Intern rights in FL and faxing controlled substances in FL Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neopharma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Can pharmacy interns transfer any drug (including controlled substances) in FL?
2) Do you need the hard copy before dispensing a Sch III-V or is fax alone sufficient?

In regards to the faxing issue, I am struggling to understand based on this in the law:

"except in the case..."
465.035 Dispensing of medicinal drugs pursuant to facsimile of prescription.

(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, it is lawful for a pharmacy to dispense medicinal drugs, including controlled substances authorized under subsection (2), based on reception of an electronic facsimile of the original prescription if all of the following conditions are met:
(a) In the course of the transaction the pharmacy complies with laws and administrative rules relating to pharmacies and pharmacists.
(b) Except in the case of the transmission of a prescription by a person authorized by law to prescribe medicinal drugs:
1. The facsimile system making the transmission provides the pharmacy receiving the transmission with audio communication via telephonic, electronic, or similar means with the person presenting the prescription.
2. At the time of the delivery of the medicinal drugs, the pharmacy has in its possession the original prescription for the medicinal drug involved.
3. The recipient of the prescription shall sign a log and shall indicate the name and address of both the recipient and the patient for whom the medicinal drug was prescribed.
(2) Controlled substances listed in Schedule II as defined in s. 893.03(2) may be dispensed as provided in this section to the extent allowed by 21 C.F.R. s. 1306.11.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Can pharmacy interns transfer any drug (including controlled substances) in FL?
2) Do you need the hard copy before dispensing a Sch III-V or is fax alone sufficient?

In regards to the faxing issue, I am struggling to understand based on this in the law:

"except in the case..."
465.035 Dispensing of medicinal drugs pursuant to facsimile of prescription.

(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, it is lawful for a pharmacy to dispense medicinal drugs, including controlled substances authorized under subsection (2), based on reception of an electronic facsimile of the original prescription if all of the following conditions are met:
(a) In the course of the transaction the pharmacy complies with laws and administrative rules relating to pharmacies and pharmacists.
(b) Except in the case of the transmission of a prescription by a person authorized by law to prescribe medicinal drugs:
1. The facsimile system making the transmission provides the pharmacy receiving the transmission with audio communication via telephonic, electronic, or similar means with the person presenting the prescription.
2. At the time of the delivery of the medicinal drugs, the pharmacy has in its possession the original prescription for the medicinal drug involved.
3. The recipient of the prescription shall sign a log and shall indicate the name and address of both the recipient and the patient for whom the medicinal drug was prescribed.
(2) Controlled substances listed in Schedule II as defined in s. 893.03(2) may be dispensed as provided in this section to the extent allowed by 21 C.F.R. s. 1306.11.

I believe it is saying that if the physician or someone authorized to write the prescription faxes it then you don't need the hard copy.

If, let's say the patient, who isn't authorized to write a prescription, faxes it to the pharmacy then a hard copy is needed.

Just a follow-up. Talked to my pharmacy manager, who I trust with my license.

You can accept c3-c5 scripts, except for adipex.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Intern can do transfers under direct supervision of a pharmacist.
2. Faxed in C3-C5 are acceptable. No stamp/pre-printed signatures allowed. No E-prescribed control substances are permitted.
3. Phoned in C3 is authorized for 1 month supply only, with zero additional refill allowed.
4. All control prescriptions written in the state of Florida after September 1st 2011 must be on a blue or green background, Board approved counterfeit-proof pad. If the wrong pads were to be used; If it's a CII medication, patient must take the prescription back to office to have it re-written. If it's a CIII-CV, a pharmacist may contact MD to get the order verbally or via fax. This law does not apply to prescriptions coming from other states.

escribing is allowed for all controls (subject to security requirements). Adipex as well as other weight loss controlled substances need to be handwritten for the first fill, then subsequently can be sent via fax or phone (assuming they arent CII, which there arent any to my knowledge). Faxing is allowed for CIII-CIV.