Intern Dog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to care for a dog during a Pediatrics Intern Year? I'd especially like to hear from anyone who is currently doing Internship under the new work hours. I've wanted a dog for a very long time, and it seems like 4th year is the only time for awhile that I'll have the time to train one properly. Doggy daycare and dog walking services could be in the budget if necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

Im doing internship before anesthesiology, so not exactly the circumstances you're talking about. I got a dog after interviews fourth year. I always had roomates with dogs, and I missed having a pup around. I had plenty of time fourth year to train him and housebreak. Being 1ish rotation in, I really doubt I would have that kind of time now. Also, you need to have some kind of help on days that you'll be leaving them alone for a long shift. 12-14 hours is way too long to leave a dog without going out. I'm lucky, in that I have friends close by that have been able to take them out. If you can get some help, then it's doable.

I got 2 golden retrievers during graduate school training. They are my children and bring me SO MUCH joy - waggy tails are the best to come home to at the end of a very long day. and excellent running companions.
That being said - your days will be long (like 6 days of ~15hrs/day in a row). If you have a situation where you can have a doggie door so that they can go out when needed, or if you have friends who can let it out and walk it, or if you have the $$ to pay a service for walking or doggie day care - it's definitatly doable. Also take into account the cost of vets, food, toys, grooming, etc on a resident's salary - again possible, just be sure you've considered it.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

OH also - take into account where you want to go for internship/residency, and the size of dog you want. Traveling 20hrs across country in a honda civic w/ two goldens was quite an adventure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with not getting a dog unless you live with other people who can share the responsibility of caring for it. Intern year is enough work, stress, and responsibility as it is. Add to that a social living creature that needs regular provisions made for its care and well-being while you're out working 80 hour weeks, and you're making an already difficult situation worse. Also, last minute things come up sometimes that are beyond your control, from the dog needing an emergency vet visit to you being called in for a sick coworker at the last minute, and what do you do then? As much as I love dogs and wish I could have one, I'm very grateful not to have one more major stressor on my plate right now.

Don't do it. Not fair to the dog...at all.

If you do it anyway, please adopt.
this

Plus, if you still feel you must, don't get a dog that needs a lot of attention. Getting a lab or a golden retriever would be torture on the dog.

I'm a peds resident and plan to get a puppy this winter... My husband will help me take care of it. You can always get a dog, you just need to get one that suits your lifestyle. Don't let anyone convince you that ALL dogs need a yard and ALL dogs need you to be a stay at home whatever, that's not true.

I think it's all about choosing the right dog. Get a puppy now, and you'll likely be overwhelmed even w 6mo of housebreaking/training under your belt. If you get a dog that is 2-3 yrs old, medium energy, and happy-go-lucky, then you'll be all set.

I am doing a prelim yr in medicine and have an American Bulldog (80 lbs of smoosh and love). He's 7yr and I've had him since he was a puppy, so he's used to the routine of long days. I exercise him a LOT when I am around, so he generally sleeps when I'm not. Also, I have a dog walker that comes EVERY DAY that I work (floors or ICU, not electives), even on the shorter days (10 hrs). It's just a pee break not a long walk so it's cheaper ($11/walk). But they send a pic/text every day.

Having an unconditional wiggle-butt greeting every single day not matter what is invaluable in such a high stress job. Yes, it could end up a disservice to the dog if you do it the wrong way (choosing a high energy or nervous dog or a puppy), but the situation has potential, esp since you are clearly willing to try dog walker/daycare. Even one day of daycare during the week + walker on the others could be great. It will also help to practice gradually leaving the dog for longer periods of time before inter year actually begins, so that it will not be a total shock. IMHO, definitely a shelter dog is the way to go, but please make sure you choose a shelter that does temperament testing, so that you know what you are getting. (Ie, good w kids if you plan to have kids in the future, energy requirements, etc).

Good luck and feel free to PM me w questions, although I'm on the site intermittently.

Remembering my intern year, heck, even my residency years; and having lived with and loved dogs for years, please don't do this to a loving animal. They don't deserve it. Wait until you can devote as much time to it as it will devote to you.

Please wait. You will have the dog for 12-15 yrs. Wait one more yr.

Update on my dog intern year
I've had my great dane since february. I got him as a rescue at about 2 years old. It's been tough, but i've managed to do what I consider a good job raising him. I have friends that are grad students that come and play with him when im working late. There is a pet sitting service here i use 3 days a week. I walk/jog him at least an hour a day, no excuses.
Would things be easier without him? Yes and no. While i would have more time for activities outside the hospital, the comfort and companionship he brings me more than makes up for that. Would I like to have more time with him? Absolutely. I'd love to spend all day playing in the dog park if i could. But with the right resources around, having a dog during residency can be a much bigger blessing than a burden.

thanks for updating. I already have the two buggers, but have been stressed out about how to make it work when the time comes. Glad you adopted a big lovebug such as a great dane. A wagging tail at the end of the day sure makes life good.