Interesting Topics to Present On?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkain08

jkain
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm a senior in undergrad and am in the process of interviewing at different optometry schools. I have a Senior Seminar project coming up where I need to come up with a topic in my field of interest and give a 30 minute presentation on it.

I'm asking all my fellow optometry peers for help. Do any of you know of some interesting topics I can work with? Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

I'm a senior in undergrad and am in the process of interviewing at different optometry schools. I have a Senior Seminar project coming up where I need to come up with a topic in my field of interest and give a 30 minute presentation on it.

I'm asking all my fellow optometry peers for help. Do any of you know of some interesting topics I can work with? Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Perhaps you could do a seminar on the state of the optometric profession. (I'm not kidding here, it would serve any prospective OD applicant well to do so and you might be surprised what you find out.) Read through some of the threads on this forum and you could get some starting points.

Perhaps you could do a seminar on the state of the optometric profession. (I'm not kidding here, it would serve any prospective OD applicant well to do so and you might be surprised what you find out.) Read through some of the threads on this forum and you could get some starting points.

I understand what you are saying, and I have looked into it sufficiently. I just believe they are looking for something a bit more "science-oriented" for the seminar. Experimentation, new ideas, and so on..

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand what you are saying, and I have looked into it sufficiently. I just believe they are looking for something a bit more "science-oriented" for the seminar. Experimentation, new ideas, and so on..

Understandable. Too bad, it might have made for an interesting seminar!

Hmm, maybe something to do with Vision Therapy?

Is Vision Therapy even scientifically proven?

Is Vision Therapy even scientifically proven?

I dont think so, but there is tons of research on it both clinical and non clinical (maybe OP can look into current ones). I just assumed that if the OP was here, and wanted something science oriented, talking about VT might be an interesting given its controversy.

I dont think so, but there is tons of research on it both clinical and non clinical (maybe OP can look into current ones). I just assumed that if the OP was here, and wanted something science oriented, talking about VT might be an interesting given its controversy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it and see what I can gather from it.

I would do something that has to do with refraction and the patient's options:

Spectacles
Hard GP lenses, including scleral lenses and their comeback
Soft lenses
CRT lenses
Lasik (NOT Lasix!)/ PRK

You can talk about who would benefit from each, the problems/disadvantages of each, and procedures, materials, cost, etc. I think this topic is very easy to relate to and a big part of Optometry (whether or not we like it..)