Internal medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medguy24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out what the average salary for an internal medicine doctor in NY is but all the job websites just write "competitive salary" what's considered a competitive salary in NY?

Also NHSC is offering me a scholarship if I commit to work in a undeserved area in NY (physician shortage area) would my salary be higher or lower or same in this area?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also is the number your going to give me accurate? Because I see numbers all over the place...
Some websites say
Others
Others
Others
Others
And even

So 130,000 all the way to 260,000...
That's so far apart

Your looking around 180,000 for ny. I would imagine you would be paid a bit less in shortage areas since they are Mostly very rural in nys. Only consider that scholarship if your Positive you wanna be a pcp.

Your looking around 180,000 for ny. I would imagine you would be paid a bit less in shortage areas since they are Mostly very rural in nys. Only consider that scholarship if your Positive you wanna be a pcp.
Why would I be paid less if it's a shortage area? Would I make less even if I open my own private practice?

That might be one of the reasons why it is a shortage area, the salary isn't attractive enough to influence a doctor to go there.

Reactions: 1 users
I was under the impression that typically shortage areas pay MORE because there's more of a need. Versus places like Boston with tons of doctors (and where doctors would like to practice post - residency) which keeps salaries down a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would I be paid less if it's a shortage area? Would I make less even if I open my own private practice?

Because medicine salaries are not simply based on supply and demand. Again many of these areas are going to be very rural like near the Catskills. The cost of living here is low which demands a lower salary. Your also going to have a above average share of medicaid patients also driving down your salary. Now how much lower I have no idea... I also don't believe you can set up your own private practice. I'm pretty sure you must work for a already approved site in a approved area.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
[ QUOTE="mik30102, post: 15756185, member: 430715"]Because medicine salaries are not simply based on supply and demand. Again many of these areas are going to be very rural like near the Catskills. The cost of living here is low which demands a lower salary. Your also going to have a above average share of medicaid patients also driving down your salary. Now how much lower I have no idea... I also don't believe you can set up your own private practice. I'm pretty sure you must work for a already approved site in a approved area.[/QUOTE]
So what do you think is the average sakary for NYC?

I also don't believe you can set up your own private practice. I'm pretty sure you must work for a already approved site in a approved area.
The sites have to be developed and approved. You need to interview for them (like a real job!).
Contact the NHSC folks and ask them how many sites have been developed in your specialty and preferred geography.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because medicine salaries are not simply based on supply and demand. Again many of these areas are going to be very rural like near the Catskills. The cost of living here is low which demands a lower salary. Your also going to have a above average share of medicaid patients also driving down your salary. Now how much lower I have no idea... I also don't believe you can set up your own private practice. I'm pretty sure you must work for a already approved site in a approved area.

This depends. There are shortage areas where PCP's are paid higher than areas concentrated with doctors. California, especially San Francisco and San Diego, is a famous example of not so great pay for PCP's, since doctors are willing to take a pay cut to live in a very nice area.

So it depends.

This depends. There are shortage areas where PCP's are paid higher than areas concentrated with doctors. California, especially San Francisco and San Diego, is a famous example of not so great pay for PCP's, since doctors are willing to take a pay cut to live in a very nice area.

So it depends.
Well what about ny?

I was under the impression that typically shortage areas pay MORE because there's more of a need. Versus places like Boston with tons of doctors (and where doctors would like to practice post - residency) which keeps salaries down a bit.

In general physician shortage areas, especially in the rural setting, pay less. This is apart of why they're offering you that juicy scholarship- to offset the difference and add extra enticement.

I'm trying to find out what the average salary for an internal medicine doctor in NY is but all the job websites just write "competitive salary" what's considered a competitive salary in NY?

Also NHSC is offering me a scholarship if I commit to work in a undeserved area in NY (physician shortage area) would my salary be higher or lower or same in this area?
Thanks!

Didn't you just make a thread about average salaries for PCP's in NY?

Quit worrying so much about your salary and let your interests guide you. The process of medical school is designed for you to have time to figure out what you want to do and what kind of lifestyle you want.

I know someone who makes 220 as a hospitalist in a very (!) urban area here in FL. They work 12 hours a day for 7 days and then get 7 days off.

I know someone who makes 220 as a hospitalist in a very (!) urban area here in FL. They work 12 hours a day for 7 days and then get 7 days off.
Hospitalist? They're salaries tend to be high, from what I read on the FM and IM forums.

That's what I thought. The idea of 7 on 7 off is interesting. Plenty of time to do lot's of stuff with that 220k. If you're not too tired, that is.
From what I understand she gets more tired staying home! You could also work in the week that you are off, for say an outpatient office, and make some extra. I'm pretty interested in the career path myself.