Internal+FM program - how competitive are they?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovebes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My Step 1 score isn't too high(low third). And I'm a USFMG.
I'm a M3 and pretty much at the naiive status of how plan my M4 and residency track :p
I'm searching of possible programs that can touch both my interest in Cardiology and Family medicine, and I found two programs that do combined Internal / Family Medicine. I want to equip myself for rural medicine, but my main focus in my career would be Cardiology.

Only two programs are such:
St Vincent Hospitals and Health Care Center Program
Eastern Virginia Medical School Program

Does anyone know how competitive they are to get in? They only accept 2 or 3 people. Is that by definition competitive?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Purely anecdotal from an M2, but I used to work in a mildly rural area that had a cardiologist who would see general med patients for "fun" without any additional training. Unless you have a burning desire to see peds under 12 you could still be a rural doc with a wool blazer and black bag when you feel like it with just the regular IM-cards route.

I have worked with at least a couple (may have been more but didn't ask specifically which track they were) residents at one of these programs. I would imagine they would probably be more competitive then standard FM just by virtue of only having two in the country.

I would probably be pursuing other options. FM is a really broad field that you could graduate from a 3 year FM residency and be doing hospitalist work, outpatient, ER, deliveries, C sections, even minor surgeries. Many residents who do FM but decide to do inpatient work do it straight out of their 3 year FM residency, but (anecdotally) about half do an additional 1 year fellowship in IM. If you were to do one of those then you would either be one year ahead of your IM/FM colleagues or the same time commitment with many more locations to consider. In short, it takes an extra year but I really don't think it would give you much tangible benefit. When I asked one of the residents "why did you sign up for IM/FM?" he answered "still trying to figure that out myself!"

I don't think we could accurately answer your questions without knowing why you are considering this route. Yes it gives you more inpatient experience. However many FM residencies will give you your desired increased inpatient exposure including ICU's if you desire. I suppose being boarded in IM leaves IM fellowships on the table, but I would have to imagine that you would have much better chances of IM fellowship placement out of an academic IM program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, much thanks to you guys. I'm just starting research on M4 electives and what my career would be like, and my preference is to enjoy practicing/learning cardiology, but still be a doctor that can serve the community, and not just go deep in Cardiology (academically speaking). I guess for me at this stage would be to research IM and see where that can take me. If it crosses path with FM, I guess I'll think about it then.

Anyways, thanks again!!

Ah, much thanks to you guys. I'm just starting research on M4 electives and what my career would be like, and my preference is to enjoy practicing/learning cardiology, but still be a doctor that can serve the community, and not just go deep in Cardiology (academically speaking). I guess for me at this stage would be to research IM and see where that can take me. If it crosses path with FM, I guess I'll think about it then.

Anyways, thanks again!!
If you like cards that much then do a family practice residency with your electives in cardiology.

Also, you can tailor your electives to perform cardiac stress tests as an FM doc. I don't know about cardiac echoes.

Quick question, how competitive is family medicine this year? I am getting a bit worried because of my number of interviews. I am a reapplicant switching to family medicine with only 9 interviews lined up, thanks.

Quick question, how competitive is family medicine this year? I am getting a bit worried because of my number of interviews. I am a reapplicant switching to family medicine with only 9 interviews lined up, thanks.
Whaaaat, ONLY 9?????:eek::doctor::biglove: I fear you will forever be working as a CNA.;)

nine FM interviews is very bountiful :) you should be in good shape.

I know 9 is enough to have a great chance of matching, but bountiful? Really?

I tend to use hyperbole. But in all honesty if he/she has decent stats and no red flags then yea, that's more than enough I think.

ugh, it's hard to gauge the competitiveness.

got a rejection from a program that usually goes unfilled

i'm just in catastrophe mode right now.

*** PLEASE DON'T QUOTE*** i'd like to erase this at some point

Last edited:
, 2012 US MD grad. i expected more than 9/30+ apps, sigh, i guess they don't like my ERAS photo :oops:

even got a rejection from a program that usually goes unfilled

*** PLEASE DON'T QUOTE*** i'd like to erase this at some point
There's your problem right there. Make sure you have a good story as to why you took a year off and what you did with that year off.

PS: I left out most of your post as you requested, if you'd like me to edit the quote more just say so.

oops, i was doing my IM prelim year, which i really enjoyed, hence the switch to primary care, though desire a broader range of patients. no gaps in training, prior academic or professional problems. eligible for full licensure (in certain states, though not where i currently reside)

Ah, I see. I really can't fairly comment on the competitiveness for a resident re-applicant. Do you feel that your nine IVs went well? Are there at least a couple programs showing you some love post IV?

one (great program), but only gone to four so far due to coverage issues at work which is limiting my availability. others were nice during the interview.

Ah, so you have over half of your IV remaining still. Sucks it's late in the season, but it's better than nothing. The good news is that you have a program showing you interest post IV. Good luck, keep us posted on your match!

Whew, matched to my #1 which is a large unopposed, urban, university-affiliated Texas program.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it Texas A&M-Bryan/College Station??
I wouldn't consider BCS *urban*, but it's definitely not rural either lol.

Sounds to me like Baylor-Garland, Memorial Hermann - Sugarland, or Methodist - Baytown.

Anyway congrats to petegriffin!

I wouldn't consider BCS *urban*, but it's definitely not rural either lol.

Sounds to me like Baylor-Garland, Memorial Hermann - Sugarland, or Methodist - Baytown.

Anyway congrats to petegriffin!

Haha, I completely didn't see the "urban" part. I think it was just wishful thinking because I was curious about that program.