MD & DO International applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuyulee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

International application here. Really stuck now. Third time application for MD and first time for DO. Applied to wide range of MD schools the first time but only interviewed and waitlisted at 1. Second time I only applied to mid-lower tier MD schools but again interviewed and waitlisted for the same school. Still waiting to hear back and starting my 3rd application cycle.

Application summary:

- 34 MCAT (11 PS, 11 BS, 12 VR)
- 3.46 cGPA, 3.44 sGPA (graduated from a top 10 liberal arts college in 2010, finished a accelerated SMP type MS program with a GPA of only 3.15)
- Grew up in many countries so language and cultural competency tends to be what I try to sell on. Fluent in English, Chinese and Spanish. Conversational in Japanese and Portuguese
- Various medical volunteer/intern experiences abroad (ex. Africa, Latin-America, China)
- 1 years of biochemistry research. Not published
- A variety of leadership teaching experiences in college (TA, tutor, club leader, etc)

Currently taking a gap year, probably will be working in hospital as medical data analyst
- Also volunteer ~8 hrs in the same hospital
- Meeting regularly with a DO and try to shadow her and hopefully get a LOR soon

I only have had been interview by the school where I did my MS at so I really not sure how to try to improve my application at this stage. I suspect the combination of low GPA during my MS program and the fact that I am not a PR or US citizen is really hurting my odds. Plus the fact I that my numbers are mostly quite average. Anyone with a good idea how I should approach all this? Also anyone know if DO schools actually take a good number of international students or not?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I suspect the combination of low GPA during my MS program and the fact that I am not a PR or US citizen is really hurting my odds.

Your SMP performance has basically destroyed your shot at MD. You would've been much better off not having done it at all.

Look into DO schools.

Problems that I see are that you have essentially no non-clinical volunteer work, no stateside clinical experience, no shadowing, a really bad SMP performance, and to put the final nail in the coffin - International. Even without the poor SMP and International status you would have trouble because you haven't done some of the most basic "requirements" to show that you know what you're getting into and that you want to do it. Your low SMP gpa tells Adcoms that you won't be able to handle the academic rigors of medical school and thus just make things so much worse. Being International, you are held to higher standards than US applicants, which basically completes the 1, 2, 3 knockout punch. Also many schools will only let you apply to them a set number of times before you are no longer eligible.

You should wait to hear some advice from our adcom members (specifically on DO eligibility), but imo International may be one of your last viable options and personally I would recommend an alternate career over Carribbean schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not a PR or US citizen is really hurting my odds.
Puerto Ricans are born US citizens.

You'll be fine if you apply broadly to DO programs that take international students. The 3.15 is not ideal, but I don't think it'll be disqualifying.

There might be a hack if you really want to be an MD, if you are willing to move to New Mexico for a year, you can apply as In state and they won't care if you are not PR or Citizen. At least 4 years ago that was the policy. They don't take out OOS applicant period so they have a really low MCAT and GPA which you definitely have made the cut. While you are there, you can do some local community oriented medical work to built ties.

How did I know this hack? I was once an international students, without PR or US science education. I researched every single school's policy on admitting international students, very very carefully. It took me 7 years to get both and to apply. That's that. I think even for DO, a very service oriented degree, you are short on clinical experience. By short, I don't mean just for the application, short, in terms of, you probably want to know more about medicine in real life for yourself.

There might be a hack if you really want to be an MD, if you are willing to move to New Mexico for a year, you can apply as In state and they won't care if you are not PR or Citizen. At least 4 years ago that was the policy. They don't take out OOS applicant period so they have a really low MCAT and GPA which you definitely have made the cut. While you are there, you can do some local community oriented medical work to built ties.

How did I know this hack? I was once an international students, without PR or US science education. I researched every single school's policy on admitting international students, very very carefully. It took me 7 years to get both and to apply. That's that. I think even for DO, a very service oriented degree, you are short on clinical experience. By short, I don't mean just for the application, short, in terms of, you probably want to know more about medicine in real life for yourself.

Just a few clarifications. By PR I mean Permanant Resisident, not Puerto Rico. So just saying I do not have a green card and I am here on a student visa. So I was wondering what you meant by international here and how did you get to become instate for NM? Also it took you 7 years starting to achieve what exactly?

Also I think I wasn't clear with my EC. I have 200+ hrs of clinical and non-clinical volunteering experience since college. And currently I am doing 8hrs day volunteering at the local hospital (not just 8 total hrs), sorry for the lack of clarity.

I have already been accepted into a Australian Medical school (UQ) but not sure if that is the right path to take. Additionally, as many of you mentioned, my poor SMP GPA is a major nail in the coffin so there seems to be very little I can do now. Anyone in DO schools know actualy international students in their class? Is all lost now?

. So I was wondering what you meant by international here and how did you get to become instate for NM? Also it took you 7 years starting to achieve what exactly?

International students are defined universally as those without US citizenship and PR (yes, I know what you meant lol) . I did not go live in NM, they told me that if you could live there for a year, they'd consider you instate and will disregard your intentional status. It took my 7 years to become a PR and to get a second college degree in the US (something you already have).