Internal medicine last

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fatalis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I received my schedule for 3rd year cores and I have internal med last [ends in may]. Should I plan on taking step 2 after this or will that be too late for residency apps,etc? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your residency applications (ERAS) goes out in September. So if you take Step 2CK after 3rd year, you should get your scores back before/by the time you apply.

thanks! I was reading somewhere that it is best to take step 2 during 3rd year after internal but since internal is last, I don't see any other option.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! I was reading somewhere that it is best to take step 2 during 3rd year after internal but since internal is last, I don't see any other option.
You don't take Step 2 during MS-3. You take it during MS-4.

Most importantly: You don't HAVE to have your score to submit ERAS. If you get your score back after a certain deadline, you have the option of including it. If it helps--include it. If it hurts--don't. If it's roughly the same as Step 1 use your judgement--but I assume most programs would look favorably on the fact that you have it behind you.

I think it's great to take it after IM.

Over 1/2 of the review book material is IM. Even a chunk of the surgical section is a repeat of IM.

Kill the shelf, then you can focus on Peds, OB, Psych, Trauma and Biostats reviewing IM as you go.

I had one friend take Step 2 after IM but before the end of third year. He'd had every other rotation but surgery and thought he'd just get it out of the way. Took it around the same time as the IM shelf and figured since he knew that material and he'd been exposed to most of the rest over the last year, he'd be fine. He's also the only person I know whose Step 2 score went down compared to their Step 1. (Average person goes up 15 points, the few people who go down usually do so because they take it at the end of fourth year when they give absolutely no f--ks.).

Now, that's n=1 and your mileage may vary, but if you actually care about the score, I'd say you're better off taking it after you're done with all of your core rotations and take a couple weeks with minimal other responsibilities to study for it.

i agree ,you can focus on Peds, OB, Psych, Trauma and Biostats reviewing IM as you go. thanks
1tEmRgu
Sometimes I wonder about u.

I'm taking it this July. I took Medicine shelf in May and that info is fresh. Just gotta study more Peds and Vaginal Bleeding (OB/GYN). I'm doing CS in December.