Interesting Case (...to me anyway)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twoliter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trauma 1 (emergent) paged out for 69 yo M with stab wound to LUQ, ETA from OSH ~45 minutes. Word from ED RN getting report said patient was hypotensive despite 3L crystalloid bolus, OSH ED RNs reportedly said they didn't expect the patient to make it here. (That was basically all the info I had at the time. I really wondered why the original ED didn't have a general surgeon that could do an ex-lap, but what do I know?)
We (my residents and I) are in the OR, patient rolls in, hypotensive (SBP in the 60s), 2 PIVs (16g, 18g), fluids hanging. RSI, intubate, RN preps chest and abdomen. I notice patient is still hypotensive, except now I notice he's bradycardic in the 30s (EKG and pulse ox weren't picking up real well initially, movement etc.). (Then the resident tells me he was like this as soon as he arrived to our ED.) I give 25 mg ephedrine (first thing I saw) - no response. Resident 1 places RIJ CVL, resident 2 places arterial line. Epi was on the cart, so I start giving 100-200 mcg at a time. Improvement in BP, but no change in HR. EKG looked like junctional bradycardia. We start suspecting BB overdose. Glucagon 4 mg IV - nothing. Continue epi boluses, helps with BP. ABG pretty good (roughly 7.36, 39, 260, 21, -4, Hb 9.5 after half unit pRBCs in, K+ 4.0, iCa++ WNL). Surgery resident later gets med list from our EMR and says patient wasn't on BB but was on CCB, so CaCl given. Otherwise, it's a pretty similar treatment from what I read. I started to doubt medication overdose as a cause, but didn't have anything better except possibly RCA territory ischemia leading to SA node dysfunction. I was also thinking, how odd would it be for a guy to be stabbed and OD on cardiac meds at the same time (I was out of the loop again, because basically everyone else knew the knife wound was self-inflicted, so he very well could have OD'd). We were able to keep the BP up with epi infusion. Surgeon found no bleeding, so closed up. Once drapes down we transcutaneously paced. BP better, but still requiring epi. Another med list showed he was on Coreg, diltiazem, and amlodipine, so likely OD'd on all those. Cardiology consulted, to cath lab for transvenous pacers. Started on glucagon and insulin infusions in ICU. Extubated, stable, off infusions, and intrinsic SR the next morning.

TL; DR:
Old guy stabbed himself and OD'd on BBs and CCBs. Ended up with no surgical emergency (no internal damage), only a medical emergency. One I haven't seen before. Required epinephrine, infusion, pacing (transcutaneous then transvenous), glucagon bolus and infusion, and high dose insulin infusion. Better the next day.

Feel free to slam my management. I won't be (too) offended.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting case. I guess the only thing that I would say that is that when I read LUQ stabbing and read that he was hypotensive "despite 3L crystalloid bolus" my # 1, 2, and 3 diagnosis was that something was bleeding (major vessel, spleen, etc). I would have asked the OSH why the hell they were giving him crystalloid and not blood, and the moment he arrived to me I would have started slamming blood into him immediately. Now obviously we later find out his Hb was 9 and nothing was bleeding internally, but in the moment of "common things being common" I would have suspected hemorrhage until proven otherwise (and then possibly ischemia/hypoperfusion causing a junctional rhythm or sinus node dysfunction).

Thanks for sharing.

Your management was OK but maybe a CT scan of the abdomen and chest would have allowed to R/O acute intra abdominal bleeding and allowed you to focus on fixing the medical emergency rather than going straight to the OR with this unstable patient.
An exlap could have been done later after the pacer was placed to R/O intestinal injury.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting case. I guess the only thing that I would say that is that when I read LUQ stabbing and read that he was hypotensive "despite 3L crystalloid bolus" my # 1, 2, and 3 diagnosis was that something was bleeding (major vessel, spleen, etc). I would have asked the OSH why the hell they were giving him crystalloid and not blood, and the moment he arrived to me I would have started slamming blood into him immediately. Now obviously we later find out his Hb was 9 and nothing was bleeding internally, but in the moment of "common things being common" I would have suspected hemorrhage until proven otherwise (and then possibly ischemia/hypoperfusion causing a junctional rhythm or sinus node dysfunction).

