Interesting Article about Neuropsychology in the DoD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Scathing does not begin to describe that article….yikes. Sadly I'm not surprised but the misappropriated money because that's what happens in big bureaucracies, particularly when there are coffers to fill. In an ideal worth there would be a few less F-22's (~$350m/ea) and another billion or so dollars to properly fund mental health…but that is probably asking too much of this administration.

I spent a year working in the VA system (~5 years ago) and there were definitely issues at my VA hospital in regard to test access and assessment wait times (3-4+ months), but we at least had some support from our service line to hire an additional technician and purchase updates to various assessments. Another FT neuropsychologist and technician would have made a world of difference, but good luck getting that budgeted.

TBH, most of the pts don't need npsych testing for mTBI. They may benefit from a psych assessment for psychiatric conditions, but 99.9999999 of people with a mTBI recover with no ill effects. All we get from the npsych testing is below chance performance on PVT's or normal memory functioning, with problems better accounted for by either PTSD, depression, or secondary gain.