Intern Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaityKaty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been through the process before, or perhaps going through it now... when did you get your intern year block and/or shift schedule? I sent my requests two weeks ago but nothing has been posted onto our scheduling site. I would love to know what I'm gonna be doing in a few months, but is it too early yet? Does anyone else have their schedules at this point? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have been through the process before, or perhaps going through it now... when did you get your intern year block and/or shift schedule? I sent my requests two weeks ago but nothing has been posted onto our scheduling site. I would love to know what I'm gonna be doing in a few months, but is it too early yet? Does anyone else have their schedules at this point? Thanks!

Making the schedule can be a very very long and complicated task, and the bigger the program the harder it is.

For intern year I got the year-long block schedule a week or two into May and I didn't get my daily schedule for the first month until 3 weeks before we started. In general we've gotten our daily shift schedule about 2 months before the block started.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm in a big program (almost 90 residents). I got my year schedule in early June last year. The only thing not detailed was our ED shifts, other than that I knew all my days/weekends off for the whole year. I don't envy the chiefs.......

Simmer down, patience is a virtue. My program of about 95 residents just released block schedules for next year. Depending on where you are, your program may be waiting on other specialties that rotate through peds (like ER, Family Med or Anesthesia interns) to finalize their schedules so they know exactly how many people they need to put on wards or the like.

Also keep in mind, not every program will plan call days/off days out all at once. Some will, but lots give you the schedule for things like ER shifts or call days just a couple months ahead of time, which provides a bit more flexibility in some ways.

Lastly, being chief is filled with many terrible jobs, the schedule is just one. But remember, they agreed to the position...they could have said no.