Interesting email from program director...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sea_Bass

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post.

I know this topic has been discussed before (sort of--mods please delete if I didn't search hard enough for a past thread) but I'm wondering what people think of the email I received the other day...

I got an email from the program director of a program with which I have very strong ties (did not rotate or go to school there, but suffice to say I'm strongly connected). He basically said, "After meeting with our committee, we have ranked you in our top 13. Seeing as how we only have 13 spots, if you rank us #1, you will definitely match with us."

So a few things come to mind here:

1) This appears to be a flagrant match violation, and he put it in writing no less.

2) That not withstanding, this is a program I'd love to match at, but it is not my #1 choice. It's my #3 tops. So yeah, I have no idea how to respond. It puts me in an awkward spot. I don't want to say anything to jeopardize my potential top 13 ranking. But I don't want to lie and say I'm ranking them #1 either. How should I respond?

3) How much should I trust it? It seems like everyone has a story of being getting a handshake and being told "Rank us highly! We'd love to have you!" This email seems different though. It is a concrete, black and white statement. I don't know of anyone who's received something like this in writing before. Anyone?

4) In my understanding of how the match algorithm works, it makes no difference whether I rank this program #1 or #100. If I want to rank "reach" programs ahead of it, I can and I won't be penalized for it. So if this PD is being honest (a big assumption, I know), I have essentially been guaranteed a match, regardless of where I rank his program. Hell, I could rank them dead last and I'll still be sure to match there (assuming I don't match at a program ranked higher on my list). So if he's being honest, shouldn't I be celebrating now? Doesn't it mean I've essentially matched?

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
as far as I understand it, any party can volunteer information. They have done that by telling you they have ranked you to match similar to thank you letters we all send to programs stating that they are number one on our list. Regardless of this email, you should rank how you feel. If you don't match at your superior ranks, you will match here. I would thank them for their email and tell them that you loved their program and would appreciate the privilege of matching there.

Reactions: 1 user
1) This appears to be a flagrant match violation, and he put it in writing no less.
It is nothing of the sort

2) That not withstanding, this is a program I'd love to match at, but it is not my #1 choice. It's my #3 tops. So yeah, I have no idea how to respond. It puts me in an awkward spot. I don't want to say anything to jeopardize my potential top 13 ranking. But I don't want to lie and say I'm ranking them #1 either. How should I respond?
I would send an email that said the following:
" "

3) How much should I trust it?
Its not a program you love. Why do you even care?

4) In my understanding of how the match algorithm works, it makes no difference whether I rank this program #1 or #100. If I want to rank "reach" programs ahead of it, I can and I won't be penalized for it. So if this PD is being honest (a big assumption, I know), I have essentially been guaranteed a match, regardless of where I rank his program. Hell, I could rank them dead last and I'll still be sure to match there (assuming I don't match at a program ranked higher on my list). So if he's being honest, shouldn't I be celebrating now? Doesn't it mean I've essentially matched?
At least you seem to understand how the algorithm works.

Reactions: 3 users
Just tell them they are in your top 13 as well :)...

But seriously, it will be tough to answer without having them think you lied to them when you ultimately match elsewhere. And it's best not to burn bridges. That's the problem with games like this. If it was your first choice you'd be set, able to answer in turn, but since it's not, it puts you in a funny spot.

Reactions: 1 users
He basically said, "After meeting with our committee, we have ranked you in our top 13. Seeing as how we only have 13 spots, if you rank us #1, you will definitely match with us."

So a few things come to mind here:

This is not a match violation because the statement does not indicate that your ranking is contingent upon you ranking them #1. He said that your definite matching is contingent upon you ranking them #1, which is a logical conclusion from his volunteered information that you will be ranked within their number of available positions. You should feel no obligation to respond.

Reactions: 1 user
This is not a match violation because the statement does not indicate that your ranking is contingent upon you ranking them #1. He said that your definite matching is contingent upon you ranking them #1, which is a logical conclusion from his volunteered information that you will be ranked within their number of available positions. You should feel no obligation to respond.

I feel dumb for not knowing this, but now I do. Thank you for clarifying.

Thanks, also, for everyone else's input.

"Dear Dr Program Director,

Thank you very much! I would be thrilled to train at your program. I loved X, Y, and Z about it.

Signed,
Applicant"
^this

What you shouldn't do is start a thread on a public forum with so much detail about a very specific niche situation that the pd could easily identify you as both not wanting them and thinking they are unethically violating rules ;)

Reactions: 3 users