Thanks for sharing.

True to all that. We did start giving blood as soon as it was in the room. Got an ABG when most of the first unit was in and stopped after we saw Hb was >9 which was about the same time the surgeon said he didn't see any obvious bleeding. Of course, I wasn't the accepting physician, so my info from the OSH was what was passed on to me. Still interesting, nonetheless.

Your management was OK but maybe a CT scan of the abdomen and chest would have allowed to R/O acute intra abdominal bleeding and allowed you to focus on fixing the medical emergency rather than going straight to the OR with this unstable patient.
An exlap could have been done later after the pacer was placed to R/O intestinal injury.

I would have loved to have gotten a CT first, after the fact. But a hemodynamically unstable patient not responding to fluid boluses with a stab wound to the LUQ = rush to the OR. I don't fault them for that. Even with a HR of 35-45.

Reactions: 1 user
Traumas are always a mess and unpredictable. Good thinking on medication overdose and treatment with glucagon, even though it didn't do squat.

Medication overdose is usually the last thing i am thinking about in a penetrating trauma patient who is hypotensive. I'm usually too busy giving blood products.

There's some animal studies showing that intralipid has some utility in verapamil and propranolol OD's. Possibly something to consider if this guy was crunking hard before the pacer was jamming

1. Cave G, Harvey MG, Castle CD. The role of fat emulsion therapy in a rodent model of propranolol toxicity: a preliminary study. J Med Toxicol. 2006 Mar. 2(1):4-7. [Medline].

2. Bania TC, Chu J, Perez E, Su M, Hahn IH. Hemodynamic effects of intravenous fat emulsion in an animal model of severe verapamil toxicity resuscitated with atropine, calcium, and saline. Acad Emerg Med. 2007 Feb. 14(2):105-11. [Medline].

Also, did you guys give atropine / charcoal/ lavage? Atropine won't necessarily reverse the BB OD but it will keep any other vagal responses from making the bradycardia worse. Other agents to be considered if the epi wan't working on its own are dopamine, milrinone+norepi, dobutamine+norepi...

Last edited:
Yea, amazing what HPI can do. History and physical go a long way, and can limit the amount of labs and tests that need to be performed.

But as someone earlier stated, without the details of drug overdose and self-inflicted stab wound, I would have NO suspicion for BB overdose. I was reading your case, and thinking ok, knife wound, bleeding... give blood. Then all of a sudden BB overdose is mentioned and I'm thinking, WTF is this guy talking about!? haha

I would have loved to have gotten a CT first, after the fact. But a hemodynamically unstable patient not responding to fluid boluses with a stab wound to the LUQ = rush to the OR. I don't fault them for that. Even with a HR of 35-45.
You would think the original ER would have done at least some labs and maybe a bed side ultrasound of the abdomen.

Do you guys have problem with transfusing too much blood products in major trauma?

I had this GSW to chest in a 19 yo healthy guy. Got chest tube in ed for hemothorax. FAST exam shows blood in pericardium. X-ray shows bullet in heart. Got access, lined up, intubated in ED. Rushed to my OR with massive transfusion started. I continued the massive transfusion protocol. CV surgeon did midline thoracotomy, sutured hole in the guy's right atrium. BP's been stable entire time, but I'm giving blood and ffp cause dude got a f*cking bullet in his heart.

Once everything calmed down, i checked an abg and his Hb is 11. This is after about 8 prbc, 8ffp, 1 plt.

He gets extubated pod1, walking around with a Hb 14.

Looking back, obviously he was over transfuses. But in the moment, when he could potentially bleed out any moment, I did not want to slow down the transfusion until the holes in his cardiovascular system are patched.

Risk vs. benefits... You risk TRALI/TACO/infection vs hypotension/hypoperfusion.

