Interesting electives as a resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsbqb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of ideas for my elective month.

Has anyone done anything wild/crazy/really interesting :) ?

Members don't see this ad.

10 years ago, I did a month of CAM ("Complimentary and Alternative Medicine") when I was at Duke. What that meant was that it was NOT a crunchy, homeopathic, pseudomedical thing, but, really, it got looked at closely. Unlike a lot of other CAM, it really was "complimentary and alternative" - not just "alternative", and throwing out the "complimentary".

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Guatemala and worked in this clinic:

http://www.hospitalitoatitlan.org/

It was great.

My other elective was to UCI to do US with Christian Fox. At the time there wasn't much more than FAST going on in my program. I knew that when I ranked the program but figured I could make up for it with an elective, which was true, and every thing else about the program was pretty darn good. Since then the program has dramatically strengthened its US, like most places.

If you want really wild you can go volunteer at the regional hospital in Berbera somaliland. I'm sure they would love to have someone come train their ems

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did a 'pathology' elective as an intern and it was great seeing autopsies and going to the scenes of unnatural deaths. It was a really cool month. Also an 'away rotation' at a british american clinic in russia. it was like a month vacation in st. petersburg. so good.

totally, it's way too expensive! I did this combined course, the WFR and WUMP then went to the WMS conference in hawaii. it's a first response course then an "upgrade" course. both are real chill and easy. held at an awesome lodge in drigss, ID, right over the WY border near yellowstone so while you're there take advantage of that too. no tv, cell, and barely internet so unplug and enjoy!
the dates spilled into the next month so without having to fly back/forth I mixed it in with my tox month
approach your director ahead of time with a clear cut game plan. mixing the lighter months isn't a big deal
by the way, it wasn't covered by the residency but you can write it off your taxes

Like, "Black Hawk Down" Somaliland? Like, white guy, dead guy, Somaliland? Honest here.

Well. Yes and no. Wikipedia somaliland and Somalia. I traveled overland from Ethiopia to Berbera Somaliland a few years back. Did not get abducted by pirates. Your mileage may vary

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
During residency having an elective month that is like a vacation sounds awesome. Sometimes it is truly needed.

As an attending now, I think I would have been better served with a month learning some more optho, rads or something useful to my daily practice.

For what it's worth, I did a month of medical simulation which I thought was great.

Reactions: 1 user