Interesting Article about Rate per Hour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wired202808

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Articl.../?SiteId=cbmsnhp42901&sc_extcmp=JS_2901_home1

Dentist: Examine, diagnose and treat diseases, injuries and malformations of teeth and gums. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp and other dental tissues affecting oral health and retention of teeth. May fit dental appliances or provide preventive care.
Median salary: $141,040
Median hourly wage: $67.81

The only professions on that list more lucrative were anesthesiologist and CEO (assuming its a small company CEO, not Steve Jobs)

Pretty high hourly rate. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

After talking to a few 4th year students, that's the going rate day one out of school around my neck of the woods. Most established dentists would laugh at you or tell you you're doing something wrong if that was your gross salary.

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Articl.../?SiteId=cbmsnhp42901&sc_extcmp=JS_2901_home1

Dentist: Examine, diagnose and treat diseases, injuries and malformations of teeth and gums. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp and other dental tissues affecting oral health and retention of teeth. May fit dental appliances or provide preventive care.

The only professions on that list more lucrative were anesthesiologist and CEO (assuming its a small company CEO, not Steve Jobs)

What if you were some how able to combine a dentist and an anesthesiologist somehow...into some sort of dental anesthesiologist...I bet that guy would clean up hourly

Members don't see this ad :)

That calculation is a little flawed as the average dentist (mid career) probably doesnt work 40 hours a week and takes 3+ weeks off a year. So the hourly rate would be a over the $67.81 estimate.

I know people in IT/comp sci who are paid hourly that take home more than that (75+) . My uncle is a consultant in pharma/healthcare who's houly billing rate is 300+. Downside of consultancy is that it is not full time and depends on need. Working a few months in a row and taking a month off affords a nice life, for sure.

But who wants to be the assistant? Why not be the boss - the guy cutting. :cool:

What if you were some how able to combine a dentist and an anesthesiologist somehow...into some sort of dental anesthesiologist...I bet that guy would clean up hourly

OP - I've heard that alot of salary surveys report the income of those who are employed. So this may be more accurate for people working for chains or in academics. I think the ADA average was ~200k for owners of general dental practices.

After talking to a few 4th year students, that's the going rate day one out of school around my neck of the woods. Most established dentists would laugh at you or tell you you're doing something wrong if that was your gross salary.

What region are you in?

Northwest Wisconsin. Most dentists are hush hush around here but its pretty obvious they make bank when the three dentist in town have the biggest houses on the lake, drive the nicest cares and employ 20+ ppl each.

But who wants to be the assistant? Why not be the boss - the guy cutting. :cool:

OP - I've heard that alot of salary surveys report the income of those who are employed. So this may be more accurate for people working for chains or in academics. I think the ADA average was ~200k for owners of general dental practices.

I can do the cutting...Im a jack(ass) of all trades

Some numbers are off a little bit with dentist but that is also factoring in associates and what now who make 100-150k and some as low as 60k-80k..

but with the anesthesiologist salary that is extremely low..

There starting salary is probably around 300k..
i seriously doubt the median is 160k.. even the anesthesia teachers make 200k+

We have a dental anasthesiologist that comes once a month to the dental office where I work at. He usually puts little children under anesthesia and kids with special needs. He mostly works at a private office though. He has a DDS and an MD license. I talked to him one time about how much money he makes and he said that usually he makes around 60-80k a month net income. I'm not kidding! He is a well known dental anasthesiologist that also gets invited to speak at various events.

We have a dental anasthesiologist that comes once a month to the dental office where I work at. He usually puts little children under anesthesia and kids with special needs. He mostly works at a private office though. He has a DDS and an MD license. I talked to him one time about how much money he makes and he said that usually he makes around 60-80k a month net income. I'm not kidding! He is a well known dental anasthesiologist that also gets invited to speak at various events.

Good times! :eek: :thumbup:

Northwest Wisconsin. Most dentists are hush hush around here but its pretty obvious they make bank when the three dentist in town have the biggest houses on the lake, drive the nicest cares and employ 20+ ppl each.

...Don't give away your honey pot to thousands of future dentists...

I think it's wise to find the lowest reported average and budget accordingly. That will lower the risk of living outside your means. The other way around is dangerous.

This is probably why. o_O

3:3000 dentist to population is not a good ratio so at an average of 1000 POSSIBLE patients a piece I doubt that is the reason they make bank.

3:3000 dentist to population is not a good ratio so at an average of 1000 POSSIBLE patients a piece I doubt that is the reason they make bank.

And how do these guys employ 20+ people each if they only have 1000 patients?

Remember people can move from town to town. They may be pulling patients from surrounding areas and some have a satellite office or two. The offices are probably billing the same as someone in New York but cost of living and overhead is significantly less. A dentist making 400K gross here lives like a king while that same salary is just upper middle class (maybe) in New York. It doesn't take enormous amounts of cash to live well here, but most patients have lots of cash because they commute and work in the cities and then live in these smaller towns. Within a 30 mile radius there is probably 17k people and 11-12 dentist (60% probably over 50). I have always heard it take 2000 patients to keep a dentist busy full-time. Dentistry is a service profession and if they patients don't like your staff or are waiting too long, they are going to jump ship regardless if the work is flawless, they have no idea anyways. I think most patients around here will pay for a pleasant pain-free experience any day of the week rather than price and regretting it later.

http://www.podollorthodontics.com/locations.html This is the orthodontist who shares buildings with the other dentists

What I think is interesting is that landscapers around here probably make more than anyone lol.

Last edited:
I know more dentists who make over a million than make in that range....I think that salary is the BARE minimum without any extras. I never refer to those salary sites...