You might have overtransfused, but at the same time his Hgb might have been much worse without that blood. Perhaps the only reason his vitals were stable the whole time was because you were giving what he was losing. I dunno though, don't have all the info you had and I wasn't there... so it's hard to second guess your decision.

Kind of reminds me about the whole debate on pre-op labs/tests. ASA3/4 patients with cardiopulmonary disease. What do you get on them? Is it going to change your management? Are you going to cath/stent these people before a surgery? Does it make a difference? That was easily the most frustrating part of the oral exam was the pre-op session.

You get every test on the patient with severe "stable" disease and it either comes back normal or abnormal. Everything normal, you take them to OR but regret wasting time and money (surgeon's rolling eyes for delaying the case). Everything abnormal, then what do you do? Stent/cath change anything? Probably not. You just "optimize" them(?). Tell them, "hey your heart sucks and you might die" and hope they still sign the form for the semi-elective procedure? Regrdless of what you do on the oral exam, you take them to the OR and they code anyways...

But speaking of TACO, it's almost dinner time...

Do you guys have problem with transfusing too much blood products in major trauma?

I had this GSW to chest in a 19 yo healthy guy. Got chest tube in ed for hemothorax. FAST exam shows blood in pericardium. X-ray shows bullet in heart. Got access, lined up, intubated in ED. Rushed to my OR with massive transfusion started. I continued the massive transfusion protocol. CV surgeon did midline thoracotomy, sutured hole in the guy's right atrium. BP's been stable entire time, but I'm giving blood and ffp cause dude got a f*cking bullet in his heart.

Once everything calmed down, i checked an abg and his Hb is 11. This is after about 8 prbc, 8ffp, 1 plt.

He gets extubated pod1, walking around with a Hb 14.

Looking back, obviously he was over transfuses. But in the moment, when he could potentially bleed out any moment, I did not want to slow down the transfusion until the holes in his cardiovascular system are patched.

Transfusing during trauma versus transfusing during an elective case is completely different. All the "rules" about not transfusing until the Hb < 7 are out the window and are completely inapplicable. The risks of undertransfusing a patient with a major trauma are FAR greater than the risks of overtransfusing a patient.

You did the right thing.

Trauma 1 (emergent) paged out for 69 yo M with stab wound to LUQ, ETA from OSH ~45 minutes. Word from ED RN getting report said patient was hypotensive despite 3L crystalloid bolus, OSH ED RNs reportedly said they didn't expect the patient to make it here. (That was basically all the info I had at the time. I really wondered why the original ED didn't have a general surgeon that could do an ex-lap, but what do I know?)
We (my residents and I) are in the OR, patient rolls in, hypotensive (SBP in the 60s), 2 PIVs (16g, 18g), fluids hanging. RSI, intubate, RN preps chest and abdomen. I notice patient is still hypotensive, except now I notice he's bradycardic in the 30s (EKG and pulse ox weren't picking up real well initially, movement etc.). (Then the resident tells me he was like this as soon as he arrived to our ED.) I give 25 mg ephedrine (first thing I saw) - no response. Resident 1 places RIJ CVL, resident 2 places arterial line. Epi was on the cart, so I start giving 100-200 mcg at a time. Improvement in BP, but no change in HR. EKG looked like junctional bradycardia. We start suspecting BB overdose. Glucagon 4 mg IV - nothing. Continue epi boluses, helps with BP. ABG pretty good (roughly 7.36, 39, 260, 21, -4, Hb 9.5 after half unit pRBCs in, K+ 4.0, iCa++ WNL). Surgery resident later gets med list from our EMR and says patient wasn't on BB but was on CCB, so CaCl given. Otherwise, it's a pretty similar treatment from what I read. I started to doubt medication overdose as a cause, but didn't have anything better except possibly RCA territory ischemia leading to SA node dysfunction. I was also thinking, how odd would it be for a guy to be stabbed and OD on cardiac meds at the same time (I was out of the loop again, because basically everyone else knew the knife wound was self-inflicted, so he very well could have OD'd). We were able to keep the BP up with epi infusion. Surgeon found no bleeding, so closed up. Once drapes down we transcutaneously paced. BP better, but still requiring epi. Another med list showed he was on Coreg, diltiazem, and amlodipine, so likely OD'd on all those. Cardiology consulted, to cath lab for transvenous pacers. Started on glucagon and insulin infusions in ICU. Extubated, stable, off infusions, and intrinsic SR the next morning.

