programs focus on solely GPA, while others look at everything. Since you are in the top 40%, I'm not sure if many programs would look at your application very thoroughly, because that is one of the things that gets you past Part A of the review process. You might be better off doing an AEGD/GPR or ortho internship to build your resume up before applying. The last thing you don't want to do is say goodbye to $10,000 in application fees, etc.