Interesting way to handle CVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaBusqueda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or brought by EMS with CVA. Onset this AM (several hr ago)Pt presents to usual clinic for sick visit. Found on exam there to have unilateral extremity weakness and several risk factors for CVA.
This was told to family, the fact that the pt had new Ext weakness, and the plan was put in place to "get some scans done"...arranged for outpatient scan (ct).

And we are so worried about times and TPA and such...it was as easy as DC and follow up all along!!! [sarcasm]

Members don't see this ad.

Or brought by EMS with CVA. Onset this AM (several hr ago)Pt presents to usual clinic for sick visit. Found on exam there to have unilateral extremity weakness and several risk factors for CVA.
This was told to family, the fact that the pt had new Ext weakness, and the plan was put in place to "get some scans done"...arranged for outpatient scan (ct).

And we are so worried about times and TPA and such...it was as easy as DC and follow up all along!!! [sarcasm]

And the kicker...this plan probably has the same efficacy of TPA with a far better safety profile.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. How big of a deal is it, really? This is all liability driven. Since 90% (made that up, probably higher in my experience) of strokes don't meet TPA criteria, and 90% of those who get TPA get no benefit from it, makes you wonder why we're spending all this money on it instead of something else.

Exactly. How big of a deal is it, really? This is all liability driven. Since 90% (made that up, probably higher in my experience) of strokes don't meet TPA criteria, and 90% of those who get TPA get no benefit from it, makes you wonder why we're spending all this money on it instead of something else.

We spend the money because of the money. Lysed stroke care reimburses better than unlysed stroke care, and we'll continue to be pushed to provide it until it doesn't.

[edit - I suspect your question was rhetorical, and you already knew the answer]

Last edited:
Let's not forget. No amount of stroke "CARE" is reimbursed...meeting meaningless and possible hazardous (door to needle time) metrics in a true clipboard nurse's wet dream of a metric bundle gets the reimbursement ;)

Let's not forget. No amount of stroke "CARE" is reimbursed...meeting meaningless and possible hazardous (door to needle time) metrics in a true clipboard nurse's wet dream of a metric bundle gets the reimbursement ;)

I love this statement. Gotta put those widgets in boxes.