TL; DR:
Old guy stabbed himself and OD'd on BBs and CCBs. Ended up with no surgical emergency (no internal damage), only a medical emergency. One I haven't seen before. Required epinephrine, infusion, pacing (transcutaneous then transvenous), glucagon bolus and infusion, and high dose insulin infusion. Better the next day.

Feel free to slam my management. I won't be (too) offended.
That was pretty good.

Glucagon in the OR? It would take over an hour for me to get at my hospital.

Why the central line?

Members don't see this ad :)
That was pretty good.

Why the central line?

Mostly for the suspected need for pressors.

We (surprisingly to me) had glucagon in the Pyxis (located near OR front desk, not actually in the OR).

That was pretty good.

Why the central line?

During trauma resuscitations I always place a central line (assuming its a "real" trauma)...usually an 8 or 9 Fr introducer. Though you can always hook a Belmont/Level 1 up to a good PIV, having a central line just makes me feel a little more at ease since you're putting so much volume through the line so rapidly. Plus, following CVP, having a port available to push meds, and have extra access points are always welcome during these cases.

Additionally, if you're like some of the people doing cardiac on this message board, it only takes 45 seconds to place a central line, PIV, and arterial line anyway ;)

Is anyone giving lipid emulsion for these overdoses? I haven't had one of these since a few case reports have come out, and at the time, glucagon, insulin, Ca, and multiple pressors were typical management strategies.

During trauma resuscitations I always place a central line (assuming its a "real" trauma)...usually an 8 or 9 Fr introducer. Though you can always hook a Belmont/Level 1 up to a good PIV, having a central line just makes me feel a little more at ease since you're putting so much volume through the line so rapidly. Plus, following CVP, having a port available to push meds, and have extra access points are always welcome during these cases.

Additionally, if you're like some of the people doing cardiac on this message board, it only takes 45 seconds to place a central line, PIV, and arterial line anyway ;)
I have always seen central lines as low priorities during emergencies if I have good peripheral IVs.

I might have put it at the end, when things are more calm.

I have always seen central lines as low priorities during emergencies if I have good peripheral IVs.

I might have put it at the end, when things are more calm.

I use my judgment as to when to put it in. Obviously it isn't my #1 priority but I don't think I've ever done a real trauma resuscitation without obtaining central access at some point.

TL; DR:
Old guy stabbed himself and OD'd on BBs and CCBs. Ended up with no surgical emergency (no internal damage), only a medical emergency. One I haven't seen before. Required epinephrine, infusion, pacing (transcutaneous then transvenous), glucagon bolus and infusion, and high dose insulin infusion.

Calcium

We gave calcium once we figured out he was on a CCB at home. His Ca++ was normal on ABG, so we didn't have a reason to give it otherwise. They may have continued Calcium in the ICU, not sure.

Unless you're saying give Calcium for BB toxicity. That makes sense, too. Either way, he ended up getting it.

Had a case in ICU fellowship not too dissimilar.

Pt came in in low-output shock, cold, clammy, BP 60s/30s, HR 30s-40s. Can't remember the details of the negative workup

Long story short the pt had been super sweaty and vasodilated from some other issue (UTI or similar) and had absorbed a TON of clonidine from his/her clonidine patch.

Epi gtt, calcium, a 24hr stay in ICU, all was better

Is anyone giving lipid emulsion for these overdoses? I haven't had one of these since a few case reports have come out, and at the time, glucagon, insulin, Ca, and multiple pressors were typical management strategies.
Our toxicologists use LipidRescue.org for reference and Drugbank.ca for seeing if the LogP is > 2.