interested prosth applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flurocore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am a dentist, having graduated in 2010, completed a GPR, and currently finishing out my time in the Navy. I'm interested in applying to prosth programs. My stats from dental school are less than average, but I did complete the GPR and have a genuine interest in prosthodontics. I love it, and truly enjoy it. Any advice out there on how I can make my application as strong as possible? I really wish I worked harder in dental school, but at least I had a good time. Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I am a dentist, having graduated in 2010, completed a GPR, and currently finishing out my time in the Navy. I'm interested in applying to prosth programs. My stats from dental school are less than average, but I did complete the GPR and have a genuine interest in prosthodontics. I love it, and truly enjoy it. Any advice out there on how I can make my application as strong as possible? I really wish I worked harder in dental school, but at least I had a good time. Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Honestly, the GPR and "genuine interest in prosthodontics" means more than you might think in our little world. If you get some good recs from your GPR attendings and Navy docs you probably stand a decent chance. In the meantime, I would recommend contacting a few programs you might be interested in and, if the Navy will let you, visit and show your face. Be frank that you're very interested but concerned about your chances for admission and ask for advice. Some programs don't take visitors, but plenty do. Are you considering applying for Navy pros at all? Bethesda is supposed to be a great program. And the director of the Washington DC VA (Dr. Leupold) is a retired Navy Captain - might be worth contacting him.

Let me know if you have any other questions - I'm happy to help :) PM me too if you'd like.

You should really apply for DUINS. You're going to get paid over $100K per year and have no tuition there. You will never deploy as a prosthodontist in the Navy unless you volunteer for it. Why didn't you apply to DUINS previously?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Mackchops. The best thing you could do for yourself is reach out to programs of interest and ask to come visit them for a couple days. With your experience and genuine interest getting some face to face time would be very beneficial.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies all. I am in the process of putting an application in through PASS and contacting various programs of interest. Gotta try!