Intern year electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilkIsGood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The electives I got are rheum (3 wks), derm (3wks), path (2 wks), allergy (2 wks), integrative medicine (4 wks), and onc (3 wks). Didn't get dermpath or ID which I requested above some of the electives I got. Should I try to switch some of the electives out or keep what I have?

Members don't see this ad.

The electives I got are rheum (3 wks), derm (3wks), path (2 wks), allergy (2 wks), integrative medicine (4 wks), and onc (3 wks). Didn't get dermpath or ID which I requested above some of the electives I got. Should I try to switch some of the electives out or keep what I have?

I would simply pick electives in which you are interested. Or better yet, I would pick electives that allow you to spend as little time at work as possible. You'll see plenty of derm as a resident. The other electives may be helpful but I wouldn't force yourself to take them if you don't have any interest in the subject. I remember using elective time as a means to recharge in between the more rigorous rotations during internship year and didn't regret it at all.