Intern Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adrafinil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a P2. In the summer between P1 and P2 year, I noticed that only a small percent of my classmates were able to secure summer internships. I think most people tried, but there were just not enough open spots. I'm going to say that about 25% of the class worked over the summer in a pharmacy. Is this number really low? I am hoping this doesn't represent what we should be expecting after graduation.

I was a bit disheartened to hear that some of my classmates were working at non-pharmacy jobs instead. I am talking about places like Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, and Victoria's Secret.

I would be interested to hear what the intern market is like in other areas.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is off topic but did you know pharmacy is saturated before you applied?

Pharmacy schools are pushing IPPE during the summer because they can't find sites during the fall and spring. Therefore, there are fewer paid positions during the summer. Why pay for interns when you can get them for free?

"I was a bit disheartened to hear that some of my classmates were working at non-pharmacy jobs instead. I am talking about places like Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, and Victoria's Secret."

Uh that's a sign to get out now! If there aren't any intern positions why do you think there will be pharmacist positions?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I was vaguely aware things are not as good as 10 years ago, but I did not truly understand how bad it is getting.

When I was a pharmacy student in 2005 I literally walked into 3 pharmacies and asked to work there as an intern and all 3 of them said yes. Two of them were CVS and 1 was a Walgreens. I immediately started interning after my first year in pharmacy school. You just literally walk into the pharmacy and they hire you.

IMO, any pharmacy nearby your school is an absolute no-go in my books. Look at least 15-30 miles away and start searching there. The way I see it, the farther away you are from pharmacy schools, the higher your chance at landing an intern position. I applied at a pharmacy that is around 30-35 miles away from my school and I got hired immediately. Another student from a different school came by a week after I started working and asked for a position. She found success just a mile away from my pharmacy.

Lastly, you're gonna need luck and a lot of it. She and I were both fortunate enough to be at the right place at the right time.

I am currently a P2. In the summer between P1 and P2 year, I noticed that only a small percent of my classmates were able to secure summer internships. I think most people tried, but there were just not enough open spots. I'm going to say that about 25% of the class worked over the summer in a pharmacy. Is this number really low? I am hoping this doesn't represent what we should be expecting after graduation.

I was a bit disheartened to hear that some of my classmates were working at non-pharmacy jobs instead. I am talking about places like Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, and Victoria's Secret.

I would be interested to hear what the intern market is like in other areas.

To understand this topic more, you have to understand the process and whys behind this is. So yes, stores do not need as many interns as previously, because there is less of a pharmacist need.

However, I suspect the reason for you is because you are applying in the summer. A lot of students apply for pharmacy jobs in the summer. That is generally the worst time to apply because that is when everybody else is applying. It is also the worst time because companies do not want students who will only work at CVS for a month or two and then leave.

I can not speak for other chains, but for CVS, this is what the company is looking for.

An intern will become a future pharmacist (we aim for 100 percent job offer rates) for the company. As a pharmacist, they will be taking a "leadership" role when they graduate in a few years. Once we hire a pharmacist, it is very hard for us to fire them. So, the company want to be selective and pick only the best because if we have one bad class (usually 5-6 interns per districts), it can destroy 6 stores or 1/3 to 1/4th of a district in the future.

With that in mind, interns are also expensive. They cost more than a tech but they might or might not do more. For example, a p1 gets paid 20 percent more than a tech but do not have the knowledge or skill to do anything more than a tech. As the intern advances, they can do more following the intern program but they also get compensated more. A p4 gets paid equal to two and a half tech... They can counsel, take on leadership roles, and do compounding in NY.

A p4 that does all of that is worth a lot to the company and is a good return on investment. He will graduate and become a good pharmacist (not as in knowledge but somebody who will bring in sales, and bring in good numbers), and ideally do more later as a pharmacy manager.

A bad p4, or a good p4 who does not commit to the company obviously is a bad return on investment... if you factor in payroll (they are equal to two tech hours), time that the pharmacist commits to teaching them, and other things that the company spend to support them (intern coordinators, recruiters, testing preps, etc),

so with all of that said, this is what CVS is looking for in it's intern. They want to look for an intern who can show commitment, leadership skills, and customer service skills. Obviously we want our interns to be good in school too, but if they graduate and get licensed, that means they are competent enough.

