Interested in Pulm/CC, no in house fellowship though

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desijigga

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, appreciate any input...
I am 2nd year DO resident at a university program in the midwest, decent size hospital (1000 beds), quite a few fellowships (Cards, GI, etc..). But unfortunately no pulm/cc fellowship. Although we have a big MICU and get transfers from outside smaller hospitals often and I have gotten good exposure to lines, intubations, and helped with couple bronchs.

So far I have 1 ccm journal publication, 1 national pulm conference poster (working on another one), couple local ACP posters. Working on couple research projects with pulm faculty. Will also be getting solid LORs from faculty at my program. Just wondering how big of a disadvantage I will be at when applying as I have not had exposure to pulmonary fellows and fellowship and also being a DO? I was planning on applying to about 60 programs all over the country (interview at 10-12 spots hopefully), variety of top powerhouses, mid tier, and low tier. I hope to match at a place where they have mix clinical exposure and research.
Should I apply to more places? 70, 80... As you all know money is tight during residency but I figure I should spend money as its my future. What else should I be doing? I tried rotating at a residency program with inhouse pulm fellowship, but it was not working out with my schedule, and also I did not want to look like a dunce trying to learn the new system.

I decided to open this thread up so maybe others in my position can get some insight also.

Members don't see this ad.

Also interested in what current PCCM fellows have to say to your post…anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Only a hopeful PCCM fellow myself at this point, but your app seems pretty solid. I can't imagine you having any trouble matching with the publication and poster on your CV.

Agreed with the above, I entered the fellowship arena with less than that. I had a review manuscript and a couple poster/presentations including one at ACP National. I applied to about thirty or so programs and got about a dozen interviews. I matched well at a venerable PulmCCM stronghold in the Midwest. It may have taken a few hits this past decade, but it's a great place with good opportunities clinically and in the realm of basic research.
I think that sixty or so is more than enough, but if you're uncertain then spend the cash on the applications as they are relatively cheap. Be more stingy when choosing interviews as that's where the money is spent on travel and lodging.
Know the places where you will interview: what is their strength...are they a PulmHTN powerhouse, a Critical Care Mecca, a CF corner stone, or a research farm. All are desirable for the right candidate, what is your interest?
I knew that I find Critical Care and CF to be my priorities, I am near to getting that where I am.
This is the next step in your training, likely the last step. Make it one that suits you well in making you the physician you envision yourself to be.

Dude. I am a DO and had way less cred than you. I didn't do any research. All I had was one pub and chief res. I got into Duke for pulm/cc. You will be more than fine. I applied to 30 programs and got 18 interviews. I could only afford to go on 8. Don't waste your money applying to 60! Good luck!