Interesting, Why choose DO over MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENTSteven

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting, Why do you choose DO over MD?

What aspect of the job is more appealing over MD?

Members don't see this ad.

My choice wasn't based on any really compelling reasons. I shadowed a physician (cardiologist) in college and I thought she was the best physician I had ever met (and happened to be a DO--the first time I had ever heard of osteopathic medicine). She told me about osteopathic medicine and I checked it out while applying to schools.

When it came down to making a decision between MD and DO, the reason I decided on AZCOM was that I felt most comfortable there. I liked the environment, curriculum, faculty and the students. I didn't really know much about the DO "stigma" some people talked about.

The option of having an additional tool for my patients (even if I didn't use it--I would know a lot about it) and the esteem I had for my mentor were underlying motives--but my main motivation was that I liked the school. Like I said, it was nothing too compelling. Hopefully I made the right choice!

I recommend that you do a search. There are already threads on this, including a current (or nearly current) one.

Basically, there are lots of reasons: some people prefer the philosophy, others want to learn OMT, some have trouble getting into allopathic schools.

Philosophy, Preference, Impression

or what my friends say is simply that:

A DO can DO everything, an MD can not. They are not qualified to utilize manipulative therapy. A DO can DO everything an MD can.

Still its preference that rules out. I like the DO philosophy and approach. Interesting article in JAOA this month about how MD's and DO's differ in approach to patients.

Also there is a post, about a week old that explains exactly what being a DO meand and what OMT are. I think it is in the pre-osteo board. I suggest checking that out.