So... this is what we usually get.... interns who only apply and wants to work in the summer. Being an intern is a year long process... It takes a few months to train a new colleague... and then we lose them because they go back to school. They forget their training and we have to refresh them. At CVS, interns are required to work a minimum of 8 to 10 hours a week. There are some interns that apply with that intention but there is always an excuse when school starts on why they cant work. I had an intern told me he cant work because he has volleyball practice to go to on weekends.......

When most students come to interview, they are not prepared for the process because it is their first job interview. Be prepared to answer questions such as why you want to work for the company? even if it you give a bull**** answer. Some people cant even buil**** that question so why should we hire you. They think because they show up, and that they are willing to work hard (which is subjective because hard to them is they will be on time, work for one summer, and be nice), they will be given a job. Other questions that you will be asked is customer service related questions, leadership questions, team work questions, from school or previous job experience if they had any.

The best time is to apply and interview with a supervisor in the winter so you can show that you can start right away, and be committed through out the school year. During the interview, Smile, be out going, ask lots of questions, show that you want this job desperately...

Reactions: 1 users
Why is working 40 hours/week in the summer (and then quitting) worse than working 8-10 hours/week during the school year? When an intern quits because he needs to be in school, it doesn't mean that he wants to stop working for CVS or so I think. How about coming back next summer? Does CVS not like that?

Did you read his lengthy piece?

Why is working 40 hours/week in the summer (and then quitting) worse than working 8-10 hours/week during the school year? When an intern quits because he needs to be in school, it doesn't mean that he wants to stop working for CVS or so I think. How about coming back next summer? Does CVS not like that?

No they don't like that. Why hire someone only for summer when there's interns who are willing to help out during the school year when there's short staffing as well as the summer. Also they want students who can balance both school and work. Ppl in my class actually work 16+ hrs a week ( some even 30+ hrs) while doing good in school and organization activities.

Pharmacy schools are pushing IPPE during the summer because they can't find sites during the fall and spring. Therefore, there are fewer paid positions during the summer. Why pay for interns when you can get them for free?

IPPE students are useless in terms of contribution to workflow, they're there for such a short amount of time and by the time they are minimally proficient, they're not there anymore.

And my general answer to the thread: we stopped advertising for interns a long time ago. If we are looking for interns, we selectively recruit from our rotating students after we have had a chance to "test drive" them on rotation. If we need interns at an inopportune time, we'll ask existing interns and pharmacists if there are any standout students in the pipeline that they know of.

This has greatly cut down on the duds that we get as we get to be extremely selective.

No they don't like that. Why hire someone only for summer when there's interns who are willing to help out during the school year when there's short staffing as well as the summer. Also they want students who can balance both school and work. Ppl in my class actually work 16+ hrs a week ( some even 30+ hrs) while doing good in school and organization activities.

Throughout my 4 years in pharmacy school, I worked 16 to 24 hours weekly, attended classes, club/organization meetings, studied, and worked out at the gym. It's definitely doable!

Reactions: 1 users
Throughout my 4 years in pharmacy school, I worked 16 to 24 hours weekly, attended classes, club/organization meetings, studied, and worked out at the gym. It's definitely doable!

Agreed, it's not that hard. I think I averaged 32 a week during the school year (and 40-48 during the summer, the place was generous with OT), but the hospital had super flexible scheduling and lots of project work. For institutions that don't have that flexibility, it would be difficult to achieve so many hours.

Plus, class attendance for me wasn't mandatory, and I was able to rely on classmates' notes + recorded lectures beamed to my TV.

Agreed, it's not that hard. I think I averaged 32 a week during the school year (and 40-48 during the summer, the place was generous with OT), but the hospital had super flexible scheduling and lots of project work. For institutions that don't have that flexibility, it would be difficult to achieve so many hours.

Plus, class attendance for me wasn't mandatory, and I was able to rely on classmates' notes + recorded lectures beamed to my TV.

I wish i had recorded lectures and non mandatory clas attendance :( all this would all be so much eaiser

I worked full time (40 or more hours a week)as a pharmacy intern during my 4 years in pharmacy school and it made passing tests easier.

It's all who you know. However, Everyone that I know who wanted an intern position found one. This is in FL btw.